Author Topic: Considering making "build" mean it.  (Read 1516 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Considering making "build" mean it.
« on: March 06, 2007, 03:29:21 AM »
Expectations have kind of been built up that "Build ABC will contain X, Y, and Z", especially if it's been in development for a while.  I felt kind of compelled to complete the login system, data validation, and other things that were expected for build 17 before making an actual release, but in the meantime, several people were stuck playing without native resolution support or with "swapbuffers failed" messages spamming the screen because of crappy drivers.  I really should have released new builds as soon as these issues/features were added, though releases are a pain in the butt and generally take an entire weekend -- sometimes longer -- to put together.

So... build 17 might be what you got, and build 18 the fixes for known issues with that.  It might not even be a "public" release until build 19 or 20.  Possibly even higher.

I think for now I'll fix a couple of the small issues pointed out in build 17 and have that be the build 17 "final", then try using libCURL to see if it fixes the login connection issues for build 18.

Thoughts?

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Considering making "build" mean it.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 05:55:21 AM »
I think that build 17 is more than just a "build", as it steers the game in to a new direction from the backend of things more than the actual front end. 

So, it might be more appropriate to call this "Build 17 RC1", the next release, "Build 17 RC2".

You have made MAJOR changes/additions to this release, the global log in and cheat detection being one of them.

Just my morning rant before coffee.

Sharp

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 06:10:04 AM »
Cheat detection, What more could i ask for?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 03:58:59 PM »
Right, it shouldn't be called "build" it should be something more like "release".

The versioning should be more like: Paintball 2.0 Alpha Release 17 (build 586285234).

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 07:19:50 AM »
Major revive, but remind me again why we don't do this?

-y00tz

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 10:03:22 AM »
Because we're not on subversion or git, yet.

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 09:31:52 PM »
Because we're not on subversion or git, yet.

I'm glad you didn't even mention CVS ;) Most widely used but also the most pain in the ass to use. No renaming/moving without re-commit ftfl..

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 03:00:13 PM »
We recently moved from cvs to svn, life is good :)

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 03:06:59 PM »
I'm glad you didn't even mention CVS ;) Most widely used but also the most pain in the ass to use. No renaming/moving without re-commit ftfl..
Because they are in CVS :-\