Author Topic: Lag spike + Frame rate exceeded  (Read 1062 times)

BruceOneR

Lag spike + Frame rate exceeded
« on: July 16, 2007, 06:58:15 PM »

Right before I get this message my ping will jump from 100<
All the way up to and exceeding 700. Then I get this message...and just now, for the first time, I got kicked off a server.

When I first got this, I thought it might have something to do with all my graphical setting set to minimal. Id rather have speed...looks dont matter much to me (I play CS 1.6).

So, I turned up everything to the max and I still get this darn message...Also the lag spikes up for maybe nine seconds and it does it almost every four or five minutes... 

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Lag spike + Frame rate exceeded
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 07:00:53 PM »
Just set cl_maxfps to that number. I'm not sure why they'd limit the frame/cmdrate, other than tiny bandwidth concerns.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Lag spike + Frame rate exceeded
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 03:01:53 PM »
I'm familiar with this problem as it has happened to me a few times.  You see, the Internet is a series of tubes.  It's not a big truck.  Sometimes those tubes get clogged up.  Pressure builds, and then a huge burst of data travels down them.  Instead of sending a steady rate of 80 or so packets a second, you send no data for a second or two, then something like 160 packets all at once.  Try setting your cl_cmdrate to something lower, like 40.  It won't make the lag spikes go away, but it should stop you from getting kicked.

This problem is really annoying, but it's not caused by the game.  Either your router, cable modem, or ISP is causing the issue.  In my case, I switched routers and it didn't fix it, so I might try getting a different cable modem.  I have a feeling Crime Warner is to blame here, though, and there might not be anything I can do about it.