Author Topic: Digital Paint Wiki  (Read 3048 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Digital Paint Wiki
« on: February 06, 2006, 02:08:06 PM »
Here's a more official thread about the new wiki.  While I had so me cool ideas for creating a wiki from scratch, I don't really have the time to do it.  At least, I felt my time would be better spent doing something that hasn't already been done.

The old wiki got messed up in the site move, but it's still viewable here: http://digitalpaint.planetquake.gamespy.com/testwiki1/pb2wiki.php

The new wiki is here: http://digitalpaint.planetquake.gamespy.com/wiki/ -- go ahead and tinker around in the playground if you want to.  That section is currently open to everyone.

Before we start going all out, though, we need to come up with a good structure to it.  I was thinking something along the lines of:

- console
-- client commands and settings
-- server commands and settings
-- example scripts and configs
- community
-- clans
-- biographies (or perhaps "player profiles" or just "players")
- development
-- mapping
-- coding
-- sounds

There are a few other things I need to figure out how to organize: admin area, help/support/troubleshooting, maps, faq, guides, servers

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Digital Paint Wiki
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 05:54:44 PM »
No feedback?  :-\

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 06:16:46 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:42:14 AM by P!nk »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 06:25:06 PM »
After dealing with dokuwiki a bit, I'm thinking it may be better for me to just finish up the one I started.  Dokuwiki seems to be really slow, doesn't match the theme of the site, and is lacking some features I want.

MrRiblets

• Stingray
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 07:02:52 PM »
Yah I find it very slow. :'(

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 07:54:01 PM »
i think if it matched the site theme it would be a whole lot better. to me that one looks like it could be one of thousands exactly the same. out-of-the-box model.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 08:08:13 PM »
It is the out-of-the box model. :)  I haven't gotten around to making a new theme for it.  I think I may keep working on my own wiki, though, and just ditch this one.  It's too slow to be practical, and it doesn't have an "include" feature.  There's a plugin, but it seems rather limited, and it's not installed by default.  For things like console commands, I want to be able to break them up into smaller groups, then be able to include those on different pages.  Once I get build 16 wrapped up, maybe I'll focus back on the wiki again, as I'm tired of answering the same questions over and over.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 08:11:42 PM »
well, if you can handle the work jits, i think it would be much better to create on of your own.

but maybe its just that dokuwiki isn't very good in itself. Are there other's that could be used?

at the end of the day bespoke is always better, just requires alot more effort :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 08:18:56 PM »
bespoke?

There are others, but I don't care for most of them.  Many run on perl, which gamespy doesn't support.  They also tend to be case-sensitive, which is a pain in the butt from a user standpoint.  Most of them are slow, and pretty much all of them aren't tailored to our needs.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 08:27:39 PM »
bespoke, i didn't know that was just an english term?

means tailor made, or custom made for a specific purpose or specific requirements. but yeah like i said, if you can give us a tailor made one that would be by far the best approach

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 03:41:12 PM »
So Jit, which one will it be??

We have 2 huge additions to the wiki:
The mapping tutorials
The server/client commands guide.

DO I need to go in and back all of that up and save it somewhere first??

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 04:23:41 PM »
Dokuwiki saves backups each time a page is edited, so that won't be necessary, unless you want to do it, "just in case."

Burt_Gummer

• Stingray
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 09:53:00 PM »
If dokuwiki is too slow, have you thought about MediaWiki (http://www.mediawiki.org/)?

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 08:09:13 AM »
I don't care what we use, as long as it isn't sticki-wiki :o

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 11:11:11 AM »
Edit: My bad.. this dokuwiki isn't the same wiki i was referring to... umm is there two paintball wikis?