Author Topic: OpenGL on Windows Vista  (Read 11413 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
OpenGL on Windows Vista
« on: August 08, 2005, 12:55:07 PM »
Microsoft's current plan for OpenGL on Windows Vista is to layer OpenGL over Direct3D in order to use OpenGL with a composited desktop to obtain the Aeroglass experience. If an OpenGL ICD is run - the desktop compositor will switch off - significantly degrading the user experience. In practice this means for OpenGL under Aeroglass:

* OpenGL performance will be significantly reduced - perhaps as much as 50%
* OpenGL on Windows will be fixed at a vanilla version of OpenGL 1.4
* No extensions will be possible to expose future hardware innovations

It would be technically straightforward to provide an OpenGL ICD within the full Aeroglass experience without compromising the stability or the security of the operating system. Layering OpenGL over Direct3D is a policy decision more than a technical decision.

The OpenGL community should encourage hardware & software developers, as well as Microsoft to maintain OpenGL as a first class API under Windows Vista.

What can you do?:

* Write to your preferred ISV, hardware developer, video card manufacturer or OEM and tell them to bring this up with Microsoft (e.g. 3Dlabs, ATI, Intel, Matrox, NVIDIA, HP, Dell). This will be the most effective action you can take.

* Bring this issue up on other developer and tech-related web sites. If you have a personal blog or podcast, talk about the issue there. Windows Vista might end up being a great product, but not if OpenGL is crippled

* Post your comments to http://www.opengl.org public message board. The more conversation and solution ideas, the better.

I really hope they don't do that.  It could mean bad things for the future of paintball2.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 07:48:13 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:13:55 PM by IronFist »

loial21

• Autococker
Re: OpenGL on Windows Vista
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 10:40:05 PM »
sighs. It was fun. Now what?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 12:12:26 PM »
SOFTWARE MODE ALL AROUND!!

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 06:01:06 PM »
BOOOOO!!!!!  I mean ewwwwwwwwwwwww

JKnife

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 12:05:37 AM »
Linux all around...(good thing you got it done huh?)

toM|vendettA

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 06:50:44 PM »
intercourse you microsoft. They make open gl, microsoft makes direct x. They do good excrement with opengl, microsoft makes people use direct x.
intercourse you microsoft. They make php, microsoft makes asp. They do good excrement with php, microsoft makes people use asp.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 07:12:43 PM »

so far this seems true...   :'(

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 07:15:00 PM »
O_o

I wouldn't say anything yet, since that IS  a test build...
Which you have...
And not me...

:'(

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 07:22:06 PM »
lol, it is strange that I probably dislike MS more than most people here yet I get a check from them once in a whie for evaluating stuff.

Don't get too worked up over it, Vista ain't that great. The new explorer.exe is a pain in the butt to get arround in, even if you set it so you're allowed to type your destination (e.g. "C:\games\paintball2\"), and don't get me started on all the icons.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 08:06:58 PM »
At least the theme looks a little better than XP's "Ignorance is Bliss" theme.  Too mac-ish, though.  I think one of my friends got a copy of Vista, too.  I'll have to see if Paintball runs on his machine.

kNoC

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 08:22:14 PM »
ive heard this from other sites aswell, its not digital paintball just doing it, vista is cool but ive had problems with it aswell, it comes with internet explorer beta 7 and trillian doesnt like it at all, a beta on a beta excellent, and when u wanna close sumden it doesnt jsut close it it searchs the internet for the problem, you are not the operator any longer.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 08:39:16 PM »
Why do people have this?

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 09:02:21 PM »
I don't "have it", I have access to a computer with it on it, I'm sure I could get it, but #1. that would require an MSDN account, or getting a friend to burn me either a legit or a pirated copy #2. It's MS, so I don't like it one bit sam I am, and #3. It's beta...even when it's not beta it'll probably be buggy.
There might be reason to get it once DirectX 10 comes out and some cards that support it are out.
You know you can probably find the Vista theme ported to XP if you look hard enough, try the shareware of WindowsBlinds maybe.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 11:36:31 PM »
Eeek.  I tried Paintball2 on it, and it did run.  However, it was opengl->d3d wrapped, even in fullscreen mode, which, to put it mildly, sucked.  Bad.  Not only were the framerates terrible, but it actually messed up the texture alignment and stuff.  Like half an object would be textured correctly, and the other half would be all screwed up.  It did this both with and without the nVidia drivers installed.

Also, Vista is slow and has like 5 confirmation dialogs for everything you try to do.  It's like browsing the Internet without a popup blocker!  I won't be updating to Vista for a long time.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 01:23:17 AM »
Apparently MS said that they're including full OpenGL support (not d3d wrapped) for games/etc after-all.  Not sure which Beta/RC it'll be available in.

MosheD

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 09:16:55 AM »
intercourse MS :P
i guess i'll use linux, when "ms-knows-all-about-your-pc"spyware,whatever Vista comes out :P

draaxk

• PGP
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 09:53:57 AM »
Digital Paintball work on Vista. It's juste very slow, as Microsoft said.

I beta test it for my company (Vista, not DP :D).

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 01:07:59 PM »
moshed, what are you talking about when you say "ms-knows-all-about-your-pc" ? I hope its not that what i mean! :-/

afortier

• Stingray
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2006, 10:21:33 AM »
Dont use Windows Vista.