Author Topic: A better work, a new map fort n fort  (Read 2427 times)

GisleAune

• PGP
A better work, a new map fort n fort
« on: July 29, 2005, 08:47:38 AM »
are it better than the older maps

Cobo

• Autococker
Re: A better work, a new map fort n fort
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 12:10:13 PM »
... some things looks a lot like 2fort5.
there are a lot of dark places you should place more lights and make the lights that you have more realistic you just made a big brush with a light texture and placed it on the ceiling.
it is better because it has more than 1 path. but you should just use this maps as practice and dont be releasing all of your maps.
another thing if you are going to be releasing maps release them as beta!!!
keep making maps but dont release them all  ;)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 02:49:34 PM »
It's not even vised (looks like it probably leaked).  You simply can't release an unvised map.  Also, it looks like you're running light with -bounce 0.   You've got areas that should have some reflected light, but they're pitch black.  You need to run your maps through the "final compile"  before releasing them.  And make sure they don't have leaks (it will display *** leaked *** in the compile window and skip vis if they do).

Your second path is fairly useless -- it takes so much longer to go that way that it's not really an alternative -- somebody else could grab and cap going the main path before someone else could even get to the other base taking the alternate path.  And even if you do take the alternate path, you still have to go through 2 one-entrance rooms to get to the flag.  There should always be at least 2 entrances to every room.

Try this: spend a full week on one map.  Take the time to carefully design unique structures and quality lighting.  Plan out the gameplay.  For every location, you should think, "Ok, if somebody sits here and sprays, how can I get around him?"  There should always be a path around somebody spraying  at an entrance.  This keeps the game flowing and gives people an opportunity to actually grab/capture the flag.  With pretty much all of the maps you made so far, it'd be impossible to grab the flag if anybody is on defense.

Plan out the map carefully.  Spend a full 7 days constructing it, then release a beta version for play testing.  Once it's been tested, take people's feedback and make the appropriate changes.  Repeat this until you have a quality map -- could take a month or two, but it's worth it if it ends up being a good map, as good maps are few and far between.  I'd rather have 6-12 quality maps come out in a year than hundreds of crappy ones.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 03:47:26 PM »
also when you are bored you can make some drawings of a map and if you start drawing and dont like the idea you can just make another drawing until you have a really good drawing of a map.

i use a notebook to keep my drawings and makes everything easier when i make the map because i have everything planned and i just have to make it on the computer.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 05:45:45 PM »
SCREEN SHOTS? PLEASE?

S C R E E N  S H O T S

GisleAune

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 01:12:52 PM »
how do i make screenshots

IronFist