Author Topic: New Guns?  (Read 15340 times)

MaDMaN

• VM-68
Re: New Guns?
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2007, 12:14:03 PM »
Tippman Flatline barrels are slightly curved to put a backspin on the balls, and you are able to shoot around corners or something.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 08:25:30 PM »
Flatline barrels put a backspin on the ball causing it to have less arc, however the wind resistance during flight causes them to bounce after the same distance, so it doesn't help a whole lot.

Mag1C

• PGP
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 09:17:47 AM »
Why dont yall add a SuperAutolightningplasmaioncanonlauncher gun while ur at it -.-lol sriously i think the games fine with the actual guns.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 10:08:31 AM »
I think that zoom scripts need to be taken out.  Other games have a normal fov and sensitivity cvar, and a zoom fov and sensitivity cvar and a bind for +zoom.  But if you're going to give people zoom, then take away some of their mobility while zoomed, or make the gun/hopper model take up a bunch of the screen (as if you were looking down the sight rail (on angle fed), or to either side of the fun on straight fed guns.  Of course, first we need a LOD system first, then vweps/in-hand models, etc.

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 10:23:13 AM »
i like making my own guns

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 10:46:01 AM »
I'd love to see vweps and in-hand models with varying configurations for the different barrels, hoppers and co2 (sort've like in q3pb).

I think that the when we do go ahead with the new models/vweps, we should adopt some more current guns, barrels, air systems, and hoppers.  We can keep firing rates around the same but pick some current-generation gear to give the real paintballers here something to debate endlessly about.

Here are some other ideas that I've had:
- Have a stock 100 count hopper and one or two higher (150/200) count hoppers which are mechanical assist.  Then limit the rate of fire for the high end guns (carbine/cocker/automag or their replacements) at a 5bps unless they are equipped with a better hopper.
- The barrels just need new skins and names instead of brass/chrome/stainless steel.
- A better air system pickup would increase the gun's firing consistency (accuracy/range).

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 04:43:44 PM »
what i allways thought would be KEWL!

is being able to give your guns a paint job! basicly like the cars  on Forza Moter Sports :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 07:35:16 PM »
I think that zoom scripts need to be taken out.  Other games have a normal fov and sensitivity cvar, and a zoom fov and sensitivity cvar and a bind for +zoom.  But if you're going to give people zoom, then take away some of their mobility while zoomed, or make the gun/hopper model take up a bunch of the screen (as if you were looking down the sight rail (on angle fed), or to either side of the fun on straight fed guns.  Of course, first we need a LOD system first, then vweps/in-hand models, etc.
There is a dmflag for locked FOV.  Personally I think this should be enabled on match servers, but I'm sure a bunch of people will whine and cry about it.

As for more current guns, I don't really like this idea.  Several reasons:
#1 - Most of the new guns look like crappy, plastic toys.
#2 - Most of the new guns look like every other new gun (see #1).  Not many unique designs.
#3 - There would be a big dispute as to which guns should go in.  Everybody would want their favorite gun - ions, eblades, shockers, angels, intimidators, etc.,
#4 - Pretty much all the new guns have the same properties as far as a video game is concerned.  They can all meet or exceed field/tournament regulated rates of fire.
#5 - With as much complaining as there is about "lining"/spraying and lag now, imagine if guns were shooting 20+ balls/second instead of 6.
#6 - The game runs at 10 hz, so every gun would have to be capped at 10 bps without some major changes to the networking code (and a bandwidth increase).  Essentially, every gun would be the same.
#7 - I don't want to mess with potential legal issues using copyrighted designs and whatnot.  If Smart Parts can go around suing companies for making electro-pneumatic guns that SP didn't even invent, who knows what they might do to this game.  Plus I don't want to support any of their products by putting them in the game, and there will probably be a high demand for them since everybody and their brother owns an Ion.
#8 - Ions look like crappy, plastic toys (see #1).
#9 - "current-generation" changes every year.  Next year there will be some newer, uglier guns that would have to be re-modeled.
#10 - I kind of like the classic theme.  Putting current-generation equipment in this game would be like putting modern weaponry in a WWII game.

[GX]AQUA

• PGP
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007, 09:18:12 PM »
WarWulf: that gun reminds me of an uzi.

jits: The gun models dont have to be modern. Just realistic(ish). like this:

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 02:21:34 AM »
Well in real pb, there are guns based, on real guns, but to implement them in the game?

Idk, it would just make me :D, but if they are implemented in the maps, which are made for em , it could be interesting. On a negative side it would take alot of mapping to do it.

The truth is people are getting borred playing with same guns, but do you really want new guns with diferent propositions that could impact negativly on gameplay, or you wanna go by already balanced weapons with all of their shortages and advantages? (and don't you dare to say that you don't enjoy killing someone with, for instance, Trracer :))

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2007, 10:27:01 AM »
There is a dmflag for locked FOV.  Personally I think this should be enabled on match servers, but I'm sure a bunch of people will whine and cry about it.

I couldn't find much documentation on this, here's the best I found:
Fixed FOV - Yes/No. if set to Yes, players cannot go lower than FOV 90. Good if you want to stop people from using low FOV's for zoom on any weapon. Quake2 Fixed FOV actually FIXED the FOV to 90 (baaaaad), SiN Fixed FOV just restricts FOV's > 90. FOV's < 90 are always open though, thank god, for us hardcores who need fisheye.

I don't want to lock it to 90 for everyone, it would be nice to prevent people from using <90, though.  I'll have to play with it.

As for more current guns, I don't really like this idea.  Several reasons:
#1 - Most of the new guns look like crappy, plastic toys.
#2 - Most of the new guns look like every other new gun (see #1).  Not many unique designs.
#3 - There would be a big dispute as to which guns should go in.  Everybody would want their favorite gun - ions, eblades, shockers, angels, intimidators, etc.,
#4 - Pretty much all the new guns have the same properties as far as a video game is concerned.  They can all meet or exceed field/tournament regulated rates of fire.
#5 - With as much complaining as there is about "lining"/spraying and lag now, imagine if guns were shooting 20+ balls/second instead of 6.
#6 - The game runs at 10 hz, so every gun would have to be capped at 10 bps without some major changes to the networking code (and a bandwidth increase).  Essentially, every gun would be the same.
#7 - I don't want to mess with potential legal issues using copyrighted designs and whatnot.  If Smart Parts can go around suing companies for making electro-pneumatic guns that SP didn't even invent, who knows what they might do to this game.  Plus I don't want to support any of their products by putting them in the game, and there will probably be a high demand for them since everybody and their brother owns an Ion.
#8 - Ions look like crappy, plastic toys (see #1).
#9 - "current-generation" changes every year.  Next year there will be some newer, uglier guns that would have to be re-modeled.
#10 - I kind of like the classic theme.  Putting current-generation equipment in this game would be like putting modern weaponry in a WWII game.

I didn't really mean adding a new set of speedball spec guns to the game, mostly just upgrading our current ones to their newer counterparts.  After a few minutes of looking at newer spyders (even the 'classic' series), autocockers... you're right, they look just like ions and these "plastic-toy" tournament markers.  I took a look through pbreview in their mechanical markers sections, and I think that is a good area to get ideas on how to upgrade our existing models.  The firing characteristics would stay about the same.  Maybe replace the VM68 with the Tippmann 98 (can't really believe that they still make these..) and the stingray/trracer with two different pumps.  The carbine is fine, and the autococker/automag/spyder can stay, just upgrade their looks a little.

I still think that new hoppers and air would be the biggest improvement since it adds more depth to the game than just "I'll pick up another more paint/air every 45s instead of 90s".

[GX]AQUA

• PGP
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2007, 09:07:01 PM »
ok hereis mi ideas:
New(ish) air tanks:
1gram Co2
5oz Co2
10oz Co2
12oz Co2
1gram N2
5oz N2
10oz N2
12oz N2

New(ish) hoppers:
100 round
100 round (motorized)
200 round
200 round (motorized)
300 round
300 round (motorized)

Teh non motorized:

Teh motorized:

New(ish) guns:
pgp:
Renamed the Tippmann C-3

Caliber: 0.68
Power: Propane
Firing Rate: 4 balls per second
Barrel Length: 13 Inches
Weight: 3.75 lbs. (without tank)
Effective Range: 150ft+
Action: Pump

Automag:
Renamed The BT BT-4 Assault

Spyder:
Renamed the BT BT-4 Combat

on the hand of custom team/clan jerseys:
The team/clan colors would reflect on the gun.
For example; my clan, Zodiak, has the colors black & orange. So the gun would be black with orange highlights.

on the hand of the sniper:
0.7 firing rate
changeable crosshair between
shoots 40ft then starts to curve down
just thoughts

new map that will soon be made by MEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Towers: The City of Dreams
cod.bsp
will be a camping/jumping map with support for 1flag, CTF, KOTH, and DM

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2007, 12:36:54 AM »
hey i use to have the eggshell moterized hopper

i got a richochet moterized hopper. that ones tight because it has a digital screen.  and a countdown timer min:seconds and keeps track of how many balls are fired. would be could to get a digital display on a gun hopper for dp ;)

now this is what i call a paintball gun :D

ak-42

ak-spk

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2007, 12:43:26 AM »
mp-5 looks terrible and the front of the ak is wrong. cmon wulfie, you can do better

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2007, 04:55:44 AM »

on the hand of custom team/clan jerseys:
The team/clan colors would reflect on the gun.
For example; my clan, Zodiak, has the colors black & orange. So the gun would be black with orange highlights.

I hope you realise the black/orange are QeHs colours.

* waves to Lekky

WarWulf

• Autococker
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
mp-5 looks terrible and the front of the ak is wrong. cmon wulfie, you can do better

what mp-5 are you talking about :P

and that ak-42 isnt a real ak.

none of them are skined. and i made them like 4 years ago :P

but i also made this 4 years ago too ;)

bleach

• Stingray
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2007, 09:23:25 PM »
I
was thinking about this for a while, and here are some guns that maybe we could incorperate into pb2:

Shotgun-like
Paint Grenade launcher
Sniper

also, for the sniper, it would auto change the crosshair to a snipin' one

Also, Buying weapons like CS?

Hey, i just think its a good idea.

What in gods name is this? WTF

bleach

• Stingray
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2007, 09:27:41 PM »
Haven't we gone through this convo before with jen10

http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=8890.0;viewResults

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2007, 11:34:05 AM »
We go through it roughly once a month

marth

• Stingray
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2007, 05:09:53 AM »
at least theyre persistant :P
on a more serious side, if anyone wants grenade launchers and shotguns in their fps, go play something that already has them x.x