Author Topic: odd BSP crash  (Read 1326 times)

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
odd BSP crash
« on: October 31, 2007, 04:29:53 PM »
hey all,

Im having some problems with BSP 0.96b and the new one (d?), in which at random times the program crashes with an odd error message.

In the older version, an error dialogue pops up saying that a buffer overrun had corrupted the internal state of bsp.exe so it has to close, and in the new version it pops up with the classic windows XP 'program has encountered a problem' dialogue.

I've narrowed it down to becoming unstable when i load up a texture directory with just 2 textures in, one regular tiling jpg and one alpha/transparent tga.

Any idea why this happens and if I can remedy it as soon as possible? Its a problem that has become more prominent lately and didn't seem to be too bad when I was implementing those textures originally.

Thanks,

Dagless

Edit: I've further narrowed it down to the jpg texture. I've no idea whats wrong with it, but if i rename the corresponding wal file the program actually loads up my map without crashing. The mystery continues.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: odd BSP crash
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 01:28:57 PM »
I'd suggest sticking with .wal files, then.  Sounds like something with the new jpg loading is causing issues, or maybe the image itself has errors that aren't handled well.  You may want to let sort know - #level_design on irc.enterthegame.com.

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 07:04:54 PM »
That happened to me too my solution delete all my textures except CTP and original textures(ones that come with BSP) I thought it was because I had to many :/ geuss I was wrong if you figure out what the problem is PM me or post it here.
Thanks,
Apocalypse

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 05:11:00 AM »
so far I've not been able to find a consistent cause/fix for it. It appears to be happening to new textures ive been using, but for no real reason i can tell. My usual fix is to rename the directory so the map actually loads up, apply another more reliable texture to the brush with the offending texture (if you can even tell which one it is!), save it, make the .wal for the texture again and copy it in to your textures dir, then load the texture directory again and hopefully it'll be alright to reapply it.

I'd wondered if it was because the foldername for my textures is quite big:'darkp_industrial', but even when we make it smaller and redo the textures, it still happens.

- Dagless

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 06:26:02 AM »
It's just a sign that you shouldn't be competing in this mapping competition to give the other mappers a chance.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 07:59:07 AM »
yeah, a clue was when i recieved an unmarked brown envelope containing surveillance photos of Warwulf giving Sort a large sum of money in a black briefcase.

- Dag

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 08:06:51 AM »
Oh good, you did get it. :D