Author Topic: New map format-ish  (Read 1934 times)

Eiii

• Autococker
New map format-ish
« on: July 17, 2005, 06:16:16 PM »
I think it's best to get what everyone wants in the new map format down somewhere, so jits can get new ideas/ to our every whim.

Personally, one of the things I would like to see is for some level of 'coding' that the mapper can do. Like "If the (team) flag is grabbed", "A new path opens up". "If (team color) player is standing at (trigger), "A door opens".

Something like the starcraft trigger editor might work, but I was hoping for something more powerful. Code or web?

EDIT:

Oops, forgot about this.
When I made the tile wood texture with the Wood Generator or whatever, I used the colored planks. When repeated, this made it very obviously repeated (or whatever). So, would it be possible to have a "random" secondary texture that would tint/be opaque over the previous texture?
For example, there could be noncolored tiles. Then a secondary texture that would have random colors between two defined colors over the other, with about 85% transparency. I don't know how the different random areas would be defined, but it's just a thought.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 06:49:40 PM by eiii »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: New map format-ish
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 07:08:00 PM »
The first request is all about entities -- there's a lot of stuff you can do with ents already.  Hell, stuff I didn't even know was possible, like the shazam time trial map fourthx made.

The second can already be done with rscripts, but keep in mind you will be slowing things down a fair amount because you are essentially drawing things twice (once to draw the texture, once to draw the secondary texture).

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: New map format-ish
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 07:09:47 PM »
Right, but the secondary texture is just a color.

Even though there is a lot of stuff you can do, it's really doesn't take enough varibles in. Only if a player is there, or whatever.