Author Topic: My newest addition to the paintball gun family  (Read 1820 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
My newest addition to the paintball gun family
« on: October 22, 2007, 04:39:29 PM »
Angel IR3 FLY - thought it looked like a fun project gun:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320162887891&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=011

I've already drilled eye holes in it and I'll probably be using a DM chip of some sort with the lucky un1chip board.

y00tz

• Autococker
Re: My newest addition to the paintball gun family
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 04:42:23 PM »
$108 for a broken gun?  Are they valuable?

studmuffin

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 07:41:17 PM »
Why did you get an old angel? Angels have never been good guns to begin with. You're going to need a low pressure n2 tank for this gun. Also, until you get eyes installed on it, it will be a blender(chopping paint). Put a tadao chip in it, if possible. I don't know much about the lucky boards. All I know is lucky went out of business.

Also, angels are very high maintenance guns. I owned an Angel 1, the new angel from WDP, and it was nice but they're high maintenance like I said.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 08:22:06 PM »
.•:*¨¨*:•. YAY! .•:*¨¨*:•.

Tee-hee.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 04:26:21 PM »
If Angel 1's suck, why are they $1000+ for new ones. As for the "chopping paint" claim, I've seen guys at tourneys shooting some Angel 1's and Diablo paint with the thinnest shells I know of. If that thing chopped paint, it would be a monster with those balls.

Either way, I'd say Bob Long markers are what I would go for. If I had cash. :(

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 06:30:27 PM »
$108 for a broken gun?  Are they valuable?
It retailed for like $1700 when it came out (in 2003, I think).  I figure about $100 for the parts to get it up and running again and I'll have a high end electronic gun for < $300.  Even low-end stuff like the tippmann's used for rentals can run over $100, so I'd say it was a pretty good deal.  Of course, after I got it, I realized I could probabl get a fully functional one for about $300.  Oh well.  Mine will have better electronics in the end.

Why did you get an old angel? Angels have never been good guns to begin with. You're going to need a low pressure n2 tank for this gun. Also, until you get eyes installed on it, it will be a blender(chopping paint). Put a tadao chip in it, if possible. I don't know much about the lucky boards. All I know is lucky went out of business.

Also, angels are very high maintenance guns. I owned an Angel 1, the new angel from WDP, and it was nice but they're high maintenance like I said.
It was "cheap" and looked like a fun project gun.  I'll admit I'm not too familiar with angels (except that everybody and their brother has requested one be added to paintball 2).  What makes them not a "good gun"?  As long as it can hit 15bps, which I'm sure it can, and shoot consistently, I'll be in good shape.   I've heard they're very reliable and will last forever if cared for properly.

The tadao boards are great from what I've heard, but I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on it, since it may turn out not to be that good (or not work at all), so I got a lucky board with a hater chip for $80.  Lucky isn't out of business, they just aren't distributing to the US right now.  What makes the angel high maintenence?  From what I can tell, it seems pretty simple to take care of.  It doesn't look as complicated as something like an autococker, but I could be wrong.

As for the "chopping paint" claim, I've seen guys at tourneys shooting some Angel 1's and Diablo paint with the thinnest shells I know of. If that thing chopped paint, it would be a monster with those balls.

He was saying that it would chop without eyes.  I'm putting eyes in, so that shouldn't be a problem.   My friend has a couple Bob Longs, so after I get it up and running, I'll have to compare them.

studmuffin

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 06:45:14 PM »
Autucockers are pretty much a dead gun. Any gun can easily be taken care of as long as the owner knows what he is doing. Older angels have a reputation of breaking down and such. If you really want it to be a project gun, slap an ultralight frame on it, it will take milling of the frame, and probably of the body of the angel. All I know is, when I had my A1, it was such a long drawn out process just to get to certain parts of the gun.

Everyone who is new to paintball automatically thinks angels are the most amazing thing to hit the market. It can hit 15 bps as long as you can shoot that fast, and as long as your loader feeds that fast.

What kind of hopper do you have? If you plan on not using an eye system, I suggest you upgrade to a v35 halo, pulse or Vlocity.

Also, really any gun pre-2k4 is not considered high end anymore. They're outdated and really aren't worth much anymore. Granted, what you paid wasn't that bad, but if you ever plan on reselling it, you will make no profit at all.

studmuffin

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 06:48:23 PM »
If Angel 1's suck, why are they $1000+ for new ones. As for the "chopping paint" claim, I've seen guys at tourneys shooting some Angel 1's and Diablo paint with the thinnest shells I know of. If that thing chopped paint, it would be a monster with those balls.

Angel 1 boards have settings for brittle paint, and they also come with soft face bolts. I never said angel 1's suck. A lot of them seem to break down. Mine worked fine, and shot well. Angels have a rep for breaking down a lot.

Bob long makes good guns, the marq series are really nice. I had a marq 6 and it shot as smooth as butter. If I were to recommend any gun to anyone on here, it would be an 05 ego or up, they're reliable and very nice.

iEATnoobs

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 07:12:51 PM »
Steeb... lmao.... omg ok.... Well nobody said anything about an Angel 1 sucking, imo the newer ones are one of the better guns. In general any gun that is out of date will not keep up with the newer models. Now i suppose you shoot a mechanical spyder... am i right? If you ever shot a higher end gun you would know that without a good hopper or eyes, an experienced paintballer can and will outshoot his hopper causing the gun to shoot when the paintball is not fully loaded into the gun, resulting in a chop. In other words "chopping paint". Even with practice grade paintballs the gun will be a blender.

I do agree with you on the bob longs. I shoot a new empire 2 intimidator and it's my favorite gun i have ever owned or shot. And i have shot just about every brand name marker out there.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 07:28:39 PM »
I've already ordered a bolt with a padded front and a Halo B (at the moment I have a revvy).  I kind of wanted a pulse, but given the legal issues surrounding it, I'll just leave it be for now.  May be difficult to get replacement parts in the future.

* jitspoe points out for the 3rd time that he's adding eyes.

I'm not sure what makes older guns not high end.  There have been very few innovations recently.  The same firing mechanisms are being used over and over in lighter (and uglier) bodies.  There have been slight improvements in air efficiency, but nothing I'd be willing to pay like $800 more for, and since I'm adding newer electronics and eyes, I should be on par in that category.

Considering how overpriced and overhyped dye stuff is, an ultralight frame would probably cost more than I paid for the whole gun.  Besides, I've already ordered a board to fit the current frame, which matches the rest of the gun.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 05:17:45 PM »
Jitspoe: I didn't realize he was saying "without eyes". Thanks for pointing that out ;)

Why did you get an old angel? Angels have never been good guns to begin with ....

iEATnoobs: technically, he did say Angel 1's suck. He said that Angel's (meaning ALL angels) have never been good guns. I would assume an angel would include an angel 1. If you didn't interpret it the same as me, that doesn't give you a reason to act like I'm an idiot. I don't see why you have to go to every thread I post in and mock me. Leave me the hell alone. Thanks.

And for the record, I shoot a Smart Parts Epiphany. Now, before you say "That's not a high end gun, you must suck at paintball," I'm not one of the richest people around, Ok? I don't have 600 dollars to blow on a new gun every year. I realize it's not a high end gun, but at $300 when I got it, it sure isn't low end.
It shoots, It doesn't leak, It takes people out of the game. I'm happy with what I've got. Mech spyder my ass.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 05:31:47 PM »
I would never buy a smart parts product, personally, considering how they got a hold of the "electropneumatic marker" patent and have been taking legal action against companies that make them.  It's not like they invented electronic guns.  Stuff like that just gets under my skin.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 05:39:27 PM »
I would never buy a smart parts product, personally, considering how they got a hold of the "electropneumatic marker" patent and have been taking legal action against companies that make them.  It's not like they invented electronic guns.  Stuff like that just gets under my skin.
I know what you mean, but I kinda think that excuse is a little over used. Seriously. Out of the last 10 people who've told me they would never buy smart parts, one said they have horrible air efficiency (which I don't think is that true), one said they chop, and the others all mentioned the patent crap. I don't really care much. If a judge somewhere thinks they should be able to do that, whatever. To me, saying that I don't want to buy their product because of a legal dispute doesn't make much sense. Maybe it's just because I am only a teenager, not really affected by it much. Who knows? As long as they don't try to bring a suit against me... :)

studmuffin

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 06:10:34 PM »
An epiphany is an ion with a new body.

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 07:01:02 PM »
Yes I know this... I'm assuming you don't mean that literally. At least I hope you don't think that's the case.

studmuffin

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 07:28:39 PM »
I do mean literally, there is no internal difference.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 07:46:17 PM »
It's more than just the body, I believe, but it does use an ion base.  I don't necessarily think smart parts makes bad products, I just refuse to support a company that uses such low tactics to snuff out the competition.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 08:40:04 PM »
Sweet gun Jitspoe!
You'll love it once it's together and ready to go.
That gun will shoot every bit of what you can ask it to do, and the HaloB will keep right up with you.
Once you get the eyes in and working you'll probably never chop at the bolt.
The HaloB I used to have, on the other hand, will shred a ball inside the hopper if you over fill it. I learned to give my rig a good brisk shake to make sure all the balls were loose inside the hopper before the start of a round, and after popping a tube mid-round.

Good buy!!!

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 12:27:37 AM »
It retailed for like $1700 when it came out (in 2003, I think).  I figure about $100 for the parts to get it up and running again and I'll have a high end electronic gun for < $300.

Nice job! :D