Author Topic: A map called Routes (for now anyway)  (Read 40225 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: A map called Routes (for now anyway)
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2005, 03:33:56 PM »
A hill entity lets you expand the area people can touch to get points.  If people have to be touching the flag itself, it makes it too easy to shoot them, since you'll know exactly where they are.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2005, 06:06:41 PM »
The pickup time has been changed to 9 due to popular request. :\ Just thought you'd want to know...

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2005, 11:19:14 PM »
Thank you Loial21, however I assume you're talking about the barrels by the angle bridge. I feel strongly that those must stay. I don't think everything on the map needs to be newb friendly. ;) And I think it makes it more interesting and gives more choices. I'm not a very good jumper either but I keep trying to learn those jumps and I think I've gotten better at them by keeping on trying. Looking for an advantage is part of learning the map. If you think it's a exploit then I'm sorry you feel that way. But thank you for the kind words. If you want, I'll teach you or anyone how to jump into the bd of castle1... even if I can't do it everytime, I do know how. The autococker room is another "exploit" that will stay. (eiii) :) But I do appreciate the comments.

Jitspoe thanks for testing the map and getting some players on the server. I thought it was going to be too many people for ctf but it worked out fine and it was fun.
 The jail "bomber bay" door as you called them :) are set to crusher, I guess I'd better change that, plus I also got stuck for a sec on the door too... I think I have an idea how to make that end of the jail better, I'll look at it.
 I opened up most of the "windows" between routes and notice a big jump in r_speeds also. I may have to shrink them back down some, and/or change/add something to break it up. The ladders, barrels, steps and such have the detail added as in brush contents. I saw you saying detail brushes shouldn't be used, I'm not sure if you mean the actual detail brush or the contents detail setting. (could do the same thing for all I know)
 It's funny, I liked the rail without the angled piece better... took me a long time to align the brushes on that angle too.... haha.
 A hill entity for KOTH mode, hmm... not sure what you're talking about but I'll figure it out and also move it up above 0. I thought you had to be sitting on the white flag to score points...
Tonight was done grrrr8 center flag....my point was more to advance jumping on any map. This is the only FPS i have seen where skilled jumping can dictate a game. Ok np, but at least have superior support for advance jumping, it does play a critical role!!!!   any thing else is a cop out.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2005, 11:40:48 PM »
Loial, the jumping does not "dictate" the game. In a duel between someone who can jump well, and a person who can aim, the person who can aim will win at least 75% of the time. And if you dont like being bad a jumping, practice! Load up routez and start jumping.

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2005, 12:20:52 AM »
  I don't even consider this a jumping map. Any jumps done on it can be done fairly easily after watching someone do it.  I don't see the point of making documentation for any jumps or maps.  That's just part of being new at something, if you camera someone good you can learn alot about both how they play and why they are doing good.  Even though Uni can be annoying, I can't count how many things I've learned from him and others just by watching how they play.  You can download information about stafejumping, and doublejumping from the internet.... I sincerly believe that you think a flat map with no walls is the only fair map to play.  Oh yea... you like arm and anthills. :)  Maybe Jitspoe should add a grapple hook to help anyone who can't run and jump.
  I'm not trying to argue about jumping in maps it's just that I don't understand how it's an exploit.  Anyone in the game has the same chance to make any jump.  I'd think people with a 26 ping are using a bigger exploit than jumping around a map.  Think about that cowboy!!  :)
  Yea 1 flag was fun but the jails need to be swapped during that mode. Which means the jail buttons will be the wrong color... ARGGHH!!!  :'(   Where will it all end...
  Koth was even fun because I was on the winning team (always more fun when you're on the winning team).
  Loial21, thanks for the comments, I simply dissagree about the jumps... no biggie.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2005, 12:54:44 AM »
In koth, the other team just kept getting beat back by me and someone else.
'Twas funny. 50-1

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2005, 12:41:18 PM »
I don't think they fully grasped the concept of KOTH.  Cobo was the only one who got on the flag, I think.  Hehe, they kept shooting through the windows, and I kept pgping them from jail.

As for the jumps, there's a ladder practically right next to those barrels, so if you can't jump up them, use the ladder.

One last thing -- the steps up the side of the wall to the flag capture point -- I kept getting thrown off to the side when I tried to jump up them quickly.  Maybe I just suck, but it was kind of frustrating.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2005, 04:35:09 PM »
Hey! I was on the flag for a long time/protected the guy on the flag until I just started pushing them back. :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2005, 04:53:54 PM »
You weren't on the red team.  I meant "they" as in "the other team".

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2005, 05:38:51 PM »
Maybe Jitspoe should add a grapple hook to help anyone who can't run and jump.!!!!!!!

HELL YES!! (you shuold see meh grapple with my rail :) ))

Hobo lol you HPB!!! I am not asking for the mappers to show how to do such things. I am just saying its not very documented on how to accomplish such jumps in digitalpaintball this is the only q2 mod that has such jumps. Its an aquired skill that needs to be taught, becuase I know not :)

Paaaaleeease dont make me play wiht my self to learn ;(

Eio,
 Your correct in the assumption that if one was confronting the other. Completely not my point gj. My point is that if one teams is able to go bd and the other is not. that is a problem, no matter how you try to explain, its nor fair.

Jitspoe,

Keep on playing with your self you'll get that jump by flag!! ;(

« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 06:04:12 PM by loial21 »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2005, 06:48:12 PM »
Um, it's in all quake2 mods.  Hell, there's even a quake2 mod dedicated to trick jumps.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2005, 07:14:57 PM »
lol YOU SAID HELL
ok as I said you know to much :)
Jump MOD
 I digress, I assumed these were used to hone jumping skills not to used in serious q2 ctf fps play thus giving your team in some maps an extremely unfair advantage. If you can show me one example in a played q2 map (other than dp) that uses such jumps as a serious means to shortcut to flag or camp spot, then I wil shad up. That is why they have grapple hooks and rocket jumps are for. I dont doubt you, I just have never seen them used. Sorry  for the whiney rant and ingnorance, its blibe quietl.

Hobo

• VM-68
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2005, 01:12:46 AM »
  Here we go again...  lots of changes... rspeeds are still high in a couple of spots (over 1000).  Anyway, fixed some gamemode problems, changed jail doors around... check it out.

http://rapidshare.de/files/5695168/routez_alpha4.zip.html

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2005, 04:39:49 PM »
Jitspoe can you load this please. I would like to test it tonight.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2005, 05:39:10 PM »
Heh. Jits, you should add a grapple... But just for fun. Grapple maps?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2005, 05:42:11 PM »
I can upload it, but I won't be able to test as I'm heading home tonight.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2005, 07:59:30 PM »
K, it's up:

newmap beta/routez_alpha4 <gamemode>

<gamemode> being ctf, 1flag, koth, or dm (It supports all those, right?)

Just took a brief look at it -- looks good.  Glad you're taking the time to do it properly.  It should be a lot of fun.

I need to get the new bsp pack together so you can get better lighting.  Let me know how the testing goes -- we'll probably test it some more next week, too.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2005, 09:46:19 PM »
thanks

Jitspoe really ...loials grapple server :)
 paaaaalease!!!!!!

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2005, 09:59:39 PM »
awhaaaaaat?  sorry hobo idk 

HELP?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2005, 10:46:45 PM »
K, it's up:

newmap beta/routez_alpha4 <gamemode>

<gamemode> being ctf, 1flag, koth, or dm (It supports all those, right?)

Just took a brief look at it -- looks good. Glad you're taking the time to do it properly. It should be a lot of fun.

I need to get the new bsp pack together so you can get better lighting. Let me know how the testing goes -- we'll probably test it some more next week, too.