Author Topic: DP Clan website  (Read 2366 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
DP Clan website
« on: August 04, 2007, 09:26:34 PM »
If things go well, this Fall I'll finish developing a website based around Paintball 2, setup for clans.

I've been tinkering with two ideas, tell me which you'd prefer and why....

The first idea is a "social networking" of sorts idea.
You would register an account for your alias. A user account. From there you could set up a clan profile for an existing clan (by registering it on the site), or you could apply to join clans, browse clans, etc.  Those who set up a profile for their clan on the site could invite other users via the site, communicate, post in message boards, join leagues, setup matches, post results, view rankings, view clan activity, etc.

Imagine something like MySpace or Facebook, but instead of your profile, you'll have a profile for your Paintball II alias.

The site would allow clans to add a little customization to their pages (think clan colors :D), as well as have private discussion within clan only pages, and post one anothers profile and stuff for more public displays :D

The second idea was to make the site into a typical league manager... we'd setup matches in advance, run them at organized times, etc.

With either options, I've bought enough hosting to add a map section of the site, dedicated to showing off maps, etc.  And both ideas would geared about 75% to clans. The first idea is 25/75 for users/clan, the second is 25/75 for league/clans.

Thought?

-y00tz

edit
I'll explain the map idea while I'm here, let's see  what you think...

Mappers could register accounts, setup profiles for maps (this will help people not duplicate map names), add screenies, add betas, etc.  Imagine all things dedicated to that map, on a single page... this could be linked from the forums.  Thoughts?

^$hooter^

• Stingray
Re: DP Clan website
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 10:01:01 PM »
You should set up a site like TWL for this game. Its www.teamwarfare.com , Its sortve like both of your ideas, together. You have a clan page for your clan, then you also have ladders and leagues. It's pretty popular with the big name games. Be kool to have something like that for this game that was actually official instead of clans putting 999999999-0 as their records and just setting up "matches thru irc and in game. The funny thing is in every game that I came from we never called those matches, just scrims. Then again we had team warfare to rely on for matches.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 01:33:42 AM »
Idea is great and stuff, but cant you have it in dplogin.com ?

plsplsplsplspls

SmackWaters

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 02:47:58 AM »
-website stuff-

go for it y00tz! :)

Maybe i'll join a clan...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 06:32:59 PM »
I like the idea of having some way to set up a basic clan website, but things like registering clans, adding members, and whatnot are already available on dplogin.com, so it wouldn't really make sense to have duplicate efforts.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 09:01:19 PM »
y00tz, it sounds like you are describing the Global Login System... on steroids.

That sounds Awesome! :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 09:23:00 PM by Zorchenhimer »

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 11:01:59 PM »
y00tz, it sounds like you are describing the Global Login System... on steroids.

That sounds Awesome! :D

I guess so, how unfortunate! :( I don't want to rip off the GLS, and at the same time I don't want redundancy in any form... if only Jitspoe had some sort of SDK for the GLS... some sort of API that let us use GLS features (i.e. read and view from the database) but add on to them.. :P

^$hooter^

• Stingray
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 08:24:58 AM »
You should make a ladder site :) with  a rankiing system. This game has alot of maps so we could get alot of ladder types going, such as a ladder for different map types and different game modes.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 11:03:09 AM »
I like the idea once you get it done give me a link I'll give it out in the motd of dppug and maybe the site.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 04:48:13 PM »
I could probably make some way you could validate accounts through dplogin.com, but users would have to feel confident that you aren't sniffing passwords along the way.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 04:56:54 PM »
Alright, I really should re-consider how I'm developing this (I'm an ASP.Net developer), I think I'll shift gears and do stuff in PHP and MySQL that way when we get a product we like, I can transfer power of the site and domain to Digital Paint, so that it can be branded alongside the official site, and will function properly.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 08:52:08 AM »
I could help you out if you want I'm not an expert like yourself but I could help plan what's going to be on it.

Legend

• PGP
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 01:48:27 PM »
Both ideas seem like really good stuff, i like the idea of a league manager so it would have all the "real" records as well as the rankings for each clan.