Author Topic: FINAL RELEASE: Over the Hills - by RiMiNi  (Read 37512 times)

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
Re: NEW MAP: Over the Hills - by RiMiNi
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2008, 09:38:55 AM »
Hey there guys. I know its been a LONG time since i last did anything on this map. i got a little side tracked with some other mapping projects and school and so on. Anyways i finally did some touch ups on it and now beta 5 is complete. (jitspoe i fixed everything from the revision)
hope i uploaded the right file  :P
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 02:29:26 PM by RiMiNi »

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2008, 12:54:21 PM »
yo guys is this ready for final release now..

EDIT: sorry for the double Post ^^

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2008, 12:57:20 PM »
Except for that one thing we talked about on IRC, yes :)

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2008, 07:09:04 PM »
Omg hotness.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2008, 09:15:30 PM »
I am in aw.  This map is very nicely done and the game play is very good.  Nice job man.
I really like the one high tunnel with the crack in the roof and uses the sky as lighting and that there are multiply paths.  r_speeds are high right at teams flag that is on the ground though.  Not too bad though.
Great job once again.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2008, 02:19:11 PM »
thanks man. so can i finally release this lol ?

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2008, 03:31:16 PM »
Just do it before I slap you :)

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2008, 03:33:48 PM »
Lighting needs to be done correctly, the sun is in one area, and the shadows are on the wrong side.  Random areas in tunnels are brighter than areas outside...

You pretty much spawn with 2500+ r_speeds

It just feels like more of the same...  RiMiNi, think about it this way, what game changing element, what draw, what reason is there for me to play your map instead of the 10 others it feels like?  I mean, if I wanted to see blocky ladders and bridges, lollipop trees, and lots of grass, I have a large of array to choose from.  Perhaps you should focus on what makes this map unique and what it does better than everything else, and run with it, make it truly yours and something that DP would be proud of.

-y

edit: I just realized I forgot to say something positive about the map, anyway here it is. 

The map feels like it was inspired, which is always something good to see in a map.  What was your inspiration for it anyway?

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2008, 10:01:28 PM »
y00tz, I'm sorry but if you actually knew rimini you'd know he's not going to do any massive overhauls on this map 5 betas in, and it doesn't need any. This is the design he wants, he doesn't want to make a different map :). Really, I could see fixing the lighting as something to change, but it's really a map that plays very differently. You can grab second easily from mid, there's a path connecting both second flags. It probably has very different game play.

People in this forum get so worked up over aesthetics that they forget about how a map ACTUALLY plays in a REAL match or pub environment.

Fix the _sun_angle and release it :D

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2008, 07:36:29 AM »
not to go too far offtopic, but I agree with y00tz. I think a lot of people who don't put the time and effort into making an interesting map sometimes get gameplay and aesthetics confused - at no point would I ever think y00tz would make a map without one thought to how it would play. And that said, OTH strikes me as being reasonably competantly made, but essentially mundane and nothing special. In most maps like this, gameplay is an emergent quality of usually random changes to the map, and I think some of the paths in this map show that to a tee, its important to actually consider gameplay set pieces and opportunities, not just sticking a load of paths in. This isn't so much a criticism of Rimini as the fact that a lof of new maps are similar to OTH, I actually think OTH is passable if unremarkable.

Fix the _sun_angle and release it, then work on something special, Rimini!

- Dagless

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2008, 02:27:22 PM »
Well, I think this map looks better than most maps out there right now, and because of how well it plays, and its nicely placed paths, I think it will become a very popular map. ;)

Rimini, I think its a great map, just a few bugs and its release time ;D
-Cusoman

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2008, 11:40:05 PM »
 Looks good.
I do have some points, though. I'll post them when I get home. Nothing much though, afaicr, 2 barrels slightly misaligned and the underground grass looks wrong :D. Use some dirt or something. And wasnt there a plant planted in an ammo box? :D Dunno, maybe you like it.

Hope you release it soon. Would be fun to match, I guess.
1 thing that bugs me is that there are quite many routes. Low, High and then 2 Midish routes. You could brake the wall between the 2 midish routes and make 2 routes to be 1. I mean, why 4 routes? 6v6?

Overall impression was good.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2008, 02:56:01 AM »
I've attached another demo.  I've also put the map up on the beta server for play testing.

blaa

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2008, 06:34:06 AM »
http://scythe.planet.ee/sshot019.jpg - slight misalignment, fixable, im pretty sure.
http://scythe.planet.ee/sshot020.jpg - the barrels are a bit misaligned. Im sure u see whats wrong urself, as the other barrels were good.
http://scythe.planet.ee/sshot021.jpg - fixable misalignement aswell (?)

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2008, 10:17:13 PM »
I really enjoyed playing this map on the beta server.  The only down side was the some of the people lagged the server at spawn.  If you can do anything about the spawning r_speeds, you will make the map even better.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2008, 11:11:28 AM »
ok. i fixed everything in jitspoes demo. and the misalignments that blaa found. i still need to change the _sun_angle and the high r_speeds at spawn points. Beta 6 will be out soon

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2008, 11:13:42 AM »
ok. i fixed everything in jitspoes demo. and the misalignments that blaa found. i still need to change the _sun_angle and the high r_speeds at spawn points. Beta 6 will be out soon
Can't wait.  The r_speeds thing will be kind of hard because anything you do to the map will alter the look drastically.  Hopefully one of these mapping gurus will be able to give you some pointers.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2008, 01:28:45 PM »
hmm. about that r_speeds thing. some other people i have asked checked the r_speeds and said they were fine. and _sun_angle is fixed i think. just need to compile it

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2008, 01:31:44 PM »
hmm. about that r_speeds thing. some other people i have asked checked the r_speeds and said they were fine. and _sun_angle is fixed i think. just need to compile it
Right at spawn, they are over 3000 which in most cases on some of the member's computers will lag ALOT.
My computer handles it fine but with a older graphics card with no graphics processor, the CPU will cry with over 3000 r_speeds

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
um lol. the highest  got in the base on my comp. was 2500. and thats with my poor old thing. but i fixed the r_speeds problem so here is beta 6.

http://zilla-clan.net/upload/026807