Author Topic: A map called Routes (for now anyway)  (Read 40216 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: A map called Routes (for now anyway)
« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2005, 01:18:53 AM »
I was talking about the barrels with plain water in them.  The radioactive waste can stay. ;)

As for the path_corner, that's an error on my part.  I thought they were only used for monsters, and I deleted all the monster-related code.  The real question is: how does it still work?  lol.  The code isn't there, but the elevator still works.  Strange.  I'll fix that, though.  Unless there's some other entity you're using in conjunction with path_corner and path_coner isn't really necessary?

As for the roof, there is no lighting up there.  Try it in build 15 which compensates for a bug in the compiler and makes it fair all around by making unlit areas actually black.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2005, 07:41:31 AM »
What roof?

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2005, 09:40:51 AM »
  The roof on top of the building.  :P (It's not a secret but you can figure it out I'm sure.)

The elevator is all that's using the path_corners. I've always gotten that error but couldn't figure out how to fix it.  It may not be needed, it was how the tutorial said to do it.  Path_corner is used by func_train.

Loial the elevators have always killed if you ride it wrong. I tried to use clip brushes to "guide" players so it doesn't happen but I'm guessing because of the jerky action it's too much to push the players over into the center of the pad.    I'll have to look at the enity to see if crusher is on.  Those elevators were finished before I discovered why some spawnflags weren't showing up... I simply didn't think about going back and looking at it.  Each elevator uses 7 (if I remember right) enities each. :)

Cobo you said you saw a jail wall dissapear... can you discribe what you saw?  And something about climbing the walls?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2005, 04:43:16 PM »
Hobo, use func_plats, so that you can use the accel/decel thing. It'll look better.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2005, 05:05:07 PM »
about the climbing walls thing i saw that there was some kind of inclination on the roof  of the walls next to the bases and then i saw that maybe i could jump from the rails, i tried but couldnt so thats why i asked, but i just saw that you cant because there is a clip brush(i think)

and, the jail thing i think i messed up because there are 2 levels on the jail, so i guess i saw the lower one and then the higher one.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2005, 05:44:33 PM »
Can you reproduce it?  Take a screenshot?

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2005, 06:45:09 PM »
there isnt any problem so there isnt any screenshot needed! :P

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2005, 05:56:45 PM »
screenshots are awsome, what are you talking about...?

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2005, 02:52:19 PM »
Termi, doesn't matter if you're not gonna play anyway.... ;)

Here is alpha 5:

http://rapidshare.de/files/6124292/routez_alpha5.zip.html

I don't have any screenshots right now, if you really want some I'll post some.  Pball2 alpha 15 made me change some of the lighting, that's the primary changes.

Check it out, maybe we can test it again this week?
Thanks

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2005, 04:48:46 PM »
Sure -- we can keep up our traditional tuesday and/or wednesday map testing. :)

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2005, 05:19:17 PM »
I will be there there for the slaughter.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2005, 08:48:58 PM »
Hm, as I feared, the lighting looks a lot better with "proper" texture colors for reflection, but now it's too dark.  I wonder if there's a compiler option to just scale up the lighting brightness of all the lights.  If not, I could probably make a quick program that will scale up the brightness on all the lights...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2005, 09:15:43 PM »
Ok, -scale 2 makes it much better.  I'm recompiling it now (with higher quality settings).  I'll post the re-lit version when it's done.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2005, 09:48:13 PM »
K, here's the lighter version.

BTW, it compiled with -chop 32 just fine, so you may want to edit your high quality batch file and change 16 to 32.

Full options were: -scale 2 -extra -chop 32

http://dpball.com/files/maps/beta/routez_alpha5_lighter.bsp

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2005, 10:00:05 PM »
That was fast.

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2005, 10:04:09 PM »
HACKER!!!
MAP HACKER ALERT!!!

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2005, 10:11:30 PM »
  It does look better.  I didn't like all the black spotches and added several lights to help... It's suppose to be a night time map so I was trying to keep it kindof on the dark side.  Some areas are probably too bright.  Obviously not everyone has the same video settings as me.  Thanks for tweaking it.
  Yea eiii it doesn't take long to compile... about 20-30 minutes I forget exactly.

I'll release the .map file next time... so you don't have to decompile it. ;)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2005, 11:31:34 PM »
I didn't have to decompile it to run light.  I didn't change the map at all -- just ran with -scale 2.  If you compare alpha4 to the older versions, it's considerably darker.  This is because rad scales up the texture brightness (q2 textures were twice as dark as they should have been).  The pb2 textures are nice and bright, though, so this in effect made it look like everything was unnaturally glowing.  Once that was fixed with the new bsp pack, the reflective light was basically cut in half making everything way darker.

Anyway, I think it looks pretty good like this.

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2005, 02:45:20 AM »
 Sorry about that... my knowledge of the optional compile process settings (lack of) shines through.  But I think I see what you did.
  What needs to be done to release the map as GPL?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2005, 11:38:36 AM »
Just include a text file (preferably with the same name as the map file) that states some general info about the map and that it's being released under the terms of the GPL.  "See gnu.txt for more information."  There should be a copy of gnu.txt in the paintball2 directory that you can include.