Author Topic: New Texture: Splat!  (Read 5219 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
New Texture: Splat!
« on: June 09, 2002, 04:34:32 PM »

I'll take some in-game shots once I get it blending correctly.  I'm going to make the splats client side ents, so ppl can select how long they want them to stay on the walls and stuff like that.  It'll cut down on lag a bit too!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: New Texture: Splat!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2002, 07:58:34 PM »

In-game shots!

Captured is acting up, so I don't know if that came through OK...

Razor

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2002, 07:24:04 AM »
They look awsome, this is coming along great!  I can't wait for your release jit.

Now, since the splats are client side that won't affect lag for an hpb would it?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2002, 10:17:43 AM »
They won't affect network lag, that is correct.

I'm still working on the blending of them... It's probably not possible to do what I want without using special opengl extentions for newer cards :(.  The problem with them currently is if I shoot red paint at a blue barrel, it ends up being black.  I also don't have a way of fading them out slowly.

The alternative would be to make the splat image with an alpha channel, but then there would be the issues of the "black splats" like we currently have sometimes.

I'll figure something out. :\

Razor

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2002, 10:37:29 AM »
So the colors actually mix and make some other color?  Does that happen with all colors.  You said a red splat on blue creates black.  What about red on yellow or blue on yellow.  Do they also come out black?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2002, 11:56:39 AM »
Yeah, unfortunately with earth tone colors, everything is shades of red and green mixed (ie, red/brown/green/yellow).  There is very little blue in any of the textures, so blue splats just tend to darken everything.  I wish there was a way to simply blend with the luminosity of the surrounding colors.  Well, I think there might be with some of the extended blendfuncs, but those won't work with older vid cards.