Author Topic: Just me, or..?  (Read 4293 times)

Michael_Fornal

• VM-68
Just me, or..?
« on: January 13, 2003, 11:40:20 AM »
First of all, thank you Jit for getting a version out!

Just wanted to throw a couple things out about the new version.  First, am I the only one that has trouble hitting people moreso with this new version?  It seems that sometimes I'll make a direct hit and it won't do anything.  And it's not lag, I know DP and lag, and that's definitely not it.  I'm mr. LPB anyways, with a sexy 30-something ping.

Also, the models are REALLY hard to see because of all the black in them.  I think it'd help alot if there were more of the color the team is.. if they're a red team, have them have on a solid red shirt or something.  It's just really tough to see them in certain spots as it is.

Also, I know I'm not the only one on this issue, but the blue and purple models are virtually impossible for me to tell apart in the new version.  Fellow partially color-blind folks will definitely agree with me here.  They need to have more of a defined look to their colors.  Like dark dark dark blue and reaaaally light purple or something.  Back me up here, OJ.

That's it for now..

RoyalBlood

• VM-68
Re: Just me, or..?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2003, 02:19:41 PM »
Its not just you.  It seams like sometimes the shots go through models and players as if they were transparent.  Ive heard a few people express similar concerns.

And yeah a lot of people have said the same thing about the blue and purple colors.  There was another topic with posts about that.  The blue needs to be brighter and a different shade, more like a cyan I think.  That might make it stand out more.  Personaly to me yellow is hard as hell to see.  I cant pick up yellow paintballs right away.  Also even the red, red paintballs sometimes can get lost against the walls that are brownish in color.  So I guess it all evens out =)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2003, 06:39:12 PM »
So what you're saying is I should give them camo skins with arm bands?

Hehe, just kidding.  I think having slightly more difficult to see players adds a bit of a new stratigy to the game, though -- more ways to sneak around and grab the flag unseen, etc.

As for not hitting players, the bounding boxes haven't changed at all.  In fact, most of the servers are still running older code, so it's exactly the same as it was before.  The new model doesn't crouch as much as the old one, so you can shoot through the top part of it.  That's always been an issue.  It's just more noticeable now.  Another thing that can happen is people can spawn in the same spot when there aren't enough spawns, and to prevent them from sticking in eachother, they stay not solid until free from eachother.

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2003, 04:00:55 AM »
Shooting at your own teammates because you can't differentiate between friend/enemy isn't added strategy..  ;)

Michael_Fornal

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2003, 12:04:54 PM »
Seriously.  I do that alot on the blue/purple maps.  

This is one of those things that you shouldn't do because it changes gameplay too much.  

All the people still with the q2 version have a massive advantage being that they can actually tell the difference between models. ;)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2003, 12:35:20 PM »
I haven't really had a problem telling the teams apart -- maybe because I've been playing with the new models longer.

Michael_Fornal

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2003, 12:42:54 PM »
And because you probably aren't color blind.  I am, OJ is, and I'm sure quite a few others are.  Alot of males are.. sucks for us.  

But it's really tough to tell the difference when you are color blind.  Wasn't with the old models, though.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2003, 12:49:34 AM »
Well, why don't you fire up mspaint or something and like, pick colors that are easy for you to tell apart.  Stick with the red/yellow/blue/purple -- just get hues you can tell apart.

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2003, 03:44:44 AM »
There should also be an alternative for the many kids who wouldn't grasp the concept of adjusting the skin's hues. Perhaps a few skins with multiple hue levels to choose from (in game)?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2003, 03:45:16 AM by Blitz »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2003, 07:19:33 PM »
You think every person will see colors differently enough to warrant that?

Fryth

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2003, 12:46:43 PM »
Cyan instead of medium blue, problem solved.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2003, 04:28:00 PM »
I personally think the new skins are easier to tell apart than the old ones -- I tried to make them that way.  MFornal, why don’t you adjust this image so that it’s clearer to you which team is which?

Michael_Fornal

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2003, 03:47:32 AM »
I was lookin in the pb2 folder and didn't see a file to edit it?  Lemme know exactly how and I will.. there will be a bright white team and an orange team.  Can't go wrong there.

And it's not just me who has the problem, yo.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2003, 11:58:47 AM »
I mean pick out some colors so I can use them in the next release, not for your own personal use.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2003, 11:59:44 AM by jitspoe »

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2003, 04:31:39 PM »
I personally found it much easier to see the skins with a simple contrast adjustment in photoshop. I just added +50 to the contrast of each skin..

anrkist

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2003, 08:53:39 AM »
What color is your poopies mike ?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2003, 02:21:06 AM »
Mike: can you distinguish between these colors easily enough?

Michael_Fornal

• VM-68
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2003, 06:40:58 AM »
Yes.  Very much so..

I'm not trying to be a douche about all this, but it really is hard to tell the current colors. =)