Author Topic: When I start the game, sound loops and everything is very slow  (Read 2739 times)

matt murder

when i start Paintball2, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. if im lucky everything will be fine and i can go to play join game and join a server and everything is ok. but most of the time the sound loops and everything is incredibly slow, and i am forced to type "`exit" and try again. if i am somewhat lucky, trying again will fix it. however most of the time it does the same thing. "`vid_restart" same thing.

what is going on? im on a IBM Thinkpad (idk if its A30 or A31) heres the specs:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (DirectX 9.0c)   
Mobile Intel Pentium 4M, 2000 MHz
512 MB  (DDR SDRAM)   
Video Adapter   ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500  (16 MB)
Video Adapter   ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500  (16 MB)
3D Accelerator   ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 (M7)
Audio Adapter   Intel 82801CAM ICH3-M - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-1]

yesterday i even downloaded the newest ATI driver and it didnt help.

Cobo

• Autococker
Re: When I start the game, sound loops and everything is very slow
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 12:04:31 PM »
Have you tried turning reflective water off?

matt murder

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 12:08:16 PM »
yes i have reflective water and caustics off. its running fullscreen and native resolution though.

the thing is, when i get it running it works like a charm. my pc is old but this game runs fine when i get past the start screen.

matt murder

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 03:02:30 PM »
restarting the computer may have helped but i think it was just a coincidence. ill see if it fixes it in the future.

new problem. i was trying to connect to one of graffiti paint's pubs, and it said i need a global log in. but i was already logged in. however i have already forgotten my password. i have it set to auto log in and remember password, but is there any way i can retrieve it? i can provide other info if needed.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 03:04:40 PM »
From what I've read it can NOT be retrieved, however I'm sure if you (registered and then) PMed Jitspoe, he'd be glad to RESET it for you.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 03:40:18 PM »
Sounds like either,
a) The driver isn't working correctly and sometimes the game is running in software emulation mode.
b) There is a background process using up all your CPU and causing the game to run slowly.
c) You are starting multiple instances of the game up.

As for the login problem, go to Setup/global login profile and try logging in with your remembered password.  There has been a lot of activity lately, so the login server is getting backlogged.  That could be what happened to you.  Also, make sure your name is set to one of the names you have registered.  And use a password you can remember. :P

matt murder

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 03:09:28 AM »
Well it's not a background process using all my CPU because when it gets all weird and slow, it's Paintball2 that's using all the CPU. I am also not running multiple instances of it, there is only one Paintball2.exe in task manager.

So I assume it must be A. Does anyone know how to fix this?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 12:53:48 PM »
Go to http://www.ati.com and see if you can download some updated drivers.

matt murder

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 02:43:43 PM »
ATI doesn't have the drivers for Mobility Radeon 7500 so I got them from IBM still no luck.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 06:04:04 PM »
I don't know.  Laptop drivers tend to be outdated, and ATI drivers tend to be bad in general, so there mere be nothing you can do about it.

matt murder

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 06:02:16 PM »
It's alright though because I'm getting a new computer with an NVidia GeForce either a 7600GT or 7900 GS. Not too far away, getting it at the beginning of next month and I can deal until then. :D

From what I've read it can NOT be retrieved, however I'm sure if you (registered and then) PMed Jitspoe, he'd be glad to RESET it for you.

What do you mean by register? Here at the forums?

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 06:08:13 PM »
Yes

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 11:44:25 PM »
It's alright though because I'm getting a new computer with an NVidia GeForce either a 7600GT

If you're getting a new computer, don't get a multiple year old card.   Get a DirectX 10 or you'll regret it.

matt murder

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 03:13:14 AM »
If you're getting a new computer, don't get a multiple year old card.   Get a DirectX 10 or you'll regret it.
[/quote

DX10 cards are worthless right now. I don't need need DX10 and I won't need it for a few years. I don't play many games just this and I'm going to get Counter Strike and Starcraft 2.

I could get a 7600 GT or 7900 GS and run everything on high settings, or I could get a 8500 GT or 8600 GT, run everything on low, and have a feature that I won't need for a long time.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 03:24:49 AM »
The 8000 series runs much, much better than the 7000s in about every respect. It's entirely understandable if you're not a huge gamer, but if you'd like to play stuff like Crysis or Shadowrun, then one of those'll be great. DX10 isn't big yet, but it's coming.

buffet of death

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 04:29:19 AM »
Ok I just registered. (buffet of death is my name but matt murder is my menu setup_funname)

I'm getting a 7600GT it's a good cheap card and that's really all I need. If I ever need DX10 I'll upgrade but right now it's just too expensive.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 09:49:20 AM »
I'm getting a 7600GT it's a good cheap card and that's really all I need. If I ever need DX10 I'll upgrade but right now it's just too expensive.

For the exact same price as the 7600GT, get the 8600GT, it's the same card but with DX10 support.

Here's both cards, same site, same brands:

8600GT - $129 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150229

7600GT  - $119 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150185