Author Topic: Pre-announce: GGC Anniversary DPCup 4v4 - Nov 11th  (Read 6295 times)

magalhaes

• Autococker
Re: Pre-announce: GGC Anniversary DPCup 4v4 - Nov 11th
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 07:18:21 AM »
Yeah xtremebain would apreciate if you could help with the announcing of scores

Is this maplist subject to change? or Should I bother complaining about the maps? :)

bitmate

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 07:52:13 AM »
Yeah xtremebain would apreciate if you could help with the announcing of scores
* bitmate throws in botmate's infamous score tracker

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 08:24:43 AM »
mmhmm, dont wake me up at 8 am on a saturday... :o

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 10:08:51 AM »
I comissioned the infamous Herron to decide the maps and sign off on the official rules.  He agreed that a couple of the maps may not be well accepted but much thought went into each one and why it's there.  20ID is a little upset that pbcup_sassault nor castle1 were selected and that we have to play ub_rooftop, propaint1 and carpathian.  I know that pbcup_sassault, castle1, roundup, pbcup_pbsanctuary, pbcup_pforest, etc. would go over well with some of the better teams, but the intention was to pick maps that would reduce the blow-out potential in a 10 minute game.  I think that overall these maps will be be enjoyable for more everyone and not just the top 4 teams.

As for cfire, we'll be using the PBCup weapons .ent.  I'll upload it to #eR33t-Gaming tonight and see if I can get it placed on OTB sometime tomorrow.  I'll attach it to a future post here as well.

* bitmate throws in botmate's infamous score tracker

I've got everything needed for IRC scores ready, I was hoping to get someone who would get on Shoutcast to cast some of the matches.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 11:46:10 AM »
cfire wouldnt work well because its a map where there is a good gameplay in the mid, but when it comes to basecamping (lets say 1 team got 2 point lead) the map is not as good. This is even worse with 10min timelimit.

On other maps - especially renoir and carp - the situation is whole different. You can turn things around with 1 round and basecamping in those maps are bad for the campers.

PP1 and roof have only 1 flag too and I can only imagine how fun it would be to play rooftop when the whole other team is sitting under stairs and on flag.

But still, the game is played by people so the fact how much fun the match is is up to the players.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 02:11:19 PM »
The teams that you see religiously holding down the base or flag room aren't going to win.  We've seen this time and time again (maybe with the exception of .xb. beating insane on propaint1 in PBCup ;)).  The best teams in this game are heavily offensive because that's the easiest way to win, decent offence usually beats great defence.  If a team can win 2 of these five maps on straight defence, then they were probably going to win in the first place AND the other team just fed them a map to camp on.

I think pbcup_sassault would've been a great map for this tournament.  MeMi and 20ID had an incredible map on it in GGC's last cup at 10mins, and last week the same thing happened on 20mins between CC and 20ID.  Oh well...

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 02:40:28 PM »
I like those maps you mentioned too but you are right bain. Anyways there are enough other maps to be played on.
Looking forward to seeing those maps (pbcup_sassault, pbcup_pforest, c1, etc.) in the pbcup.

Herron

• VM-68
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2007, 06:11:59 PM »
cfire wouldnt work well because its a map where there is a good gameplay in the mid, but when it comes to basecamping (lets say 1 team got 2 point lead) the map is not as good. This is even worse with 10min timelimit.

sounds like you need to practice the drop from the base roof to the flag.

personally, i think this is one of the better teamplay maps because it actually tests the patience and strategy of teams and their ability to execute concise, well-timed attacks.  this is probably the most gratifying map i have played where properly attacking a camper as soon as one of his teammates spawns has a high probability of either leading to a 3 point play or a capture.  call me crazy, but maps where winning is based on consistently hitting speeds over 100 and flying across 3/4ths of the map in under 5 seconds because you hit a jump just right isn't necessarily what i'd call tournament-worthy teamplay.

James

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
So sick and tired of Herron thinking he's played this game.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2007, 08:48:21 PM »
sounds like you need to practice the drop from the base roof to the flag.

personally, i think this is one of the better teamplay maps because it actually tests the patience and strategy of teams and their ability to execute concise, well-timed attacks.  this is probably the most gratifying map i have played where properly attacking a camper as soon as one of his teammates spawns has a high probability of either leading to a 3 point play or a capture.  call me crazy, but maps where winning is based on consistently hitting speeds over 100 and flying across 3/4ths of the map in under 5 seconds because you hit a jump just right isn't necessarily what i'd call tournament-worthy teamplay.

lmfao. cfire is not and will never be an acceptable "tournament-worthy" map.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2007, 09:36:54 PM »

+1

Olbaid

• Autococker
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2007, 09:38:51 PM »
+1

+1

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2007, 10:13:15 PM »
:D

Herron

• VM-68
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2007, 12:07:36 AM »
funny, since it was in at least one previous pbcup

James

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2007, 03:24:49 AM »
Herron, there's no point in trying to argue with this generation of players. They're not use to serious competition and playing maps that require thought, they're only use to playing fast paced maps like one of dt's remakes. They only bad thing about cfire is the gun placement, but even then it makes for fun because your entire time cannot rush every five seconds.

atmays

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2007, 04:36:42 AM »
Sounds just right for us, we dont play fast. we slow it down and use strategy.

But we cant enter cause we jus got a few new members and I wanna practice more.

But good luck to all the teams that plan on entering.

Bix

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2007, 08:27:50 AM »
Players now like fast maps with jumps and speed.

Olbaid

• Autococker
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2007, 10:54:35 AM »
Guess we will just have two people watching each side of the base tossing paint grenades every 30 seconds..

James

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2007, 12:40:39 PM »
Every map in this game has speed and jumps, just because it doesn't have a built in straight away meant for launching yourself 50 feet into the air doesn't mean you won't get to do either of them.

From the post I've seen far, I've yet to see any confirmation of why cfire is terrible other than the fact you don't like it. I would love it if you could enlighten me with your knowledge and know how of matching maps, I'm pretty sure you're diverse verity in your map choosing taste would definitely stand valid.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 01:27:36 PM by James »

JiGSaW

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2007, 09:51:52 PM »
MAN WE NEED SOME OTB SOCCER, RAZZLE, AND SHAZAM33 ON THERE!!!

GET TO IT XBAIN.