Author Topic: Ajax chat "lagginess"  (Read 1433 times)

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Ajax chat "lagginess"
« on: November 15, 2007, 06:07:32 PM »
I have this Ajax chat I built in 2005 and it kind of "lags." It refreshes at an interval to get messages, but occasionally one of the refreshes fails, and the whole thing cascades and the chat is rendered "stuck" until a refresh works again. Is this just an effect of using refreshes after refreshes to update a chat?

And no, don't suggest IRC. Tried. More than once. Confuses people too much. Other than that, we would lose user integration AND a lot of features.

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
Re: Ajax chat "lagginess"
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 07:44:42 AM »
not just an effect or refreshing, unless the chat somehow changes position on the page mid-refresh..

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 09:01:11 AM »
And no, don't suggest IRC. Tried. More than once. Confuses people too much. Other than that, we would lose user integration AND a lot of features.

Well. whole community is on IRC. And if Ajax has faults, maybe it's time to switch to a diferent chat program.

Also I don't see what's so confusing about it, it's really easy to use.

And I know, you wont switch, just needed to type it in hope you'll change your mind.

Cheers!

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 11:40:45 AM »
I didn't say it was confusing; I'm just saying I'm not getting the performance out of it that I wanted.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 12:45:15 PM »
I didn't say it was confusing; I'm just saying I'm not getting the performance out of it that I wanted.

He didn't imply that you find it confusing sk89q, but you did say it was confusing.

And no, don't suggest IRC. Tried. More than once. Confuses people too much.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 01:32:36 PM »
He didn't imply that you find it confusing sk89q, but you did say it was confusing.

I didn't say Ajax was confusing. Second, he wouldn't have made that statement unless he felt I found it confusing.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 01:50:53 PM »
irc.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 01:57:22 PM »
Well. whole community is on IRC. And if Ajax has faults, maybe it's time to switch to a diferent chat program.

Wow.... Ajax isn't a chat program; it's an industrial strength cleanser.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 05:12:00 AM »
Wow.... Ajax isn't a chat program; it's an industrial strength cleanser.

Ok, but he also mentioned it lags (chat)
I have this Ajax chat I built in 2005 and it kind of "lags." It refreshes at an interval to get messages, but occasionally one of the refreshes fails, and the whole thing cascades and the chat is rendered "stuck" until a refresh works again. Is this just an effect of using refreshes after refreshes to update a chat?

If I'm missing something here, sorry.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 08:08:17 AM »
If I'm missing something here, sorry.

AJAX has been an emerging web technology that you likely use every day without even knowing it (Google Maps, digg, that web-based email you probably use, etc.).  sk89q made a web-based chat with AJAX a couple years back, but is having problems with it lagging.  I'm not sure what his intentions (or audience) with it are, but setting up a chat that is (actually) integrated into a website on a public IRC network is never a good/feasible solution.