Author Topic: Quake3 Source Released  (Read 5176 times)

S8NSSON

• Autococker
Re: Quake3 Source Released
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2005, 09:33:22 AM »
Look fellers.
In order to make a mod all you need is the SDK (software developement kit).
An SDK is not "THE" source code. It is a small portion of the source exposing that which the game owners wish to allow you to modify.

Having the source code would allow you to do things not normally allowed like; changing the physics, modifying the network code, making a stand-alone version of your mod. Jistpoe could only make a stand-alone version after the source code was released.

Now you can license the source code and make your own stand-alone game. But that costs big money.
Here's the FACTS on Q3a source:
from http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/johnc/Recent%20Updates
see:
Welcome, Q3 source, Graphics
December 31st, 2004 | John Carmack's Blog

Quake 3 Source:
I intended to release the Q3 source under the GPL by the end of 2004, but we had another large technology licensing deal go through, and it would be poor form to make the source public a few months after a company paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for full rights to it. True, being public under the GPL isn’t the same as having a royalty free license without the need to disclose the source, but I’m pretty sure there would be some hard feelings.

Previous source code releases were held up until the last commercial license of the technology shipped, but with the evolving nature of game engines today, it is a lot less clear. There are still bits of early Quake code in Half Life 2, and the remaining licensees of Q3 technology intend to continue their internal developments along similar lines, so there probably won’t be nearly as sharp a cutoff as before. I am still committed to making as much source public as I can, and I won’t wait until the titles from the latest deal have actually shipped, but it is still going to be a little while before I feel comfortable doing the release.

So quit the mindless banter

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2006, 08:32:52 AM »
KnacK remembers way back when when the Q3 SDK was released and we all played with the tutorial to alter the code to shoot the rocket ultra slow. I think a few of us were up for a few long nights.

KnacK sheds a tear....

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2006, 11:06:51 AM »
I wrote a Q3 mod that we used to play here at the office after hours.

The mod:
health == 999
player movement speed increased quite a bit.

Rockets flew ultra fast (almost like a rocket rail gun) and fired at an increased rate. 999 rocket ammo.
Rocket splash damage increased dramatically.
Rockets caused NO damage to the person that fired it...so rocket jumping was crazy because of the massive rocket damage...you would literally fly across the map.
You could shoot rockets out of the sky (mostly only happened by luck).

Rail bounced 4 times. 999 rail ammo. Rate increased. Damage increased.

Plasma flew ULTRA slow (almost not at all...well at first they didn't move at all and were used like mines, but then we ended up with everyone just mining the map). Plasma damage == instant death. Only 8 plasma ammo per person per round. You can shoot plasma out of the sky (but watch the splash damage).

Shotgun...LOL...shotgun shot 4 spread bouncing rails plus increased ammount of shotgun pellets, plus massively increased rate of fire...only 25 ammo count which was spent just about instantaneously...this weapon, when fired, basically spit out a mass of mayhem that decimated everything in it's path...we often agreed to not use this weapon, as it was rather rediculous.

Also made a handfull of maps specifically designed to be played with this mod. Map names: be quietnoob, fux0rd, omfg, pwned, blarg, eek, rox0rz, umph, wtf, and hammer
Olympiad, a map I made for paintball, was actually a conversion map I made for this mod.

Only the weapons mentioned above were available.

Oh...and I changed all the game's messages...so when someone killed you with a rail for instance it said: <killer's name> shoved a rail up <dead person's name>'s a$$...and crazy stuff like that.

you can download the mod the source, the maps, the bat file to run the mod, and whatever else, here:
http://www.logictechnologies.com/keith/stuff/q3mod

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2006, 12:21:27 PM »
I might have to try that out for our next lan party. :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2006, 03:02:04 PM »
Downloads don't work. :(  It's giving me 404 errors on almost everything except for common extensions like .txt.