Author Topic: FINAL RELEASE: Over the Hills - by RiMiNi  (Read 37511 times)

cusoman

• Autococker
Re: NEW MAP: Over the Hills - by RiMiNi
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2008, 03:28:30 PM »
Well this map is clearly coming to a close, so there is just 2 points left to cover.

1. The r_speeds are not fixed, I spawned with 2300.

2.  The Lollipop tree in not required to get to second flag, so it can be removed, should u choose to make a strategic wall or something to decrease r_speeds.

-Cusoman

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2008, 03:45:22 PM »
take a sshot with your r_speed problems so i can see where. cos i am not getting them at ALL. sure u downloaded beta 6 not 5. lol

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2008, 04:09:18 PM »
LOL yea it was 6. here i take shot. just wait.
-Cusoman

EDIT: Here is the Picture.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2008, 04:31:06 PM »
kk bro. i only get that high of r_speeds with reflective water on. just turn it off and your fine. some of the most commonly played maps have r_speeds like that when reflective water on.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2008, 05:32:34 PM »
2448 isn't that much with reflective water on =|

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2008, 06:06:10 PM »
@Rimini, there is no water in the screen, so its not rendering water, so it doesn't effect the r_speeds.

@Sk89q, the r_speeds is only a problem because everyone spawns with it and so the server has about a 1-2 second lag at the beginning of each round, and some people go longer depending on there general ping, or so I speculate.

-Cusoman

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2008, 06:24:11 PM »
No water on the screen doesn't mean much. With reflective water off, wpoly is only 923 from that position.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2008, 06:57:38 PM »
Hmm, when I tested the spawning with water on and off, it didnt change much, maybe 10-100 wpolys.  Different spawn points are different I guess.
-Cusoman

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2008, 07:27:16 PM »
I checked from the same position that you were at in that screenshot, from the same side.

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2008, 08:51:39 PM »
cusoman.  You are an idiot.  Sorry, but I had to say that.  I do not mean to instigate.  Please, please PLEASE, before you post.  Think.

It's all I ask. 

Is think.

I was over at rimini's house.  And yes, 2500 with reflective water on.  Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it's not rendered.  If you don't know what your saying, don't say it.  Thanks.  Bye.

(No offense intended, only instructional advice)

User banned for this post
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 09:14:42 PM by y00tz »

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2008, 10:03:16 PM »
kk bro. i only get that high of r_speeds with reflective water on. just turn it off and your fine. some of the most commonly played maps have r_speeds like that when reflective water on.
Thats a lot to ask of someone.  Why would someone turn off reflective water for just one map?

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2008, 10:06:42 PM »
Agreed, either find a way to break up the areas and cut down the r_speeds, or leave it, after all it's only for a small area near the spawn, and it's not going to chew up every computer that has to render that small area.
-y

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2008, 10:15:27 PM »
exactly. its not a big problem at all. and i wasnt asking everyone to turn off reflective water. just pointing it out that the water is the reason why r_speeds go that high.

@cusoman, just casue u cant see something doesnt mean its not being rendered. next u are fiddling around in my map try typing gl_showtris 1 in the console and you will see that areas with water are being rendered.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2008, 10:16:52 PM »
exactly. its not a big problem at all. and i wasnt asking everyone to turn off reflective water. just pointing it out that the water is the reason why r_speeds go that high.

@cusoman, just casue u cant see something doesnt mean its not being rendered. next u are fiddling around in my map try typing gl_showtris 1 in the console and you will see that areas with water are being rendered.
There are some cases when something isn't rendered when you can't see it.  Give the guy a break. 

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2008, 11:07:41 PM »
Well sorry to cause some discrepancy but I am just saying what happened, and I stand by what I saw, because I saw it.  Also you can un-ban Queenie, because although he was rude, he was trying to get a point across.  He should just be less blunt next time while posting, otherwise I really see no problem.

-Cusoman

EDIT:
And also I was always thought the engine did not render things you do not see with Vising, and anytime it renders more than you see, then it is generally corrected with hint brushes, such as seeing and underground area above ground and such.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2008, 02:15:25 AM »
The map is trying to load unknown/grassp1.  You need to fix that.

I've attached another demo.

Edit: also put the map on the beta server.

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2008, 03:11:10 PM »
I showed him where the unknown texture was weeks ago, I thought he fixed it after I offered to do it for him... guess not

FIX IT!! :D

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2008, 02:50:38 PM »
der. i fixed the ones that you can see while playing. cause in BSP you cant tell one from the other. it must be hidden somewhere or on the underside without me knowing. hmmm :-/

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2008, 06:17:45 PM »
do a replace_texture to replace all instances of unknown/grassp1 with pball/grassp1... it's somewhere in the menu

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2008, 04:57:58 PM »
ok so i finished the texture problem. i have one more thing i want to do before i release beta umm 7? i want to replace the lollipop tree with something sexier like the cardboard trees that FourthX has in ranger. but i searched the forums for how to do it and couldnt find. i also googled quake 2 md2 tree models but found nothing.. help?