Author Topic: A map called Routes (for now anyway)  (Read 40218 times)

Hobo

• VM-68
Re: A map called Routes (for now anyway)
« Reply #120 on: October 11, 2005, 04:21:15 PM »
Changing teams while in jail:
  I'm sure I saw this talked about somewhere before, but I couldn't find it...
  I used build 13 for map testing purposes. In that build (mine anyway) you had to go observer to change teams while in jail. Recently I started using build 15 for testing and it allows you to change teams while in jail. I believe the change was in build 14 but it's easier to ask than to look. :)  I don't think this is a big problem. However I was wondering if I could somehow make  the jails so you couldn't change teams during the round... such as not being able to change to red while in blue's jail.  Is there a setting I could put in worldspawn, or such, just for this map?  Does this make sense?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2005, 05:31:18 PM »
Jits could hack in something for you in the next build. It might be a cvar, though.

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2005, 05:47:16 PM »
  I don't think it's that big of a deal.  I'm just wondering if it's something I could set in worldspawn such as gravity or others can be set. I've found a couple of missaligned/missing brushes so there'll be another release anyway.
  In build 13 while in jail you could join observer then join the other team and you would spawn in that teams jail.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2005, 06:20:09 PM »
I thought it was kind of silly to have to change to obsever in order to switch teams, so I maded it possible to switch directly, but I didn't take jails into consideration.  I think the simplest solution would be to simply respawn a person when he switches teams.

You did remind me of something I was going to mention earlier, though.  It might be a good idea for me to add a worldspawn option to disable killing of teammates in jail (if ffire is off).  Also, I don't know if you're using it or not, but there's an option to force eliminated players to use the jail (forcejail, I think -- take a look at dodgeball.bsp).

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2005, 05:44:44 PM »
Well, I'd say it's pretty good.  Let's see -- what needed to be fixed?  The ladder fort thing on the blue base.  You need to edit or create a new batch file to use -scale 2 (-extra and -chop32 will make it look better as well).  I'd use "forcejail" "1" in the worldspawn.  Do you want me to create a worldspawn option that will prevent teammates from killing each other in jail?

Another thing that kinda bugs me is that some of the crates in the high center area (around the jail buttons) are misaligned.  I guess it isn't as obvious where the borders are on those.  I might just edit them so that they look the same regardless of alignment.

Oh, yeah, also minor, but the lights over the flag, and I think one light on the high path are one texel off.  Not a biggie, but might as well fix it.  You might use a different colored light for the blue base, too.  Yellow doesn't light blue very well.

I'm going to see if I can modify the green water .wal so it looks like it's emitting more of a green color than brown.

I think that's pretty much it.

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2005, 10:51:39 PM »
  Ok I'm fixing those things we found.  I figured out how to edit the bat file. And I think a worldspawn option for no teammate jail kills would be a good option.  Most jails you run out of paint and hope to be shot by someone.  I'm thinking the respawning when changing teams would be good also, even as worldspawn option or server option... I can see ways to "exploit" the current jails in this map.  But again, it's probably not a big deal.
  I don't see the problem with the crates in the jail button area, yet.  I'll take another look at it.  The water looked kindof greenish to me, but I don't see the colors very well.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2005, 10:58:45 PM »
I don't see why it would need to be an option.  It should just always do it.

I fixed the green water .wal so the light it emits is more green.  I also had to fix some other textures, so I'll be releasing a new bsp pack.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2005, 11:07:21 PM »
Ok, I'm currently working on a worldspawn option for preventing teammates from killing each other in jail.  Just put "nojailffire" "1" in the worldspawn.  It will complain about it now, but I should have it up for next week's test.

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2005, 09:48:28 PM »
  Alrighty, give this a whirl...
  Routez_alpha6 is ready for testing:

http://rapidshare.de/files/6255943/routez_alpha6.zip.html

routez .map file as promised:

http://rapidshare.de/files/6255979/routez_a6_mapfile.zip.html

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2005, 11:36:19 PM »
Jits, please localize that.

PLEASE!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2005, 09:50:49 PM »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #131 on: October 18, 2005, 09:49:40 PM »
Fun stuff.  Nothing jumped out at me as needing fixing.  We can test the other modes tomorrow, though, just to be sure.

lol, I was laughing so hard after bob shot me right as I escaped from jail, and I spawned back in jail with the door still open and shot him.  This is going to be fun to match on.

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #132 on: October 18, 2005, 10:48:07 PM »
GOOD!!!

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2005, 11:45:25 PM »
  I think the map is pretty much done.  I'd like to test it again tommorrow if some people are up for it.  If you have time Jits? or one of the other servers if Jits doesn't?  I'd like someone to look for any problems that can still be fixed before the final release.
  I tend to agree, with some people, that some areas of the map are too small/tight, but think overall it's playable and I'll use that learned knowledge for future maps.  Other than that I'm looking for texture/brush problems mostly.  I always made little changes with every release but now I'd like to finalize the map if it's ready.
  So... tomorrow? (Tuesday) 10PM eastern?  If I'm late, I'll say I'm sorry right now... been pretty busy lately.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2005, 12:33:17 AM »
im there, with or with out u..song from the 80's

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2005, 01:58:22 AM »
Yup.  We'll test that and the new everglades, I think.  I might be running a little late myself.  We'll see.

Also, it may not be very noticeable, but I still think you should align the crate textures.  The light boards are supposed to be on the edge.

Aligned:

Misaligned:

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2005, 09:06:02 AM »
Ok, I think I see now... I see a little white line on the bottom horizontial plank. I'd guess that's the corner.  I don't really like how every wooden crate looks exactly the same.  I purposely slide and rotated textures to try to make them look different. But I should be able to align them and still rotate them to get the different look I want.  Thanks for the screenshots, it helped me to see what you're talking about.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2005, 05:07:51 PM »
what about uni new map?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2005, 05:36:04 PM »
Why don't you post about that in the thread that was made for it?  Please try to keep things on topic, loial.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2005, 05:00:58 PM »
NOOO!!!! NOOO!!!! Its was on topic in regards to testing and what will be. Sadly only hobo and bob showed up somewhat on time. which at that time I had to reinstall AAO