Author Topic: Visual Studio Confused - Compiling the Wrong Files  (Read 1499 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Visual Studio Confused - Compiling the Wrong Files
« on: May 23, 2007, 09:28:06 PM »
Ok, this is weird.  For some reason visual studio is trying to compile files that HAVEN'T changed and isn't compiling files that HAVE.  It's like it has a list of files that it always compiles no matter what (practically the whole project), but a few files don't get compiled ever (unless I do a "rebuild project").

Every time I try to run it (F5), it says, "The project configuration(s) are out of date:" and wants to recompile a whole bunch of crap.  Really annoying.

I doubt there are many VS gurus out there, but I figured I'd throw this out just in case.  It costs a lot of development time having to rebuild the entire project every time I make a change.

Cobo

• Autococker
Re: Visual Studio Confused - Compiling the Wrong Files
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 09:34:04 PM »
Have you tried deleting the debug or release folder (or whatever you are using) to start with a clean build?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 12:28:41 AM »
How it all started is that I modified a file, but when I tried to run it, the file hadn't been compiled -- it was doing some weird stuff, so I did a rebuild all.  After that, practically every file in the project wants to compile every time.

I think I messed up my system date at one point and that is causing it, but even after modifying and re-saving files, it still doesn't work right.

maxpower

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 02:47:39 PM »
you update visual studio lately? Cause microsoft's updates do more damage then good.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 03:03:38 PM »
Nope.