Author Topic: New A+  (Read 1544 times)

Gold_Leader

• VM-68
New A+
« on: April 02, 2007, 08:41:23 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone has taken the new A+ exam they came out with and the old one as well.  Just curious to know if the new one is easier then the old one.

KiLo

• Autococker
Re: New A+
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 08:43:54 PM »
I was supposed to take the old one but never did. I know some people that did take the old one and they said it was hard as hell. But I didn't know that they came out with a new one.

Gold_Leader

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 08:46:37 PM »
Ya the old I know is 2 sperate tests.  One hardware and then the other is software.  The new one consists of both and also has a focus point section.  I think you can choose from 3 focus point topics.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 08:52:21 PM »
The new one are a lot more practical that the older ones. 
Howerver you will find better (obtainable) study material for older ones, which are available until June from what I've heard.

My workplace requires new hires to obtain their A+ certifications within 6 months, so I'll probably be able to gather some better feedback for you in the coming months from some of my newer colleagues.

I didn't find any of the CompTIA exams difficult if you're really good at cramming.

Let me know if you have any more questions about the older exams or want some direction on good study material.

Gold_Leader

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 08:58:58 PM »
In my computer engineering class we take practice A+ exams all the time.  I have the option of taking the new one or old one.  I'm trying to decide which one would be easier.

kNoC

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 09:57:16 AM »
A+ is a piss poor excuse for a certification....

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 04:10:34 PM »
kNoC only says that because he got a B-.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 04:30:27 PM »
No, kNoC is completely right on that one.  =/

kNoC

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 09:30:11 AM »
kNoC only says that because he got a B-.

haha, thats hilarious...

^$hooter^

• Stingray
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 12:07:20 AM »
I have my A+, its just a starting point, I have been offered some help desk positions with it. I can make more at my current job though. If I could continue my education and live comfortably as I am now on these help desk positions I would in a heartbeat for the experience but I can't, so I'm stuck being an sales associate. It's a good certification to break into the it field with and get experience. Though I would highly recommend after getting it, going for more certifications unless you just want to be a help desk guy all your life. Too many people think that OMFG, I'm A+ certified I can do everything. When in reality its just a starting point. Ive been told by several of my mentors, If you can't get your A+, you might as well forget a career in the IT world. It's not a waste to get as it will give you basis of knowledge to get other higher certifications. If you skip the A+ your going to have alot harder time getting your other certifications, as well as being behind your peers. The more certifications, education, and experience you can put on your resume the better.

For example:
Candidate A:
A+, Network +, and CCIE
Bachelors Computer Engineering
3yrs Network Admin

Candidate B:
Network +, CCIE
Bachelors Computer Engineering
3yrs Network Admin

Whos going to get the job?
Yes, I realize that Candidate B could easily go get his A+ Ceritification. The point is that Candidate A actually did. This shows employers that your dedicated and just dont go for flashiness, and gives them more ways to use you. If both job interviews went well and both showed the capability of filling the position. In this scenario, it basically came down to the line. That A+ on Candidate A's resume will push him over the top, JUST BECAUSE HE HAS IT.

If you have any training classes for the A+ test I would take the one that your training is specified for. If you do not have training I would take the old one considering you only have to pass two parts to get your certification.

Just remember anything you can add to your resume as long as it is positive, is not a waste of time. The more you have compared to your peers the better and youll be the man with the job, while theyr'e saying doing what you did is a waste.