Author Topic: Where can I find a BSP tutorial?  (Read 1567 times)

spacepirate

• PGP
Where can I find a BSP tutorial?
« on: June 26, 2005, 03:33:44 PM »
Hey guys,
I've looked over jitspoe's tutorial on mapmaking, and it doesn't exactly tell you HOW to make the maps.  I've downloaded BSP and have been messing with it for a few hours, but it confuses me a bit.  I'm not a computer imbecile, and I've messed around with a 3D modeler a little, but I must be missing something.  After searching the web, I've found that pretty much every site with BSP tutorials has been taken down, mainly due to the fact that BSP is an 8+ year old program.  Can anyone direct me to/type out a tutorial for BSP?  I'd love to start making some maps.

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Where can I find a BSP tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 06:56:15 PM »
I probably will eventually, if no one else does it first. I'm not a great mapper. I'm not even a good mapper. But whatever.

www.gamedesign.net will take you to RUST, a site that still has a large quake2 mapping section open.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 12:19:21 PM »
I've been meaning to make some real tutorials, but I haven't really had time.  That and I'm not sure if BSP maps will even be applicable anymore with the new level format.

It's kind of funny -- the older bsp sites are still around, but not the newer ones.  I think this is the very original site here:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/bernier/

Then there's the second one:
http://www.planetquake.com/bsp/bsp_links.html

But bsphq.com with all the good, "recent" tutorials is gone. :(

You might get lucky googling around for "bsp" and "yahn" or "deadmeat"

spacepirate

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 01:29:18 PM »
eiii, I checked out gamedesign.net and they have great tutorials but not actual BSP tutorials, which I am looking for.

jitspoe,  I looked at those sites, and they just seem like runarounds with broken links.  I googled up bsp and deadmeat but didn't find much.

Thanks for whatever you can do.  Can't wait for a new format! :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 01:34:29 PM »
What are you wanting to learn how to do?  Just generic stuff, like how to make a room?

spacepirate

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 01:38:42 PM »
Yeah, just how to use the editor.  Like what buttons to push, etc.