Author Topic: Presenting the GGC Digital Paint Mapping Contest!  (Read 61177 times)

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Presenting the GGC Digital Paint Mapping Contest!
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2007, 04:45:58 PM »
What is 'technical', exactly? >_>

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2007, 05:12:20 PM »
Im really hoping it doesn't just mean r_speeds. I think it encompasses the consideration of the level of techniques used, some of which are more difficult to implement than others and an overarching sense of well-rounded development and implementation. Theres a balance to be struck with r_speeds, visuals and gameplay, which experienced mappers will probably know all too well, and its nice that the maps here have some consideration in different corners of the balance: eg, COI leans on the visuals and layout, at the cost of ~2000 max r_speeds (which isn't bad by any counts, and isn't the highest in the competition), whereas Warwulf has good looking visuals through a s***load of photo textures and low r_speeds, but IMO plainer layout. Each has their own merit, its up to the judges to decide which is the best designed technically.

- DaglessMD

Krewzer

• Stingray
« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2007, 06:59:18 PM »
I'm very disappointed in the organization of this contest. I'm  not trying  to be mean, but from the lack of information to the changing/bending of the rules to the changing of the judging... very poorly ran in my opinion.
I'm sure there's reasons why it turned out like this but hopefully future contests will learn from this.
  I'm glad some more maps have been turned out for the game. More choices is good thing.
  Voting by everyone and anyone will turn this into a popularity contest, which just doesn't make sense.
  Again, I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just disappointed.

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2007, 07:17:44 PM »
I think it would be a good idea for the mappers and Viciouz to get together at the end of the voting and discuss how the contest could be improved in the future. There are areas which are good, areas which can be improved on, and areas which need to be seriously considered for the future.

I personally would like to thank Viciouz for setting the tournament up in the first place, and at least making the effort to bring something fresh to the community. Bravo!

Reed

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2007, 08:03:12 AM »
I'm very disappointed in the organization of this contest and yeah im being mean(sarcasum)! why were the rules changed\bent?

pffffffffffffffffffffffft :)

what needs to be improved is basicly not changing rules and having the judges judge maps instead of having a popularity vote :)

Example: i could easily get like 30 peope to come onto gg-c irc network and vote for my map with out anyone even knowing about it :P people that dont even play dp and that wouldnt be against the rules because they are voting for a popularity contest, but i dont cause im not that hell bent on winning...

but honestly id like to see more of these contest. they really help out with level design experience.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2007, 08:17:43 AM »
I agree warwulf, to be honest I'm incredibly dissapointed that ub_leg and piped are doing so badly in the aesthetics vote.

- Dagless

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2007, 09:27:20 AM »
naw i allready knew it wasnt going to win :P i just wanted to make a deathmatch map called leg only reason i named it leg is cause i love the map arm! and i vote for it every map, and spam arm arm arm arm arm arm arm. and people would spam leg leg leg leg leg ;) and i actually thought about making this a while ago. the mapping contest i guess just motivated me to get it done :P

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2007, 09:37:43 AM »
what needs to be improved is basicly not changing rules and having the judges judge maps instead of having a popularity vote :)

Example: i could easily get like 30 peope to come onto gg-c irc network and vote for my map with out anyone even knowing about it :P people that dont even play dp and that wouldnt be against the rules because they are voting for a popularity contest, but i dont cause im not that hell bent on winning...

That's the main reason why I didn't want a similar vote done for the map selection in the 4v4 tournament.  It's too easy for certain teams/people to persuade votes from people who don't even intend on participating.  I felt that picking a level-headed, impartial, and non-participating party to do the selection.  Limited time was also a factor in not running a vote for maps.

i just wanted to make a deathmatch map called leg only reason i named it leg is cause i love the map arm! and i vote for it every map, and spam arm arm arm arm arm arm arm. and people would spam leg leg leg leg leg ;)done :P

Funny that I didn't pick up on the arm/leg reference quicker. :)

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #148 on: November 13, 2007, 11:50:27 AM »
* ViciouZ blames Lekky and his rowdy gang

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2007, 02:12:07 PM »
lol, wish i could vote but no irc :(

Still think some element of public vote is good. But yeah, this community seems to have a hard time acting in a mature fashion.

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2007, 04:25:37 PM »
#team_cc :::::: College Court :: We are undoubtedly the BEST DP/WARSOW/H3 clan EVER. :: No reminders necessary :: Good Game [ sV ] :: Record: [ 788 ] :: Streak: [ 788 ] :::::: News: !mapvote coi for free ops

this contest is basicly a popularity contest ;)

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2007, 05:20:25 PM »
And I can't even begin to explain how much vote-grabbing is going on in the Starz channel(s).

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2007, 07:45:55 PM »
Yeah, the voting thing isn't working out well.  It may have worked OK if you could rank the maps, like !mapvote coi piped ub_leg mixer.  Only getting one vote means the popularity votes outrank the maps that should be in 2nd and 3rd place.

I was supposed to be a technical judge, but nobody has said anything to me, so I don't know if I'm supposed to do anything or not.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #153 on: November 13, 2007, 10:42:31 PM »
I would like to see 3 main judges deciding the votes.
This is unfair and strictly a popularity contest over mIRC.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2007, 12:27:28 AM »
I agree. ;)

[22:25:29] <|Starz|TermI> Muff, type: !mapvote Mixer
[22:25:30] <|Starz|TermI> please.
[22:29:20] <|Starz|TermI> I would like second at least!
[22:29:48] <[FarM]grassy> never heard of it
[22:29:55] <[FarM]grassy> !mapvote Mixer
[22:30:33] <[FarM]grassy> how do i even know what im voting 4????
[22:31:00] <[FarM]grassy> I GOT U UP TO 2nD TERMI AND SPOOK

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2007, 12:36:50 AM »
I was simply asking if he would, he hasn't and its his decision to listen to me.

Your post is uncalled for.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2007, 12:45:32 AM »
Eeh. I just saw you saying one thing on the forums, and doing another on IRC.

Anyway, all I posted was your words from the IRC channel. Yours.

atmays

• Autococker
« Reply #157 on: November 14, 2007, 01:01:48 AM »
i dont know who the rickdagless dude is

but i know i like his map

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #158 on: November 14, 2007, 02:10:43 AM »
* ViciouZ blames Lekky and his rowdy gang

What have we done?

::)

Reed

• VM-68
« Reply #159 on: November 14, 2007, 06:55:08 AM »
i dont know who the rickdagless dude is

but i know i like his map

& REED!

I have to agree with Jits on this one, BUT I think the ranking system would've been more susceptible to manipulation as people would rank their choice at the top, and the closest rival at the bottom, regardless of their actual opinion of the maps. I feel that aesthetics is the only one that should go out to public vote, gameplay should require a few small teams to play the maps and give their opinions. Perhaps people could volunteer to playtest the maps and then the mapmakers as a group can decide who out of those volunteers will give an honest evaluation. The technical should certainly be judged by a panel of consistent and competent map makers, which there are about 7 of.

I think we all expect a little pushing by the participants, but i don't want people to think that me and Dag have been forcing the issue, or that we are the most popular people in the competition (we're not). I like to think that the majority of our votes are based on the merits of our map, although i know this wont always be the case. I think atmays highlights the former; he doesnt know who we are, but he likes the map. Even people who we have a strong affiliation with don't necessarily vote for our map (Pureblood). Also, in our defence, we never asked CC to put that on their channel, and I have encouraged people to download the maps before they vote for them.

Most importantly I dont want this to take the focus away from the maps themselves, the biggest gain is we've made is 4 new, good quality maps for the community, and we've brought a bit more attention to the mapping arena. Regardless of who wins and why, this should be the primary focus of the tournament.

Reed