Author Topic: Using personal website as server?  (Read 2475 times)

vague312

• VM-68
Using personal website as server?
« on: July 11, 2007, 06:39:10 PM »
Sup guys had a quick question

Could i use a website as DP server?

I have 3 personal sites with more than enough bandwith.
I also have access to the server scripts if need be.

Got this when i did a search

Quote from: Apocalypse
Well eiii maybe if it was his sight or someone he knows maybe then he could host of the site but otherwise Garret I agree with eiii.

thanks guys
---Joe
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 07:11:24 PM by vague312 »

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Using personal website as server?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 07:31:27 PM »
It sort of depends what kind of access you have to the sites. If it's just HTTP/FTP uploading and such, then no. I don't know all that much about how the off-site server hosting thing works, so that's all I can really tell you. :)

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 07:41:31 PM »
thanks for the reply man.

i know i can pretty much do anything i want with my host. I can install new server scripts, edit domain names, screw the entire thing up by deleting things i shouldnt (dont ask lol). etc.

anybody
How does a regular server work? Basic breakdown

at the very least im learning something new.
thanks guys

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 07:53:54 PM »
You'll have to tell your host to download DP and run it along with your web server.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 07:59:59 PM »
anybody
How does a regular server work? Basic breakdown

at the very least im learning something new.
thanks guys

Before you set up a server on a remote host, set one up on your computer. Here are some links that will help you out:

http://digitalpaint.planetquake.gamespy.com/testwiki1/pb2wiki.php?word=Server+Admin+Area
http://digitalpaint.planetquake.gamespy.com/testwiki1/pb2wiki.php?word=Commands+and+Settings
http://digitalpaint.planetquake.gamespy.com/docs/server_guide_win32.html

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 08:12:14 PM »
unfortunately he doesn't play

thanks for the links Zorchenhimer. I bookmarked the links and i have set up a local server on my cpu but all i have is a dsl connection.

what do i have to do for the remote host?
thanks man
---Joe

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 08:45:45 PM »
You need to have shell access (ie: be able to type commands at the server console) or be able to VNC into it.

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 10:21:45 PM »
shell acess?
 is that allowing outside users/programs to write to the server.cfg file i have uploaded on my page?
it has the different numbers like "644" "444" "777" etc. next to the file in my manager

I uploaded my server.cfg file to my server and i set the numbers different and edited the code im my server desktop shortcut to the url i have the file stored.
It seems like its working. I can see the game running without running dp.
Does that mean its working?

thanks Jitspoe
---Joe

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 10:29:51 PM »
Err... I don't really get what you're saying, but you can't start a server like that. Like jits said, you need to be able to (either physically or remotely) access the server's console. Then, from there, you can start up the DP server.

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 10:40:32 PM »
eh ill read up on the shell access tomorrow.
Im stll learning some of the web terms. so we kinda have a language barrier happening here.

the server shortcut is running by itself without me having to open the actual digital paint program. thats what im trying to say

Ill tinker some more and if it works ill post up
sleep time
---Joe

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 10:51:50 PM »
It seems to me that doing what I think you're doing would download pball.exe instead of run it, since it is a webserver.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 09:23:39 AM »
Shell access is access to the "command prompt" of your server where you can enter commands in a console. I can't understand what you've achieved already so I'll just start from the beginning.

First off, get PuTTY (Windows). Get the password to root for your server. Open PuTTY, connect to your server, accept the SSH host fingerprint, and login.

Once you're in, create a new user named pball with home directory /home/pball. How to do it depends on your flavor of Linux or BSD so you'll have to look that up. Do this for security reasons. Make it so you cannot login to that user.

Change to that user:
su pball

Navigate to that user's home directory:
cd /home/pball

Download Paintball2:
wget "http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/paintball2/paintball2_build019_linux_full.tar.gz"

Extract:
tar xvf paintball2_build019_linux_full.tar.gz

Navigate to the Paintball directory:
cd paintball2

Make Paintball executable.
chmod 0755 ./paintball2

Edit the files in pball/configs. You may want to get a SFTP client such as WinSCP to browse the files of the server.

Go back to the paintball directory:
cd /home/pball/paintball2

Run Paintball (note, change server.cfg with your server configuration file):
./paintball2 +set dedicated 1 +set public 1 +exec server.cfg +map midnight

If everything works, type quit to quit the server or enter CTRL-C.

Run Paintball as a background task that will survive when you disconnect from SSH (note, change server.cfg with your server configuration file):
nohup ./paintball2 +set dedicated 1 +set public 1 +exec server.cfg +map midnight &

You may not want to do this, and instead set up Paintball as a service that runs when the server boots. You'll have to figure this out on your own. ;)