Author Topic: Userscript: This forum's old 'show all unread' link  (Read 1725 times)

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Userscript: This forum's old 'show all unread' link
« on: March 22, 2007, 08:30:41 AM »
It seems that since jitspoe has updated SMF it has been driving me absolutely nuts that I can't see every unread post on the forum.  The 'Show all unread posts' link has been replaced by the 'show unread posts since last visit'.  I'm usually not able to read all of the new posts in one sitting, and I was constantly finding myself missing lots of topics.  Then I found the link to the 'All unread posts' view, but I constantly hit the 'show unread posts since last visit' link at the top/bottom of each page which brings be back to where I started.

After dealing with this for a while I've broken down and wrote a script to change everything back to they way I liked it.  You can install the Greasemonkey script here if you'd like.

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
Re: Userscript: This forum's old 'show all unread' link
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 09:42:21 AM »
You might want to explain how to install it.  If it's just a click to install script, I'm getting a "document is undefined" error.

I wonder if it is meant for use Firefox ONLY...

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 09:43:26 AM »
:D
And I thought I was going mad thinking thats how its always been.

Edit:
You might want to explain how to install it.  If it's just a click to install script, I'm getting a "document is undefined" error.

You need Greasemonkey

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 09:46:55 AM »
You have to have "Greasmonkey" to install the script or is "Greasmonkey" the actual browser? LOL

*EDIT*  Ahhh it's a Firefox extension....

Well, I've never heard of it so to people who haven't used it, it might be good to give instructions. :)

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 09:48:17 AM »
Greasemonkey is an addon for Firefox.
Doug + Jimmy ftw. ::)

PiCaSSo

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 09:49:07 AM »
Yeah just read it bitmate... And Hi there :)

Jimmy left tha house last night...  Maybe he'll come visit again this weekend. :)

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 09:49:56 AM »
*** off topic alert ***

Howdi buddy :P

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 05:37:13 PM »
I can change it back.  The main reason I did this was because of all the new people coming in and replying to things from like 2 years ago since they all showed up as "new".

What I do, actually, is drag this link: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0;sort=last_post to the area next to the address bar in Opera, and it creates kind of a quick launch icon that I can just click on.  Shows all unread posts and sorts oldest to newest, so I can reply to the oldest stuff first.