Author Topic: Help for simple stuff.  (Read 2519 times)

Fanoto

• PGP
Help for simple stuff.
« on: October 25, 2007, 05:45:14 PM »
Hello, I'm a new mapper, currently have a big one in progress and I have a few questions. First off, what is hint exactly(I know it can reduce r_speeds and such), such as what does it do, how do you use it, and what visual effects does it have? I've read many tutorials and still clueless. Now, in addition to said map, I have a deadline for a different kind of map. The map in question is going to be a simple museum for one of my projects and I need help on simply how to set the trigger to run an informative .wav file from a speaker.

KiLo

• Autococker
Re: Help for simple stuff.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 10:53:30 PM »
Instead of starting out with a big map that will look like crap most likely since it is your first map, start out with a smaller map and hone your skills first.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 11:39:35 PM »
Instead of starting out with a big map that will look like crap most likely since it is your first map, start out with a smaller map and hone your skills first.

This is sound advice albeit pre-emptive and maybe unnecessary, considering we haven't seen his map yet, and since he's asking about stuff like hint brushes, and knows what r_speeds are, I'm betting he's one of our smarter new users who has used the search button.
And look at the punctuation, lack of exclamation points, and no caps, I'm actually impressed :D

Fanoto, fortunately for you, one of our very talented and hardworking members of the community has created a guide on hint brushes, which I'll post the link to in a minute... (expect me to modify this post)

James

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 12:31:33 PM »
Don't censor the kid, if his first map is going to be big, let it. If anything he'll run into many problems which he'll learn to fix and then not make them on his next one. I mean I doubt he'll make a for sure hitter his first time like palmtree, but who can?

Hint brushes are used to make a break in the polygons created by VIS to view certain points. Basically say you have 2 rooms that are near each other connected by an angled hallway. Putting the hint brush in the hall gives VIS more places to view nodes so it won't register a node in the second room being visible to the ones in the first, reducing lag. If done wrong though you'll just be generating more nodes for VIS to calculate and increasing your r_speeds. In a simpler term, they generate more polygons in one area that's visible so you don't have to see all the polygons in another area that isn't visible.

This tutorial here is the best that I've found that explains how to implement the hint brushes.

http://www.gamedesign.net/node/52

This website here gives you a break down and a better understanding of how your map compiles.

http://lfire.planetquake.gamespy.com/Level_Editing/Tutorial/tutorial1.html#intro

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 01:11:18 PM »
Also if you read the OP carefully the map is not for play but part of some project. That being said I don't know why he'd need hints or why r_speeds would matter at all for this.

FtX

Fanoto

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 02:14:08 PM »
Wow, thanks for the links they really help, I'll get started on them right away.

Fanoto

• PGP
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 02:19:05 PM »
Don't censor the kid, if his first map is going to be big, let it. If anything he'll run into many problems which he'll learn to fix and then not make them on his next one. I mean I doubt he'll make a for sure hitter his first time like palmtree, but who can?

Hint brushes are used to make a break in the polygons created by VIS to view certain points. Basically say you have 2 rooms that are near each other connected by an angled hallway. Putting the hint brush in the hall gives VIS more places to view nodes so it won't register a node in the second room being visible to the ones in the first, reducing lag. If done wrong though you'll just be generating more nodes for VIS to calculate and increasing your r_speeds. In a simpler term, they generate more polygons in one area that's visible so you don't have to see all the polygons in another area that isn't visible.

This tutorial here is the best that I've found that explains how to implement the hint brushes.

http://www.gamedesign.net/node/52

This website here gives you a break down and a better understanding of how your map compiles.

http://lfire.planetquake.gamespy.com/Level_Editing/Tutorial/tutorial1.html#intro

I wish I could shake your hand, that first link explained it all perfectly for me and now it makes much more sense. Thank you.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 11:49:15 AM »
I wish I could shake your hand, that first link explained it all perfectly for me and now it makes much more sense. Thank you.

We all wish we could shake his hand.  Sadly enough he has no arms and still manages to play DP with his feet.

James

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 12:28:35 PM »
:(

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 12:48:40 AM »
We all wish we could shake his hand.  Sadly enough he has no arms and still manages to play DP with his feet.

He longs for arms so bad, in pub he just types 'arm!' repeatedly... wait, that's WarWulf...