Author Topic: Would you move 2700 miles?  (Read 10540 times)

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
Re: Would you move 2700 miles?
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 05:21:45 AM »
I think I'd actually be working on a different project, but I don't have the details yet since I haven't signed an NDA (and wouldn't be able to share them even if I did).  But, hey, if it's bad, maybe I can make it better. :)

That's the thing -- I don't really know.  At the moment I'm just kind of kicking back and enjoying life.  There are a couple organizations around here that put on enough medium/large LAN parties that my friends and I go almost every month, then I have a few friends that have small 3-4 person LAN parties almost every weekend, or we go play real paintball (or both).

Between some of the disputes I've seen some of my friends go through with wives/fiancees/girlfriends and annoying neighbor children, I'm not sure I want to start a family any time soon.  I kind of like the single life.  I can buy cool toys without getting chewed out or run off and go some place at a moment's notice.

So... I guess best case here's what I'm hoping for:
- The work itself will be a lot more interesting.  I'll feel more motivated to complete tasks.
- Environment will be loose and fun.
- Lots of "testing" will need to be done. ;)  Part of worktime = playtime.
- Lots of people with common interests to hang out with.
- Neighbors that can speak English well.
- Some attractive females on the off chance I decide I do want a girlfriend (Carolina girls aren't the best in the world...)
- More tech-oriented activities, stores, and people around.
- More stuff to do in general.

Sounds to me that you actually wanna move, you are just insecure for leaving your F&R. That's normal.

Recently I've gone to a job interview to work in Dubai. In a case that I've actually got a job, I'd move there insantly. Of course, last couple of years I am trying to get out of my country to pursue better life elswere so that also you must take into consideration.

Main thing to do in my opinion is when you decide either way, you must be 100% positive that it's the right decision. What if question may arrise.

As I said, I'd go in your place, if the job is good, pay is better, and that  there is an enviroment in which I can improve and get to know myself.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 05:51:23 AM »
y00tz,

What CoL calculator did you use?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 08:19:03 AM »
Oh, good question: Sperling's.  It may be different on another, but I like to think this one is pretty accurate :P

Playah

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 09:29:28 AM »
- The work itself will be a lot more interesting.  I'll feel more motivated to complete tasks.
- More tech-oriented activities, stores, and people around.
- More stuff to do in general.
That leads me to the conclusion that you should go.
But only if you've really checked your future company for this one:
- Lots of people with common interests to hang out with.
Keep in mind while checking that one: People with the same interests aren't always really to hang out with (climate).

Magical-Tree

• Stingray
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 09:41:56 AM »
Go for it dude. You'll never know what could've happened if you don't. You'll only end up regretting it and wondering what could've happend. If it dosn't work out you can always come back eh?

~MT

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2007, 11:35:15 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:04:20 AM by P!nk »

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 09:15:28 AM »
Jitspoe,

I have a friend, Hal9000, some of you may know him as the person that made the warehouse map for Q3RA3, and did some map work for Q2RA2.

Although he started his dev life as a mapper/grafx artist, he soon moved into programming (sound familiar?).
Once he went professional he went to work for Sony, Raven Soft, and I don't know where he is now.
The point is, he basically worked at each company till the projects ran dry, then moved on to another gaming company. This meant he pretty much moved around a lot (every 2 to 3 years or so).

If your dream is to work for a gaming-type company, be prepared to flow with the needs of the industry. You may be in California this year, but you'll never know where you'll be the next, or the next, etc...

As a young single male this is completely feasible for you, Jitspoe. And I know you want to work in gaming to some capacity.
Just keep in mind that you can't bounce from company to company forever. Always keep an eye out for an interesting and challenging permanent position where you can build a stable future.

I've been with the same company for 12 years. The only problem I have is that I am stuck working in straight C/C++ and some (GAK!!!) assembler. I am currently looking to make a move towards more current technologies, and even considering a UNIX/Solaris data administrator job for the stability, and because I have connections. At 44 this is a risky move for me, but I feel the need to move closer to the front lines.

Plan carefully my friend. Think of your future. Do what's in your heart.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2007, 09:27:53 AM »
At 44 this is a risky move for me, but I feel the need to move closer to the front lines.

I agree 100000%

For example: my wif has worked at the same company for 16 years now developing products for computer systems in car dealerships.

Now, within the same company, she has spearheaded new avenues of revenue generations that is taking her in to building custom VoIP csolutions based on Asterisk so that companies can get a better handle of how and who  the callers are that call their company.  She also is developing products for web development ( tracking ) and advertising related to web sites and tv.

So with this new avenue that she has take,it makes her very marketable outside of her current company, but she is pretty happy where she is.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2007, 12:19:15 PM »
What do you do now? Do you like it? Does it have a future?

More stress for more money is not always a good deal.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 06:28:49 PM »
Right now I work on digital conversion services.  We take data from different systems and convert it into a standard format or a format that can be imported into another system.  It has its pros and cons.  I get to solve a lot of different things.  Some can be challenging.  Some can be monotonous, and some are just too difficult and tedious to be fun (trying to reverse engineer an encryption algorithm for some old format now - the company that designed it doesn't even exist anymore).

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2007, 02:29:53 AM »
Right now I work on digital conversion services.  We take data from different systems and convert it into a standard format or a format that can be imported into another system.  It has its pros and cons.  I get to solve a lot of different things.  Some can be challenging.  Some can be monotonous, and some are just too difficult and tedious to be fun (trying to reverse engineer an encryption algorithm for some old format now - the company that designed it doesn't even exist anymore).

Do you enjoy working on your currently job 100%, or you want a new challenge?

My logic goes this way. If I'm not enjoing my job, I'll still do it, try to give 100% to it and finish it.

But if I'm working on a job for me I gove that, where I wake up and go to sleep thinking of it, what can I do more, and the job is exciting and giving, than I always go above my 100%, because it drives me that way.

P!nk

• Autococker
_
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2007, 04:17:11 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:04:14 AM by P!nk »

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2007, 05:05:22 PM »
Statistic is necessary to pump up the idea which u wanna sold ;)

Edit: Ask any politician

magalhaes

• Autococker
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2007, 05:08:25 PM »
Ask anyone if they believe in a politician o.O

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2007, 07:00:31 PM »
Ask anyone if they believe in a politician o.O

At least 74.9% of the 345 people we surveyed did... :D

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2007, 07:58:37 PM »
At least 74.9% of the 345 people we surveyed did... :D
95.2% of our statistics are made up on the spot.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2007, 10:38:51 PM »
95.2% of our statistics are made up on the spot.

And 5 out of 4 of us do not understand fractions.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2007, 10:29:54 AM »
80% all of treasure hasn't been found.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2007, 04:03:35 AM »
So Jits, in which direction you are leaning to?

James

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2007, 02:22:50 PM »
If you're moving to San Fransisco have an open mind or don't leave your house.