Author Topic: New Map Release System?  (Read 1496 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
New Map Release System?
« on: August 07, 2007, 04:53:26 PM »
We really should look into a new system in which maps are not only released but also how they are maintained.

I'm proposing we setup a system that at the author's choice, when the final map is released it is made open-source, under the GPL, with permission to be included in the official build with any modifications by Digital Paint.

This would grant Jitspoe the authority to fix bugs and or change features in maps that have already been released.  Most mods already have 'mappers' who submit maps with sources to the project so that they can be edited if the mappers leave, I think it's responsible to include sources and permissions, and at the very least submit them to Jitspoe alone.

I understand the talk of open-sourcing maps is old, but I think as we see more maps in need of a newer versions ("maintenance") i.e. a fixed copy of Mirrorr, we should move closer to a more unified system.

-y00tz

magalhaes

• Autococker
Re: New Map Release System?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 05:15:19 PM »
Ugh when i saw the topic i thought it was something to prevent "mappers" to release terrible maps...I would vote for that.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 05:39:10 PM »
+1 again for y00tz

I totally agree.  This might also have the added benefit that there could be a service that server owners could set up that would automagically dl the maps from the map database as well.  And when an update was etected, the servers would automagically get the new upgrade.

I'm all for it.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 02:23:19 AM »
Yup. But not only to fix bugs. To make old and good maps to look new too :). But I guess thats not possible because the makers of those maps are probably far far away from dp.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 08:13:53 AM »
I totally agree.  This might also have the added benefit that there could be a service that server owners could set up that would automagically dl the maps from the map database as well.  And when an update was etected, the servers would automagically get the new upgrade.

Add having mapinfo files being stored and downloadable from that same site or having that server host the mapinfo files and then the server uses that mapinfo file. Either way it, with/without the mapinfo files it sounds good.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 09:36:53 AM »
Sounds good to me to the Feature Vote Thread!