Author Topic: Random maps and mods equating to fun.  (Read 3287 times)

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Re: Random maps and mods equating to fun.
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 07:34:50 AM »
What I was trying to say is that there is really no point to locking down the console because most remaining "unfair advantages" were added as an option to the settings menu in the GUI anyway.  It is possible and not very difficult to create some locks and limits to certain cvars, and enforce them if I were to create such a "pro-mod".  It would work much the same as the FPS cap that jitspoe introduced briefly before detaching the framerate and network code, or the gl_modulate protection (remember when gl_modulate abusers would glow bright yellow?).

This was not something that I thought of originally, since jitspoe has removed the ability to exploit most areas of the game.  My intentions were to enhance certain areas of the gameplay and incorporate some missing competitive features that almost every other game or pro-mod has.  jitspoe has been pushing the fairness side of this game in the last couple years and I believe it has had a really positive impact on the game.  I think that it's just a matter of stepping up to plate and filling in some of the gaps that there are in the match scene.

I think that jitspoe's agenda for the time being is to retain newer players by adding faster download speeds to game content.  From there I believe he will focus on the management of this project by creating a universal feature vote site that integrates with Global Login, forums, wiki (and maybe even subversion? ;)) so that he prioritize and track the progress of new features to the game.  From there he'll get back to work on whatever the public wants to see next.

I've come to realize that I don't mind jitspoe's agenda because he's implementing things that will continue the popularity and success of the PB2 brand.  Instead of sitting around here disagreeing with the short-term direction of this game I would rather start getting my hands dirty and start working on some of the things that many competitive teams and server admins would really enjoy seeing.  jitspoe has incorporated a few snippets of my code in past releases from things I have implemented on my own, so I'm expecting that he'd likely be doing the same in the future.

loial21

• Autococker
Re: Random maps and mods equating to fun.
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 05:21:26 AM »
What I was trying to say is that there is really no point to locking down the console because most remaining "unfair advantages" were added as an option to the settings menu in the GUI anyway.
And you seem to think in this games circumstance, its ok. I get that. I disagree and can point to scope, changing hand scripting...and unknown others. That is not the issue. The issue is the principal of game ethics and why those are hard coded or locked for legitmate competition.

Yes there are gaps in the clan scene that needs to be filled:

Showing respect is a good one, right Jesse?

I've come to realize that I don't mind jitspoe's agenda
Hmmm.....Thats why I invested in EV1. Why didn't CHill or Doid? Now you agree with Jitspoe, can you be exactly sure of the point in which you came to this decision? It is a matter of trust, so I ask politely your responce.

(remember when gl_modulate abusers would glow bright yellow?)
Remember when players and clans used to show respect? That was actually an insulting question. Yours not mine. :)

Instead of sitting around here disagreeing with the short-term direction of this game I would rather start getting my hands dirty and start working on some of the things that many competitive teams and server admins would really enjoy seeing.
Can i hold you to this commitment? By simply pointing at it?  :-\