Author Topic: Ladders  (Read 891 times)

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
Ladders
« on: September 13, 2007, 10:01:11 AM »
Is there any sites that allow you to make free gaming ladders? I think it would be cool for someone to make a 1v1 ladder or something.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Re: Ladders
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 12:08:56 PM »
We've had a few ladders in the past run out of OGL, etc. but they didn't gather too much interest.  1v1 CTF isn't very balanced, and although I ran a 1v1 ladder in the past, I still don't see it as a feasible platform for competition.  The only thing it really has going is that you don't need to make a team effort to play it, and any single person can play whenever they have time.  I would rather see people play 1v1 in DM provided that we had some smaller, well thought maps, but I don't think that there is any interest in that, and getting jitspoe to add additional gametypes is a bit of a pain for him and those who want it.  Another idea I had would be to use the existing small CTF maps in Elim (no flags) mode, but I don't really think that that would work either. 

Another problem with having an external site host the ladder, is that there is a lot of administration needs to be done.  The PBCup 1v1 ladder was plauged with invalid match reports, fake matches and people taking advantage of the forfeit feature.  This causes a tremendous ammount of tedious work to the Game Admin and it was too much work for myself to do even when I had direct access to the server logs and inner-workings of the ladder.  Even then I had the resources to run a standard rule set, team balanced maps (almost every map that was available for the 1v1 ladder required a custom .ent), and the servers were running on their own config that wasn't compatible with the 4v4 rules. 

I think if you were to go ahead and introduce a 4v4 ladder hosted by one of the many online gaming leagues, you would be crowding up the existing match servers at all hours of the day with these 1v1s when teams are looking at playing 4v4s on the 32 player limit servers. 

If you really want to go ahead with it, I would suggest that you do it properly: get some help from jitspoe (would you *please* put the Global Login IDs in the STDLogs......) so that you can accurately track the matches, have a set of servers dedicated to the 1v1 so you don't clutter up the existing match servers, and increase the maturity of the entire 1v1 community so that they stop reporting false results and forfeiting their opponents after they've already lost.

I think that when I go ahead with the PBCup re-launch we will see a 2v2 ladder take its place.