Author Topic: Do you think....  (Read 1734 times)

S8NSSON

• Autococker
Do you think....
« on: August 14, 2007, 11:50:23 AM »
Do you think Iron Gator would make a nice reverse siege map? Start at the back of the ship, just aft of the engine room. Grab the flag right off and have to make it to the flight deck and into an awaiting blackhawk for the win.

Just being bored I kind of started making the carrier. I have a good bit of the structural lower level done. Not totally identical to Iron Gator, but close, with the engine room into some small passages into the mess hall, etc... The hanger deck and flight deck are made, but nothing detailed.

Might be interesting.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
Re: Do you think....
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 12:16:04 PM »
Sure, why not.

Would not be common map so go for it. I like the idea.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 03:52:27 PM »
Iron Gator would probably work a lot better in a Quake-based engine than it does in BF2.  That map runs so poorly on the BF2 engine that it's unplayable even on higher-end computers.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 04:33:51 PM »
Some of the best TWL 5v5 matches we've had have been on Iron Gator, where the fighting is completely inside the ship.
My thoughts was to have a siege completely inside the ship, though going up to the top deck would be included.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 02:57:35 PM »
So I want to get an opinion from anyone that cares.

BSP .bsp file of what i've done so far. Very very roughly done.
http://www.logictechnologies.com/keith/carrier_siege/carrier_siege_a1.zip

What i'd like to know is that if you think a reverse siege would work?
A reverse siege would be where the attacking team spawns at the flag (probably in the engine room or aft water entrance) and has to carry the flag to the base (an awaiting blackhawk up on the flight deck). The defending team would get spawned spread out throughout the ship.

The way it looks now there would be around 4 or more ways to traverse from level to level. Although these different ways wouldn't be too far apart from each other. I'm thinking the attacking team must make it to the aircraft elevator, take it up to the flight deck, and enter the blackhawk in order to win. Maybe one or two other ways to make it to the flight deck that take a long time. Like climbing a couple ladders, but bringing you out on the deck way at the other end making you run the entire length of the deck.

Possibly place some proximity sensors at all level transition points in order to sound a different alarm when an enemy moves between levels...i don't know.

It's all preliminary at this point. Really just having some fun goofing around.

What do you think peoples?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 04:41:21 PM »
Reverse siege sounds like it would work in this case.  I haven't had a chance to look at the map file (you posted a .map, not a .bsp, by the way).  To really pull this off well, you'd need a bunch of custom textures and models.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 06:01:25 PM »
It sounds good to me once you post the .bsp I'll check it out.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 06:46:41 PM »
I didn't post a BSP cause there isn't one, lol.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 11:30:56 AM »
I tried to compile a fast vis rad so that you had a .bsp to distribute, so I took the files to our 3 gb, dual-core Opteron... I came back 35 minutes later, and it still wasn't done, but it was very close. I came back 5 minutes later and I had  "*****ERROR***** memory allocation error" and an error from windows saying I was out of system resources. Wow. :(

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 11:48:36 AM »
I tried to compile a fast vis rad so that you had a .bsp to distribute, so I took the files to our 3 gb, dual-core Opteron... I came back 35 minutes later, and it still wasn't done, but it was very close. I came back 5 minutes later and I had  "*****ERROR***** memory allocation error" and an error from windows saying I was out of system resources. Wow. :(

Well, there are no lights, so the rad would be pointless. :-\

S8N, this map looks awesome. Looking forward to a B1.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 12:00:23 PM »
And that would be why :P  Thanks. I never checked any of that, I tried to light first.

This map will most likely suffer from the same problems my Oh Ship! siege map suffers from... ridiculously high r_speeds on the surface of the ship because of the water and visibility of practically everything.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 12:08:39 PM »
Anyone think a Titan from BF2142 would work for this type of thing? In BF2142, you rush in, blow some stuff up, open a couple doors, blow some more stuff up then run out... We could have the flag as the core and you have to shoot a few buttons to open the doors to it. But this map is looking hella nifty.

Mike </3 MSN.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 12:58:07 PM »
I actually was in the middle of a compile when I posted the .map, although the posted .map file has much more stuff than the one I compiled.
I got it to compile fine, just had no lights so navigating the ship was, um, impossible.
At its current state I get around 1000 r_speeds with vast viz or whatever it is.

Like Jitspoe said, it will take a butt load of custom textures to make right.
I'm currently doing crazy interviews looking for a new job (12 years here is good enough).
If I do find a new job soon my map making days may be all but over, as I do most of my work here at work, and my home BSP suffers from that screen goes blue bug when I move around.

I think, if I make sure the internals are as isolated as I can get them from the outside water area, the r_speeds won't be so bad.
There is almost no need to go outside, besides getting to the BlackHawk...which, btw, I though about, and may make it hovering above the deck with a rope ladder hanging down. We'll see.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 06:23:16 PM »
Sounds great hope you get it good enough to release a b1