Author Topic: Recovering Files from Compact Flash Cards?  (Read 933 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Recovering Files from Compact Flash Cards?
« on: September 13, 2007, 12:58:18 PM »
I'm really annoyed right now.  I was copying photos from my camera last night, browsing through them as they copy.  Everything looks good.  The usual dialog pops up at the end and I click finished or whatever, then go delete the files off my camera.  I get back to the computer, and the files are gone.  Poof!  Nada.  Completely gone.  Not moved.  Not in the recycle bin.  Not anywhere.  I even went so far as to run some recovery software that has saved me many times in the past.  Let it scan overnight and checked today.  The files just aren't there, even in deleted form.  It's like the picture copy wizard just said, "Oh, the files are done copying, let me just wipe delete every trace of them from the hard drive."  The only thing left is the directory it created in "My Pictures".

So... now I need a way to recover the files off of the compact flash card, if possible.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Recovering Files from Compact Flash Cards?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 01:49:47 PM »
One thing I have notices with cf cards and even usb drives is that you have to be patient with then - wait til all activity has ceased.

I don't know how old your cf card is but if it is a few years old you might want to replace it as the newer ones are faster.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 01:59:50 PM »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 06:23:01 PM »
I was looking at F-Recovery for CompactFlash, but it was $50.  O&O MediaRecovery is $30, so it might be the better bet.  Bothers me that the previews don't show up, though, but F-Recovery didn't even have previews, so...

Edit: Oh, sweet:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 07:07:03 AM »
Wow, very nice find.   

What kind of camera do you have?  It seems that with all the problems you have, you should ask for a new camera or CF card for your birthday.

-y00tz

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 10:54:23 PM »
Canon digital rebel