Author Topic: Playing Downloaded Maps  (Read 3472 times)

friendly

• PGP
Playing Downloaded Maps
« on: October 31, 2007, 07:24:54 AM »
Hey All

I went and download a bunch of maps from the ftp portal, but I'm not sure  how to play them.  I pasted them into my "maps" folder, but it doesn't take effect.  I'm running the windows version on my linux with wine.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Playing Downloaded Maps
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 07:30:20 AM »
What u do ingame to play the maps?

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 07:32:29 AM »
friendly: Make sure that you are running cheese with that wine :P ;D

friendly

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 07:35:12 AM »
When the game's running, I just select them from the list.

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 08:04:16 AM »
What error message does it give you?

friendly

• PGP
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 08:10:16 AM »
None when I try to select from the list because they're just not listed.  When I try "map <downloaded map>" in the console, I get this:
Code: [Select]
can't find maps/<downloadedmap>.bsp
I just downloaded a map (from within the game), and it plays, but when I go to my maps folder, it's not there.  I've searched my hard drive for it, but I can't find it.  Maybe it has something to do with wine?  Does anyone know where wine stores the maps?

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 08:47:24 AM »
The game should automatically store it in the map directory no matter what OS you are using.

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 08:49:04 AM »
I went and download a bunch of maps from the ftp portal
;]

you are probably putting it on the wrong directory though

friendly

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 02:31:54 PM »
Possibly, but I placed them in the same directory all the default maps were in, and I can't find any other maps folder or .bsp's on my PC.  That's the first thing I checked to make sure I didn't just post a stupid question.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 05:29:27 PM »
Are you downloading them in a zip?  If so, check the zip file's directory structure.  I have a feeling that is what the problem is.

friendly

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 10:59:22 AM »
Nope.  I downloaded them one at a time as bsp's, and that's how I stored them in the maps folder.

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 01:29:21 PM »
Take a screen shot in Windows Explorer so we can see where your maps are situated.

friendly

• PGP
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 02:10:14 PM »
OK.  Can you guys view png's, or do I need to convert it to jpg (my default screen capture program saves as png's because I run linux)?
They're saved in myhomefolder/desktop/games/paintball2/pball/maps, and the game is installed to myhomefolder/desktop/games/paintball2.
I'll attach the pic when I know what format to put it in.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 02:14:21 PM »
Did you use QuDoS' installer, or the start script from his installer?  Because then you need to save them to /home/user/.paintball2/pball/maps/

If you simply extracted the build19 full to your desktop, then it should just go in the pball/maps/ folder.

Herron

• VM-68
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 03:01:09 PM »
yes, .png is fine

friendly

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 03:05:13 PM »
OK, here you are.  By the way, I found I don't have a "demos" folder, even though I was able to save and replay my own demos (though not others').  I think it might be because of the same problem.
The first is inside my maps dirictory, the second is inside my pball dir.  (there you can also see I have no demo folder...).

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 06:23:26 PM »
Sounds like you've got the game installed somewhere else if you can't see your demos outside of the game, and can't see maps you've downloaded inside of the game.  Find one of the demos you've recorded, then put the maps in ../maps.

friendly

• PGP
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 09:29:39 AM »
Yeah, I tried that...  I figured that if I could find the demos, I could figure out where the game was actually installed, so I searched my entire hard drive (including the hidden files), and found no reference to "demo", "demos", or the file name of a demo.  I think it might have been complicated by the fact that I'm using wine...  but I can't find where wine installed it.

friendly

• PGP
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 11:56:57 AM »
I found it!  Wine installs to ~<homefolder>/.wine/drive_c, so you can't get there easily by  browsing or searching.  It's all there.  Thanks for all the help!