Author Topic: Feature request: Ability to play custom sound in-game  (Read 2558 times)

rafalluz

• VM-68
Feature request: Ability to play custom sound in-game
« on: January 02, 2009, 07:38:11 PM »
I would see it that way:

We add custom music (wav or ogg when implemented) to specific folder, it is detected on startup and a certain file file is played in-game as a background music (like, say, Crimsonland does) and Now playing (filename) appears in the console. There could be also options for playing tracks random or in specific order (alphabetic in folder presumably). Maybe even a playlist like in Tony Hawk's series, where you could temporarily disable a certain track. IIRC, ogg does have file info similar to idv3 tags in mp3 to extract.

I'm not sure about interference with existing music zones in certain maps, but I think music could be temporarily muted and paused, plus these are few and far between I think

I agree that there are more important things to implement (better in-game server browser for one), but this would be nice to see imo.

Regards.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 04:55:52 PM by rafalluz »

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Feature request: Ability to play custom sound in-game
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 06:34:42 AM »
Well, at the moment (in the next build) the OGG system detects all the files in pball/music and randomly selects one to play. Playlists are also possible with this system. However, it doesn't currently use any type of tagging system, but the songs are in a list and can be selected by number or filename.

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 06:42:20 AM »
So let's wait for b24. Thanks for clarification.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 02:15:50 PM »
You mean build 25.  :P

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 11:46:50 PM »
Raf: there's currently a /play command that will allow you to play specified .wav files, but it sounds like you're requesting more of a background music feature, so I'm going to put it in the feature vote as that.  I was thinking it would be nice to have a little music track that played in the menu, but personally I don't like having music playing in multiplayer games (though I suppose it could be an option players could enable).

Edit: Looks like that vote KnacK linked is more what your title implies, so I'm just going to leave it at that.  Plus we'll see if the stuff ViciouZ worked on covers it.

rafalluz

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 12:45:50 PM »
Well, personally I've seen that vote and I wasn't quite sure what OP meant in his thread (plus he meant mp3s specifically I guess). What ViciouZ wrote, pretty much describes what I had in mind.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 05:06:07 PM by rafalluz »

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 02:16:59 PM »
Good idea, but really not important. I mean, whenever i play i need the headphones on so that i can tell where people are coming from!!!