Author Topic: Pre-announce: GGC Anniversary DPCup 4v4 - Nov 11th  (Read 6302 times)

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
Pre-announce: GGC Anniversary DPCup 4v4 - Nov 11th
« on: November 05, 2007, 11:01:21 AM »
First off this isn't an official announcement of the tournament and everything discussed in this thread is subject to change.

I just wanted to give teams the heads-up that there will be a 4v4 tournament this coming Sunday, November the 11th.  The tournament will be a 4v4 double-elimination and matches should be getting underway at 1:00 or 1:30pm EST (GMT-5) and depending on participation should last a couple hours.  The purpose of this post is to give teams a chance to work out scheduling for this weekend so that they can attend.

We'll be accepting both clans and informal teams in the registration so if you're not going to compete with a clan then feel free to get your 4-6 player teams figured out.

Matches are likely to be best of three from a 5 map pool decided by a member of the community.  Maps are going to be played at 10min and have a similar config setup as #eR33t-Gaming (current competitive match set, plus forcesky).  We're going to have a bunch of #eR33t-Gaming and OTB servers at our dispence for this tournament so we should see things running smoother than last time.

An interesting thing to note is that the seeds will be determined by two pb2dm1 qualifying rounds.  A member from each team will play two 5 min games of pb2dm1 on a #eR33t-Gaming and OTB server and the seeds will be drawn from the combined total of kills from each game. Scorelimit will be disabled.  I will be releasing more information regarding this with the rules and the official announcement.  Just go practice your dm skills in the mean time.

Please don't use this thread as a registration form and don't try to ask too many questions, since I'm going to be clearing up a lot of information with the formal announcement of this tournament.  There's going to be a formal pre-registration process available within a day.

If anyone with previous experience would like to volunteer to provide shoutcast coverage of the entire event, that'd be sweet.  Just let me know.

Map list update: cfire, ub_rooftop, propaint1, carpathian, pbcup_renoir
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 07:19:27 PM by XtremeBain »

coLa

• Autococker
Re: Pre-announce: GGC Anniversary DPCup 4v4 - Nov 11th
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 12:06:12 PM »
prizes?

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 12:22:11 PM »
prizes?

I'm still waiting on that information and it will be available when the tournament is formally announced.  At the very least bragging rights. ;)  I wasn't brought on board with this until last week, but ultimately this will be ran a lot smoother than their last since I'll have more than a week preparation as opposed to the 90mins last time.  I would love to see every clan come out and play for a few hours and have some fun.  The more teams that we have participating means the better the prizes may potentially be for future tournaments from GGC.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 12:27:42 PM »
ok, nice.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 01:06:36 PM »
 Dont use 10min. The extra 10minutes of play time to make it 20min like regular matches doesnt give you much in terms of finishing earlier.

10minutes match is not enough, especially as this is 4v4 tourny.

dm will be on OTB, so will there be tournament euro servers too?

James

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 01:51:38 PM »
You just couldn't wait for all the information could you.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 01:55:18 PM »
XtremeBain is wishing he waited too :P

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 02:05:46 PM »
Dont use 10min. The extra 10minutes of play time to make it 20min like regular matches doesnt give you much in terms of finishing earlier.

10minutes match is not enough, especially as this is 4v4 tourny.

It's best of three maps.  Each map takes at least 150% of the timelimit to connect, join up, play.  If we were to do 20 minute maps you're then looking at 60-90mins per match.  This tournament will likely have 8-16 teams so that means that there will be 7 rounds of play.  I'm sure the NA players have no problem playing from 1PM-9PM EST, but some Euro players might not want to play until 3am (on a school night on top of everything :o :o :o :o :o!!!!!!!!!!).  10 minute maps should mean each round will be 30-45 minutes so things should hopefully be wrapped up by 5PM-6PM EST, which is already late enough for Euro players.

dm will be on OTB, so will there be tournament euro servers too?

Yes, maps will be played on Euro servers as well.  The intercontinental matches will be split across the two servers like the last tournament (1 map each, tie map on the lower [better] seed's preference).  Seeding will be based on the DM qualification so it's important to do well in that round to gain home server advantage.  The higher (worse) seed will have an advantage on the tie map elimination, the entire process will be described in detail with the official announcement.

You just couldn't wait for all the information could you.
XtremeBain is wishing he waited too :P

I really needed to get the ball rolling on this so that teams can make some time available to play and also so that they can start practicing or forming teams if they're not playing with a clan.  I've got most of *my* things ready to roll, I just need a few more things finalized before everything is committed.

Edit: hadn't noticed that I made the 1000 club today after YEARS of hard work ;)

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 03:53:56 PM »
I think you'd stand a better chance of getting European participants if you started 1 or 2 hours earlier.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 04:17:57 PM »
8am is too early for west coast American players.  GGC staff would like us to start at 1:30 EST so that people can get settled in #home for the kick off of their party.  Having to deal with a 10 hour gap (GMT-8 through GMT+2) is hard to find something that suits everyone's needs.

I am open to the option of having two separate tournaments for the European teams to play in earlier and the North American play in a later, with the top 2 from each set playing in a crossover playoff.  I have no means of accessing IRC during Europe-friendly times, so I'll need you or someone else to round up 6+ European clans/teams that would be willing to participate at an earlier time.  The top two teams must also be willing to hang around to play the NA top two once their sets are done (I do not want to postpone finals until next weekend, and since weekdays are impossible).

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 05:28:33 PM »
8am is too early for west coast American players.  GGC staff would like us to start at 1:30 EST so that people can get settled in #home for the kick off of their party.  Having to deal with a 10 hour gap (GMT-8 through GMT+2) is hard to find something that suits everyone's needs.

Ah, didn't think about earlier zones than EST, scratch my last post.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 07:19:01 PM »
Map list: cfire, ub_rooftop, propaint1, carpathian, pbcup_renoir

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 08:28:38 PM »
cfire?  :-\

Jolly

• PGP
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 12:06:15 AM »
w00t finally a 4v4 tourny, thank you and keep um coming :-D

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 12:10:02 AM »
Should have had pbcup_pforest on there.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 12:43:00 AM »

Agreed.
Kindly remove cfire and add pbcup_pforest ?

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 06:11:56 AM »
Agreed.
Kindly remove cfire and add pbcup_pforest ?

pbcup_pbsanctuary was initially selected but I didn't want to have a 1 week old map on the maplist for this tournament since not every team has had a chance to play it.  The problem with pbcup_pforest is that it's even newer and has only been making its way around *some* of the North American clans, I don't think many European clans have even seen it yet.  You'll get your chance to play pbcup_pforest in an upcoming PBCup event.

StrongSide

• PGP
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 06:42:45 AM »
Well. The fact that we still have a week until the tourny. Would there be any possibility that pbcup_pbsanctuary could be re-added?

Although it's new, it is not very hard to learn.
Just a thought.

Also is there any limit to how many members can be on a team?

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 07:13:29 AM »
Also is there any limit to how many members can be on a team?

Clans will be able to play their entire dplogin.com roster (a roster freeze will be in effect for the duration of the tournament).  Non-clan teams will be allowed to register 4-6 players (these players can be members of clans so long as they understand that they will not be permitted to play on their clan's team once registered to a different team).

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 07:15:00 AM »
Sounds like a fun tourny I'll check my schedule a bit later after the official announcement to see if I can make it to help out with the announcing of the scores.