Author Topic: Integrating The 'FunName' Clans Found in Dp Discussion  (Read 2372 times)

lekky

• Autococker
Integrating The 'FunName' Clans Found in Dp Discussion
« on: July 02, 2007, 01:12:42 PM »
So just following on from the dp is dead thread, one thing that was mention is that the game is not dying, there are more in-game users, more forum members and more forum activity than ever before. There are also many clans out there.

The problem is a lack of structured interaction in and between these clans. I think we should try and actively get these players and clans to irc so we don't keep matching the same clan over and over, and it should also help these guys develop matching serious clans.

This thread is really just to discuss some ideas we can get them integrated. A couple of ideas to start off:

+ Each stable clan take on a 'b' team. This has been tried before with varying levels of success. If we actually all agree on this I think it could help alot. Players will be drawn to the big name clans, and will surely develop under some form of guidance

+ Similar to the above, but each stable clan has a feeder clan. Some clan they can train with and help develop their players, integrate them into the community etc. Similar to the above but different as the other clan will still be their own entity, but will be 'helped' by their parent clan. Could be good for the stable clans to get some young blood in too.

b00nlander

• Autococker
Re: Integrating The 'FunName' Clans Found in Dp Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 01:20:58 PM »
+ Each stable clan take on a 'b' team. This has been tried before with varying levels of success. If we actually all agree on this I think it could help alot. Players will be drawn to the big name clans, and will surely develop under some form of guidance

+ Similar to the above, but each stable clan has a feeder clan. Some clan they can train with and help develop their players, integrate them into the community etc. Similar to the above but different as the other clan will still be their own entity, but will be 'helped' by their parent clan. Could be good for the stable clans to get some young blood in too.

I love both ideas.  We've tried the 2nd, and failed (but like 2 years ago, when we were still new).  I guess that could work out :)

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 02:37:01 PM »
Make the next build load up saying the irc channel and network with some advertisements for #paintball. I think if they see that every time they load up their game it, it could integrate them into the clan scene through irc. Instead of the "Loading" screen, it would switch to that small little advertisement.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 05:52:25 PM »
When we were a 'FunName' Clan we would have loved to have a clan like qehs or memi to guide us through :D
But we managed to get in IRC ourselves and we are now almost 8 months old (a clan that started in ub_cliffs) so i think every clan is able to do the same.

Anarchy

• Stingray
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 08:20:43 PM »
i completely agree. i like the first one the most. itd be great idea

Brewsky

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 04:41:01 PM »
Make the next build load up saying the irc channel and network with some advertisements for #paintball. I think if they see that every time they load up their game it, it could integrate them into the clan scene through irc. Instead of the "Loading" screen, it would switch to that small little advertisement.

This is probably the best way to get more traffic in IRC and give the new people a chance to interact with the clan community.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 04:43:44 PM »

If we were to do this we would need  a good guide to introduce them to IRC.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 10:51:34 AM »

It's almost worth using our community development talent to create an open-source IRC client that could be bundled with paintball, so that when it's installed it sets up the reigstry so that a player can click an "IRC" link in game and it would connect to irc://whatever.net using the IRC client. 

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 10:57:23 AM »
Well, I made an IRC bot/client once, its pretty easy to do. But its better if we just reference mIRC or some other client on DP2.

bctrainers

• PGP
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 11:07:22 AM »

It's almost worth using our community development talent to create an open-source IRC client that could be bundled with paintball, so that when it's installed it sets up the reigstry so that a player can click an "IRC" link in game and it would connect to irc://whatever.net using the IRC client. 
Check out the UT IRC chat client UI here: http://bctrainers.homeip.net/ut/ - I can see something like that being added on to DP. It will completely boost the user count on the IRC which than allows for more clans to challenge one another and such. :)

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 03:15:02 PM »
On a future release we could also have for the loading screen lots of different clan IRC channels also the "b team" sounds good although I'm currently clanless (anybody want to take me in?) so couldn't make one.