Author Topic: My new map, yet to be named,... Very beta stage  (Read 4267 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: My new map, yet to be named,... Very beta stage
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 06:08:40 PM »
Scaling the WHOLE map down will take for ever.  Is there and quicker ways?

Actually, scaling the WHOLE map down would be easy.  Just select everything and use the scale option in BSP.  Of course, you'd have to fix all the textures still.  To be honest, you should probably ditch this and maybe make another couple test maps to get a feel for the tools before you start on one you plan on releasing.  Master clipping planes before you do anything else, and the rest should be a lot easier.  I really need to write a clipping plane tutorial.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 08:33:18 PM »
Ok here is the redo.  I redid the whole map after messing around with bsp at school.  I think it is better constructed and should play very nicely by beta two.  I did scrap the old map but used the same concept of the old map.
Heres what is know I gotta do:
Ladders
Playerspawns
Light the tunnels
Clutter it up a bit more

The reason the lighting is kinda bad is because I needed to finish up to make my deadline and I also wanted to keep less lights in case I needed to move the ceiling and what not.  I kinda like the darkness of the map.  Reminds me off 'Airtime' and 'Night factor.'  It needs just a little more light in my opinion but let me know. 

Beta 2 not be out for a while so I have a lot of time to fix things and tinker around with it.

PS Jits, the old map was my second and I thought I could fix it up and make it look presentable but i thought wrong... ;)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 01:55:24 PM »
Ok, you still need to work on scale.  The ceiling is like half a mile high.  y00tz made a handy little conversion app where you can convert real measurements into in-game units (I don't remember which thread it was in).  1 foot is about 9.3 units.  Also, you have no lighting.  The whole map is fullbright.

There's a tutorial on ladders in this forum.

Oh, and you can apply different textures to different faces of a brush.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 03:11:50 PM »
The lights aren't working then.  I rushed to get the beta out.  The next beta will be a lot better looking.  And, I will lower the ceiling now that is left it easier.  Thanks jits and Ill take my time so I can even impress you.  ;)  Thanks for the criticism thou, its how I learn.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 04:18:42 PM »
By the way, i dont think you can call your map Crisscross because there is already a map called "]Kriss[ ]Kross[" I would name it something else. After you develope a little more it may come to you.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 06:40:40 PM »
Ook, thanks for the information.  And your right, this name to me, so a new one should too.