Author Topic: Interesting paint grenade effects  (Read 1180 times)

edeholland

• PGP
Interesting paint grenade effects
« on: November 25, 2007, 11:44:35 AM »
I noticed interesting behaviour of paint grenades.

When I change the bursts to 0, instead of not bursting, it keeps bursting into eternity, producing a sound nearly as annoying as when you scratch with your nails on a blackboard :P.

When I change the ball life to 0.005, the bursts to 1000 and the balls/burst to 10, and don't throw >5 at a time, the game doesn't crash, but instead shows a deadly grenade. A disadvantage is that shooting is quite difficult.

When I change the gravity to 8000, and throw one, it slides just above the ground, and quite fast, too.

And finally, when I change the gravity to (e.g.) -800, and throw one, it (unsurprisingly) produces some interesting fireworks.

Is there anyone with similar experiences? Try these things yourself or visit my server (if you don't mind some acebots  ;D)

y00tz

• Autococker
Re: Interesting paint grenade effects
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 03:09:15 PM »
Is there anyone with similar experiences?

Unless you're using a modified client, then we all experience the same thing when we use the same commands...

edeholland

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 07:57:24 AM »
Unless you're using a modified client, then we all experience the same thing when we use the same commands...

Sorry I wasn't clear. The thing I wanted to know is why 0 bursts is equal to ∞ bursts, and why grenades slide so unnaturally over the ground with high gravity. I also wanted to know if there were any other tricks.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 08:00:32 AM »
0 often means infinity in some gaming and computing capacities.. how else might you designate infinity?  As for the high gravity, imagine the acceleration that takes place with a high m/s rate of high gravity... as soon as it was dropped it'd begin accelerating at unbelievable speeds... obviously Paintball2 isn't a physics simulator, but... :P

Of course there's other tricks, but I just think that most of us haven't documented them... :P
Have you tried lowering gravity, throwing a grenade while very high, then turning gravity to 5000?

For extra fun/experimentation bind keys to various gravity levels as well as toggles.

Ex.

bind f6 sv_gravity 45
bind f7 sv_gravity 4500

edeholland

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 11:07:33 AM »
I was quite surprised ( :o) to hear that most people don't experiment with the physics. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. The binds are very useful when playing on my own server against my brother ;D.

Edit: Changing the bounceback to 3 or 4 also gives a nice bouncy grenade.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 10:39:21 AM by edeholland »