Author Topic: Modding Paintball2 for offline use?  (Read 1853 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
Modding Paintball2 for offline use?
« on: August 07, 2007, 12:04:15 PM »
I'm interested in making a highly customized version of Paintball2 used for development, is there a portion of code I can strip out that will make the client NEVER make contact with any servers?

Cobo

• Autococker
Re: Modding Paintball2 for offline use?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 01:50:59 PM »
Remove the connect command, I guess.

Do a search for "connect" with the "

atomic1fire

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 04:18:44 PM »
or just click cancel then do the following
start new game
~ addbot
   addbot
and continue with addbot as many times as you need

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 04:27:19 PM »
Amazing replies so far...

Just make sure you don't connect to any 'sv public 1' servers and take your Global Login profile out.

It might be a good idea to set up a firewall rule to block the traffic.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 07:21:22 PM »
Don't worry yourself too much.  I check the cheat reports to make sure people are actually playing online with other players and not on a local server.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 11:40:13 PM »
Umm......i worry. That should not be checked after the fact. Hate to call you out on this, but why not make it live?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 11:44:26 PM »
Umm......i worry. That should not be checked after the fact. Hate to call you out on this, but why not make it live?

Live would be the worst thing that could ever happen.  When Joe_Nub gets his hands on a hack, he changes his name to something simple... LOL, WTF, ROFL, P***S, etc.

Check cheat reports for anyone, they always use a 'test' name.  They wait a bit, they didn't get banned, so they think they're in the safe.

2-3 days later (maximum) Jitspoe busts them.  That hack, which they spread to their friends is obviously detectable and now a group of cheaters has just gotten caught.

If it were live.  A player would change their name to something simple, go to their local library, test which hacks don't get them immediately banned/kicked.  Now they know they've got an undetectable hack.  The hack is spread, etc.  One day down the road, Jitspoe catches it, someone finds out instantly, and for the most part everyone disables it before they get caught now that they know it's detectable.

The same applies for any texture, model, etc.

The system wouldn't work live.

-y00tz