Author Topic: map idea: the big-tree  (Read 2438 times)

gir

• PGP
map idea: the big-tree
« on: November 30, 2007, 06:02:15 AM »
so, what about a map that is made just of a giant partially hollow tree or 2 with lots of big branches to jump across, etc. bonus: no lolipops OR models! ;)

marth

• Stingray
Re: map idea: the big-tree
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 07:34:09 AM »
hmm, sounds like part of a level in a kirby game, you would have to abandon the idea of leaves and crap, would make r_speeds pretty high, maybe even have some branches go to another branch of another tree (like you said, could make both the trees bases), could be compatable with ctf, 1-flag and dm, sounds pretty good to me actually :)

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 08:00:31 AM »
so basically you mean Tokara Forest from Unreal Tournament 2003?

wouldnt really be compatible with the engine, too many open spaces (branches stretching to other trees) and would be a nightmare to make it look any good. Plus, I can't picture any opportunities for any decent arena-type sections of it, any ideas?

- Dagless

gir

• PGP
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 02:18:30 PM »
Maybe some large platforms supported by branches, a (rope?) bridge across trees, some swings hanging from higher branches, rope ladders to get to higher branches, and a treehouse at each tree for ctf, and maybe even some hollow branches for sniping would make it better to play.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 01:16:24 AM »
 We can all picture some sort of ideal map in my head, but the problem is that it can not be done in q2.

marth

• Stingray
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 01:36:10 AM »

btw, the two bases are different versions that i figured that could be used in the map, i just figured i'd put it in anyway, but thats basicly how i invision the map.
there is also supposed to be exits leading out to the bridge, and a few barriers here and there, the branches are supposed to be hollow, and can contain snipers, theres also a path from the top to the sniper branches that you could jump off of to the other side, but the topped version doesnt include this, and you might be able to squeeze in a story or two.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 02:56:20 AM by marth »

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 01:49:47 AM »
it looks like they are hugging :D

marth

• Stingray
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 02:04:36 AM »
it looks like they are hugging :D
xD how observant  :P
does anyone else like how this map could look? i really want it to work out, i'd even take it upon myself to make this map if i didnt stink at bsp xD.
 we need some more unique maps in dp afterall  :3
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 04:06:48 AM by marth »

gir

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 05:43:03 PM »
a main part of the idea of the map is that it all takes place outside of the tree, on the branches that you mostly jump across, climb on, snipe from, etc.. from your screenshots seem to look like paths, though maybe it is just for the concept. if it is, never mind.

marth

• Stingray
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 01:21:44 AM »
but thats basicly how i invision the map.
*shrugs* theres thousands of ways we could make this map, i was just showing how i thought it could look without overdoing r_speeds or pretty much overwork the engine, theres much better versions out there, i just thought i'd like to show mine  :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 04:32:14 AM by marth »

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 05:38:51 AM »
a main part of the idea of the map is that it all takes place outside of the tree, on the branches that you mostly jump across, climb on, snipe from, etc.. from your screenshots seem to look like paths, though maybe it is just for the concept. if it is, never mind.

my thoughts exactly - if its all outside then in terms of BSP there will be nothing to stop the engine from having to draw everything that appears in the space outside the trees. Seeing as this probably going to be the 'main' we're likely to have a fair bit of geometry (bridges, branches, platforms, crates and other junk, decorative branches, uneven tree bark faces, etc...) and be massive by volume, r_speeds are going to be astronomical.

I've been thinking about what you could do to workaround it, but I can't think of anything which would preserve the gameplay as you have described it.

- Dagless

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 10:32:56 PM »
I was thinking about making this same kind of map just two weeks ago. I didn't get around to it, but I solved the r_speeds problem (in my head) by putting the trees close together, and having tall "mountains" separate some of the trees. It wouldn't really be open but it'd be more open than being inside.

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 02:12:25 AM »
Sounds like a fun map.