Author Topic: Newmap - Boxed 2  (Read 18588 times)

M-A-Zing

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newmap - Boxed 2
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2008, 07:28:18 PM »

REMAKES OF CRAP MAPS ARE WORSE CRAP!

just wondering what your opinion is on renoir then pbcup_renoir

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2008, 07:36:22 PM »
He said remakes of crap maps, the original renoir was good.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2008, 08:33:54 PM »
He said remakes of crap maps, the original renoir was good.
What about pforest to pbcup_pforest, that was great.  The original I hated though.

M-A-Zing

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2008, 09:06:36 PM »
I see a common them in the map maker (DT)

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2008, 09:54:36 PM »
I'm confused by Zorchenhimer's response, but personally I really liked Boxed, and was a little dissapointed at Boxed 2.  I'm glad to see you've started over on it, when I get back to my house I'll download it.

-y

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2008, 10:17:39 PM »
Maybe I should rephrase.  I personally hate boxed with a passion.  And the majority of the time, remakes suck.  With, of course, a few exceptions (the pbcup maps, for example).  In general, I hate remakes.  I like to see new ideas, not an old idea with a new hairstyle (if you will).  From the looks of it, you have a good amount of mapping talent.  I would love to see that be put into a completely new map design.

Once again, I did not mean any offense by my above post.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2008, 06:04:49 AM »
you called his map (indirectly) crap.
I like high fov screens: it gives you a better idea of what the map looks like (you get a better view of all the parts of it).

the original renoir was good.

err.. no it wasn't. :D

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2008, 09:40:34 AM »
All screenshots should be done in FOV 90

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2008, 10:10:06 AM »
i_am_a_pirate, you're still too much of a nooby to say what's a good map and what's not.

Dukky

• Stingray
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2008, 01:00:58 PM »
So noobs aren't allowed an opinion?

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2008, 01:16:49 PM »
Exactly.

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2008, 01:40:59 PM »
why arent noobs allowed opinions - they are players of dp just like you.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2008, 03:36:12 PM »
He was a point: sometimes noobs opinions arn't really valid. Experience gives you wisdom... Which apparantly I don't have. I'm gonna concede to what other people think and just say that in my (limited) opinion, it is a good map.

EDIT

Personally I think that I've learnt enough lessons through sheer ignorance and pointless posts (there, I said it) and spent enough hours browsing the forums (especially the mapping forum) to know what makes a good map.

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2008, 12:31:26 AM »
actually, i added air. I thought of the pro's and con's of a larger map like this (because of the low) that people should spawn with air, but it does not start off loaded.

Or perhaps your right, don't let people spawn with air, but make it MUCH more accessible.

Thanks a lot termi

No problem, I wouldn't mind starting with the air but having it close the spawns and easy to grab would be fine as well.

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2008, 07:29:30 AM »
"He was a point: sometimes noobs opinions arn't really valid. Experience gives you wisdom... Which apparantly I don't have."

Noobs are allowed opinions even if they dont account as highly as those os experienced players, but even noobs have a lot to contribute to the dp society.

i_am_a_pirate

• Autococker
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2008, 01:06:59 PM »
being experienced doesn't change your opinions, it just makes you more aware of hoe good/bad they are and whether or not they are relevant. I think that this post is relevant to yours (oh crud, just seen the topic name), but in reality now I think a little more, this really has gone off-topic.
I try to be relevant to a post directed at me or to the topic, apparantly I can slip sometimes.

Back to the map: jitspoe!! Put it on the beta server, it rocks!

M-A-Zing

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2008, 03:54:51 PM »
im not sure if my opinion matters, considering that im a noob compared to some others here, but to me the map is too open and too simple. add something unique to it if you are going to remake it. all of the brush work is simple. you could add some type of structure to the open parts. add more detail all around the map. maybe add a path above the main one out of some bunkers and stuff, like in sand assault (but dont copy it).

Silly

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2008, 04:57:54 PM »
ookayy... leave your thread for 3 days and get a flame war.

Thanks for your comments guys, i too have some as well.

To Zorch:
Personally, to me your advice is garbadge. You play the game at a very limited rate (if at all) and that bugs me a little bit. The reason why you hate remakes is because you never play the originals in depth (like a match for instance. Tell me if I'm wrong). What you seem to be striving for in every map is flawless textures (which can and cannot have its faults). This can be hard to reach in mapping. Before i accept your opinion, i would like you to release a map, and for you to realize how annoying it is for people to be breathing down your back. Secondly, gameplay is FAR more important than the style of the map (though style does help) NO i did not contradict myself there :P. If i am mistaken, iv never seen or heard you play a match in the original verson of boxed. I have played a few, and not only was it fun, you had to make a strategy. People say it is fun to play, and yes. People that actually play the game.

Thank you for your comments, but please actually play the original and then give me suggestions.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2008, 01:45:41 AM »
You obviously never saw abandon. It would have been one of the best DM maps in the game, but zorch's HDD crashed and it was lost.

So shut yo mouth!

Apocalypse

• Autococker
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2008, 07:41:58 AM »
You obviously never saw abandon. It would have been one of the best DM maps in the game, but zorch's HDD crashed and it was lost.

So shut yo mouth!
Yeah I still have that map b2 I believe.