Author Topic: Approved Map List  (Read 8610 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Approved Map List
« on: August 12, 2005, 04:01:58 PM »
I think something like this would be good to have, but the problem is, how do we determine which maps make the list?

You wouldn't be required to match only on maps in the approved list, but if the map isn't on the list, both clans would need to agree on the map.

There are some obvious maps that won't make the cut, like the various Joe Newbie's Unvised Box of Autocockers and Transparent Bunkers, but some are not so obvious -- like the old "classic" maps that really aren't that great, but they've been with us forever.

loial21

• Autococker
Re: Approved Map List
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 05:28:16 PM »
Rally? Indune? :)

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 03:19:33 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:14:57 AM by Dirty_Taco »

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 10:18:48 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:13:23 PM by IronFist »

ZeroLegend

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 10:35:35 AM »
Maybe you should have a part of the site when people can put requests or something like that. So its even...plus you can just throw out the noob maps they some noobs will suggest.  ;)

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 01:28:08 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:14:54 AM by Dirty_Taco »

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 03:02:04 PM »
There would be a couple problems that I can see taking this approach, these are all strictly from a league play point of view.
One being the fact that there isn't a big enough community to have a group that administrates the league which is not involved within the league scene.  Mostly everyone capable of keeping smooth operation of things are also the ones who want to participate as well.  With weekly assignments of maps it could lead to biases etc.  Of course the way to prevent this would be to be assign the maps for each week and randomly assign match ups, or visa versa -- one could still argue that it may be extra preparation for the later weeks of matches.. whatever.

Secondly, most maps are designed equal/symmetrical/balanced so the need for teams to play each side isn't needed as much.  This is different for the games that CAL follows (i.e. CS, BF, RTCW, etc) where the maps are much more scenario driven with attacking/defending teams.  The only place I see it being a problem is on maps with random markers/items because it could happen that if ksplat2 was playing and Team A is assigned red first round, Team A has all autocockers/automags and Team B has all trracers.  Then on the switch Team A gets the advantage again with better guns than Team B.

Just some thoughts.

ZeroLegend

• VM-68
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 03:42:46 PM »
Wouldn't another problem be the number of clans participating? I mean there are like 6 clans which really only 4 or 5 are active.(not counting the noob clans that change every week or two) With the one map every week i dont know about you but i would get tired of practicing and playing a map for a week. Maybe pick 2 maps then the tie map would be a surprise or something.

Thats just what i think...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 04:33:10 PM »
Well, since this isn't for a league (yet), I think we just need to worry about regular clan matches.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 04:37:11 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:14:48 AM by Dirty_Taco »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 04:54:08 PM »
True.  If the decision were in the hands of the players, pbcup and blitz would be the first two approved maps. ;)

agent-hwk

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 07:51:15 PM »
lol that is true jits, so are we trying tp put a dpl here slowly?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2005, 08:44:07 PM »
Because if we're going to do it, it needs to be done right.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 12:05:11 AM »
There would be a couple problems that I can see taking this approach, these are all strictly from a league play point of view.
One being the fact that there isn't a big enough community to have a group that administrates the league which is not involved within the league scene. Mostly everyone capable of keeping smooth operation of things are also the ones who want to participate as well. With weekly assignments of maps it could lead to biases etc. Of course the way to prevent this would be to be assign the maps for each week and randomly assign match ups, or visa versa -- one could still argue that it may be extra preparation for the later weeks of matches.. whatever.

Secondly, most maps are designed equal/symmetrical/balanced so the need for teams to play each side isn't needed as much. This is different for the games that CAL follows (i.e. CS, BF, RTCW, etc) where the maps are much more scenario driven with attacking/defending teams. The only place I see it being a problem is on maps with random markers/items because it could happen that if ksplat2 was playing and Team A is assigned red first round, Team A has all autocockers/automags and Team B has all trracers. Then on the switch Team A gets the advantage again with better guns than Team B.

Just some thoughts.
I have complained about this, not that it matters much but its un fair,that is why spawned equal weapons on each side is only fair.

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
_
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2005, 01:13:14 AM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:14:39 AM by Dirty_Taco »

ZeroLegend

• VM-68
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2005, 10:58:06 AM »
all you have to do is tweak all the maps you play so all the guns are random....so its fair what you get and noone can complain

agent-hwk

• VM-68
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2005, 05:33:47 PM »
yea but that could take awhile?

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2005, 06:27:08 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:12:58 PM by IronFist »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2005, 07:08:45 PM »
Well, weapons can be grouped so the same weapon spawns on each side, even if it's random.  This should be taken advantage of more often.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2005, 07:55:55 PM »
Jitspoe, Thank you very very much. It should be.

Taco, point taken.

That said, we call all agree that maps that require special jumps to grap/cap or have special jumps that allow you to short cut should never be allowed :)

Now before you say "Why handicap the better jumping Clan/Players?" 
I must ask "Why allow a teams with superior skill level to play against a less experinced teams?