Author Topic: Computer Boot Problem.  (Read 4257 times)

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Computer Boot Problem.
« on: July 11, 2010, 03:15:14 AM »
Alright, so this morning my Dad tried to turn on the computer but he couldn't, so he called me in.

The problem is that after turning on the computer, choosing 'Start windows Normally' or whatever, the computer just reboots. Happens with safe mode too.

The error I think is '0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x896AEEF0, 0xC0000102, ox0000000)

That lead me to various websites suggesting that I use my XP boot cd. The only problem with that is that the computer came with windows XP pre-installed and we were never given a disk.

I also found http://www.geekswhoknow.com/articles/stop-0x00000024-0x0000024-0x24-ntfs-file-sys-error-code.htm which gave a suggestion of using a floppy disk. None of our computers run a floppy disk drive, so I couldn't do that.

Any Ideas what I can do? Would I be able to borrow a XP boot disk off a friend? Could I torrent it?

Kyuuchi

• Autococker
Re: Computer Boot Problem.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 04:38:17 AM »
I had the exact same issue with my computer... and I have bad news for you.

The only way I could fix my computer was to get the Windows XP/Vista/whatever you have CD and put it into the CD Drive. Restart your computer, and it'll say "Boot from disc" or something similar. This means that your computer is going back to factory conditions, which means you lose all of your saved data such as pictures or files...

This was all we could do. We even asked a professional and he advised us to do the same..

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 04:56:40 AM »
I had the exact same issue with my computer... and I have bad news for you.

The only way I could fix my computer was to get the Windows XP/Vista/whatever you have CD and put it into the CD Drive. Restart your computer, and it'll say "Boot from disc" or something similar. This means that your computer is going back to factory conditions, which means you lose all of your saved data such as pictures or files...

This was all we could do. We even asked a professional and he advised us to do the same..

I've been reading some articles about it and it seems as though I can use the recovery console (with the xp boot disc) to get access to the Recovery cmd prompt (something like that). From there, I can use a command , Chkdsk /r which 'locates bad sectors and recovers readable information' to *MAYBE* fix the problem.

My friend has also said 'u could try connecting it up to your computer, boot off your hard drive, then transfer the files, then format his hard drive, then re'install windows?'
^No idea if either of these methods will work, but I'd rather not give up on it without trying these.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 05:25:36 AM »
If you want to retrieve the data, download something like Ubuntu that has a 'live' session, so the operating system runs off the disc.  Try using it to access the harddrive and get everything you need off, incase you can't get it fixed.  I'm not sure whats damaged, the partition or the operating system, as the error shows things about ntfs.

If I run into any issues with Windows, the best thing to have as a backup is the boot disc, but since you don't have it, then I have no idea.  I researched a little and the chkdsk thingy was recommended by many people and in some cases fixed the issue.  As for torrenting the disc, I don't know if XP relys on the same disc it was installed from.  If you want to, give it a shot, unless someone else knows another way, or knows it won't work.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 08:40:57 AM »
^ I would suggest Ubuntu like Cameron did, or just plug the HD into another computer as a second drive and see what you can get off of it.  I'm pretty sure any XP cd would help, I've had an age old torrented cd that I've used to help friends computers, not sure if it helps in your case, but if anything you can use it to reformat and reinstall.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 04:13:48 PM »
Chkdsk /r works magic.. Definitely try it before reformatting.
You'll need the windows cd and know the password to window's Administrator account in order to get to the recovery console though.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 12:09:24 AM »
My friend is bringing me a windows xp sp1 disk to school to try that, but Jusu, would you be able to PM me the torrent? or Upload it somewhere? It'd just help a lot :)

If that doesn't work, I'll try using the hd as a 2nd hd and try getting the un-corrupted files off it. If THAT doesn't work, I'lll give ubuntu a shot.

Thanks everyone for the help and XB, we never had accounts or anything on our computer, so it just boots up into ADMIN. (If I still need the password, I'll search through every password Mum logged for the computer). It's also good to know the command has a chance of working.

PS.XB, do you know whether or not I'll need MY windows cd? Or would I be able to access the recovery console through another windows CD?

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 12:47:11 AM »
Any service pack disc would work, I'm just not sure if a different version of windows (ie home or pro) would work.

XP Pro: http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/22538252/windows+xp?tab=summary

Although, before any of that, I think your stonewalled anyway.  If thats the only account that automatically gets logged into, then theres a chance that the Administrator account is disabled (at least to my knowledge), so I'm not sure what help a disc would do in that case.  And since it was preinstalled, I doubt you would've been given an administrator password anyway.

Hold on...

How to log on to Windows Server 2003 by using the Recovery Console
You can use the recovery console to access the computer even if the local Administrator account is disabled. Disabling the local Administrator account does not prevent you from logging on to the recovery console as Administrator.

From Microsoft's site, guess you just need to know the password.  I'm not sure if Windows allows it on the Admin account, but I wouldn't be surprised if the password was blank.  If its not, then I'm not sure what else you could do.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 03:38:42 AM »
Any service pack disc would work, I'm just not sure if a different version of windows (ie home or pro) would work.

XP Pro: http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/22538252/windows+xp?tab=summary

Although, before any of that, I think your stonewalled anyway.  If thats the only account that automatically gets logged into, then theres a chance that the Administrator account is disabled (at least to my knowledge), so I'm not sure what help a disc would do in that case.  And since it was preinstalled, I doubt you would've been given an administrator password anyway.

Hold on...

From Microsoft's site, guess you just need to know the password.  I'm not sure if Windows allows it on the Admin account, but I wouldn't be surprised if the password was blank.  If its not, then I'm not sure what else you could do.

Code: [Select]
ARE YOU PEOPLE INSANE!? Okay... This disk image had no problems installing, it wasn't already activated as I had to enter an activation key, which I found on an earlier comment.

HOWEVER!...

This Version is absolutely ridden with Virus' and Trojans. Seriously, how can you say it's working fine... It's clearly NOT!

Within 20seconds of me installing Bitdefender Total Security 2009 it flagged up about 8 problems.

Then Bitdefender stopped working, why? Because the so called Virus deleted the program from the program directory.

The user data files are ridden with virus' The Hosts process file is ridden with virus' There is no way you can connect to microsoft websites to download new updates/ service packs to overwrite the files.

Then as soon as you connect to the internet immediatly it starts downloading new malware.

I used 'Trojan Remover' to see if I could remove them. It yet again flagged up more and more virus' and Trojans, one of which was a 'Win32 VIRUT'

This is a well renowned virus for it's destructive power, I couldn't remove IT.

Then after 2/3 attempts at removing them and restarting my PC, the system does NOT get passed the Logon screen, it just restarts again.

Conclusion: THIS VERSION OF XP IS NOT OKAY! DON'T EVEN BOTHER DOWNLOADING, GET ANOTHER VERSION I FOUND A DIFFERENT ONE ON ISOHUNT, WHICH WORKS PERFECT!

Please take this comment into some serious consideration and don't download, unless your insane. Thanks, Emphacy

Not sure whether to download it now :P

But yeah, even if there is a password, I couldn't see it being somethign rediculous or anything. Also, we have probably got an admin password, just gotta go through our 'computer folder'.

Edit: And It's running Windows XP Home edition :P

Henrod

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 06:27:41 PM »
Use an xp disk. If you dont have one you can download xp and use an iso burner to make it bootable. then hold f8 and go into the repair console. Run chkdsk, fixboot, and fixmbr.

XP Download
http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Windows-XP-Home-Edition/3000-18513_4-20432.html
Free ISO Burner
http://download.cnet.com/Active-ISO-Burner/3000-2646_4-10602452.html?tag=mncol

Also I LOVE RICK AND I DONT CARE WHO KNOWS IT.

vLaD

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 09:46:36 PM »
if its xp. boot from xp cd. and go to the repair option. fixboot, and writembr.

those 2 commands usually fix the boot cycle in xp.

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 06:43:23 PM »
You should probably buy a new hard drive while you're at it.  Something similar to this happened to my computer last year.  After I fixed it the problems just came back and data started being corrupted or lost. Eventually I couldn't even use the hard drive.  New hard drive was the solution.  Save yourself the time of losing everything again and replace it.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 01:36:24 AM »
Use an xp disk. If you dont have one you can download xp and use an iso burner to make it bootable. then hold f8 and go into the repair console. Run chkdsk, fixboot, and fixmbr.

XP Download
http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Windows-XP-Home-Edition/3000-18513_4-20432.html
Free ISO Burner
http://download.cnet.com/Active-ISO-Burner/3000-2646_4-10602452.html?tag=mncol

Also I LOVE RICK AND I DONT CARE WHO KNOWS IT.

Thanks Henrod :D

Turns out the disk my friend has is infact Home Edition so I'm fine with that and Cameron hooked me up with IMGburn.

Is that what the actual commands are? Or are they missing the '/*' (*=a letter.)

@Vlad, are you sure about the 'writembr' command? I couldn't really find anything about it..

@Br, I'll probably end up getting another hd for it, seeing as the current one is only 40gb :p I'd like to try to fix it though. It'll give me more knowledge on how to fix this sort of issue in the future.

Br55HiT

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 01:38:47 AM »
It is nice to know how to fix, but the odds are the problems will come back.  Your hard drive is probably dying and a new one would just save you the hassle of having it crash again.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 01:55:00 AM »
God, 40GB sounds like IDE.  Thats old.  Get a new one :).  Although I ran into problems with 4096 byte sectors when I got a new one...

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 04:07:27 AM »
Appears to be working now :)

Put the chkdsk /r command in the Recover cmd thing, didn't work. Did it again, also used the fixboot C: command and now it appears to be working like normal.

@Cameron, I tried to use ubuntu but it had some weird error, so I asked Dad and my bro if they had anything on there that was the only copy of it and they said no. So I just did the recovery console thing and ta da :)