Author Topic: A map called Routes (for now anyway)  (Read 40220 times)

Hobo

• VM-68
Re: A map called Routes (for now anyway)
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2005, 03:31:25 PM »
  I'm almost finished with it... I've added several things I hope will make it flow better.  Anyway.. it should be available later today.  Releasing it open source is fine, the final version that is.  Documentation will be lacking most likely ;).

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2005, 07:32:51 PM »
weee hurry!!!

Please make more.

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2005, 02:03:36 AM »
  Yes the jailbreak enity is being used on this map, it's a player lets you out.  The "release" buttons are clearly marked by color now.
  Added/removed "stuff" in flag areas plus quite a few other tweaks.
  It seems you could probalby keep "tweaking" a map forever.  It seems like if you look hard enough, there's always something that might work better if done different. I suppose at some point you gotta stop "tweaking" and move on.  Hopefully this map is getting close...

http://rapidshare.de/files/5272910/routez_alpha3.zip.html

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2005, 09:03:34 AM »
Hehe, yeah, there's always tweaking to be done.  But hey, it's better to make one really good map than 20 crappy ones. :)  I'll check it out when I get back home.  When do we want to run another beta test?

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2005, 09:27:32 PM »
  The 11PM Eastern Time works fine for me, that's 7PM Alaska Time.  I can be there pretty much any time after 9PM Eastern.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2005, 09:36:35 PM »
What day? :)

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2005, 09:40:25 PM »
Today!!!! ;)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2005, 09:51:50 PM »
Oh, well, it's already midnight here almost.  Let's test tomorrow.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2005, 09:58:42 PM »
It's on wensday at 10EST. Duh.

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2005, 10:05:47 PM »
  Tommorrow or Wednesday would be fine with me.  10PM it is   ;D

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2005, 11:23:55 PM »
Just be sure to idle in #pbpickup. And tell others to play.
Please.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2005, 01:38:54 AM »
I am in

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2005, 12:47:45 PM »
Maybe we should change the weekly pickup to the weekly map testing. :)

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2005, 04:30:45 PM »
Maptesting and playing. Sure.

In which case, we'll sneak BOKb3 on the list...

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2005, 10:32:31 PM »
Dearest Hobo,

First of all GJ.

Lastly, please excuse however I must say this;

I noticed some middle map, top jumps that were used by "quick" which normally I hate because i cant do :( were used.

In some popular maps this was / is used as an exploit. Now this might have nothing to due with what I am complaining about. After playing against the best q2 has to offer, I never got this mods Jumping Ability. Unless the default grav is different than the normal q2 mods which i know nothing about.
In summation, I believe a newb should be able to make any jump period anything else is a exploit.
Unless someone is hoisting up others players!!!

***Modify real time post not from when it started but when it post!!!!!

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2005, 10:34:31 PM »
Yeah, and take out the autococker too, because people with autocockers shoot at me.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2005, 10:41:15 PM »
Well, I had fun.  That was pretty crazy.  I like how the jails worked out.  Most of the time you'd be stuck with a pgp instead of the low end equipment that you spawn with.  The jail doors in the middle are a little "glitchy" as you can get stuck/killed if more than one person tries to escape.  Good job on reworking the base so it's a little easier to stay away from the jailers, as well as get to the flag.  My only complaint is that it seems to have increased the r_speeds considerably.  Oh, and you should put the little angled piece back on the railing.  It loooked cool before, but now it looks kind of funky.  I saw a misaligned crate texture near the maze entrance to the blue base -- not sure if that was the one you saw or not.  Other than that it looks good.

Oh, and for KOTH mode, you need to make a hill entity that covers a larger area so the person on the hill isn't such an easy target.  Mayibe make it extend to one of the boxes and barrels and stuff so people can hide.  Also, you will need to make spawn points outside of the base for KOTH mode, as spawn camping can be a big problem.  Maybe we'll test that next.

One last request:  Move the map up above 0 on the z-axis (just alt-L to lock all the textures and move it up 256 units or so).  Some framerates offer an unfair advantage with negative positions, and I'd rather avoid it by simply making sure all the new maps have no negative coordinates.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2005, 10:44:00 PM »
*edit look

this should be in order of post not start time of posting

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2005, 12:48:42 AM »
  Thank you Loial21, however I assume you're talking about the barrels by the angle bridge. I feel strongly that those must stay.  I don't think everything on the map needs to be newb friendly. ;)  And I think it makes it more interesting and gives more choices. I'm not a very good jumper either but I keep trying to learn those jumps and I think I've gotten better at them by keeping on trying.  Looking for an advantage is part of learning the map. If you think it's a exploit then I'm sorry you feel that way.  But thank you for the kind words. If you want, I'll teach you or anyone how to jump into the bd of castle1... even if I can't do it everytime, I do know how.  The autococker room is another "exploit" that will stay. (eiii)  :)  But I do appreciate the comments.

Jitspoe thanks for testing the map and getting some players on the server.  I thought it was going to be too many people for ctf but it worked out fine and it was fun.
  The jail "bomber bay" door as you called them :) are set to crusher, I guess I'd better change that, plus I also got stuck for a sec on the door too... I think I have an idea how to make that end of the jail better, I'll look at it.
   I opened up most of the "windows" between routes and notice a big jump in r_speeds also. I may have to shrink them back down some, and/or change/add something to break it up.  The ladders, barrels, steps  and such have the detail added as in brush contents.  I saw you saying detail brushes shouldn't be used, I'm not sure if you mean the actual detail brush or the contents detail setting. (could do the same thing for all I know)
  It's funny, I liked the rail without the angled piece better... took me a long time to align the brushes on that angle too.... haha.
  A hill entity for KOTH mode, hmm... not sure what you're talking about but I'll figure it out and also move it up above 0.  I thought you had to be sitting on the white flag to score points...

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2005, 08:07:48 AM »
The autococker room is another "exploit" that will stay. (eiii)  :)

What? Autococker room? I was just making fun of loial21 for whining about things. He can't do trick jumps, and I can't kill people that have autocockers. So, they should both be taken out.

^And by that I mean NO!