Author Topic: General aiming help  (Read 13726 times)

Da_Assassin

• PGP
General aiming help
« on: December 03, 2007, 12:07:20 AM »
Some of you may see me on pubs often as either da assassin or paint assassin. I'm always try'in to improve my aim rather than missing easy open shots at times on opponents. The only advise I have been given is to PGP bots or PGP in general. I've been play'in since June.  My aim isn't the worst, I get some ns from time to time; but I'm very inconsistent.

How much do you veteran and skilled players of DP take ping in account when aiming? Or is it just more of a reflex unconscious thing? I seen to have good reflex shots.

How does fov affect your aim? I'm currently using fov 120.

Is there any general advise you can give me (especially those that see me often)?

Thanks for any responses?

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
Re: General aiming help
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 12:33:13 AM »
I use a 120 fov but fov doesn't really have a whole lot to do with it.  A lot of people say to PGP, but honestly I don't think pgp'ing helps your aim very much.  I would just use the guns you would use if you were in a match.  If you're in a pub then just rush as much as you can, because then you will be forced to aim at people rather than just sitting in one spot and shooting lines which requires no aim.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 01:38:22 AM »
I suggest always move to different areas so you can practice and speed up your aim timing in different situations... Around corners, large open areas, behind you... fov helps me aim quicker in the general area, then its just practicing on pubs and such...

(if you find it hard to practice on pubs because of good players always killing you, try going to a lesser pub with newbies and nonames just until you get a feel for your aiming, then you can work your way up to the faster players)

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 04:33:48 AM »
Lower sensitivity makes for better aiming although you can not turn as quickly.

You also could try using crosshair 0 (no crosshair) so you can get used to aiming without it then when you do have the crosshair it will be easier.

KiLo's Current Settings (and I am halfway decent [sometimes ;D]):
FOV 120
Sensitivity 4
crosshair 1

Sonny

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 06:00:16 AM »
FOV 118
Sensitivity 6
crosshair 6

AsThor

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 07:01:46 AM »
the sensitivity is different from mouse to mouse. if u have sensitivity 20 and u use another mouse it can feel like 8
im using crosshair 6 and fov 125. the only advice i can give u is: playing playing playing

Sonny

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 09:41:06 AM »
yeah asthor. crosshair 6 ftw!

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 11:15:08 AM »
Crosshair, FOV, and sensitivity are entirely personal preference.  These things will not magically fix your aim.  Try to quickly find something that you like and feel comfortable with, then get to work on your aim.  The left/center/right handedness option does make a difference though, I already wrote about it once, so I'll just quote it in this thread.

I have made a little diagram to try to explain what the different hand positions do.  The black X represents your crosshair, the circles represent the flight path of of the 'perfect' paintball leaving your marker(in other words an autococker with steel barrel).  You'll notice that depending on the position of the gun in your hand, it starts from a left, centre, or right offset as it travels to the target.  This provides a slight advantage in very minimal circumstances. 

As much as people cry about it on the pubs, this entire game revolves around "spray", "lining", and prediction shots.  Take a few maps and start looking at some of the angles on the choke points.  Try to understand how your player's visibility comes into play from the perspective of your opponent.  Always try to minimize your visibility, or identify key areas in a map where you'll be at the advantage in terms of seeing your opponents versus them seeing you.  This isn't really specific to aim, but it's integral in you staying alive.

Depth perception and range is the main area where you'll probably spend most of your time starting off.  There aren't many games like PB2 where these play such an important factor in every shot that you fire.  Aiming with the correct depth perception and taking in account the range for the weapon/barrel is absolutely essential.  You really need to put a lot of time in on carbines, automags and autocockers just to be able to compete in matches.  Try to get a feeling of the firing rates of each gun, as well as it's shooting range and the impact that each barrel has on direction of the ball.  A good practice is to start your own server up in the menu (with match-ish settings), load up a map, and type `debug1 1` in the console so that you can join whichever team and jump around without bots getting in the way.  Start standing or running up to areas that you've already identified as being advantageous and getting a feel of where you need to aim to hit where your opponents are known to hang out.  Your focus should be on getting the correct range to the same few openings or chokepoints from multiple locations in the map.  If you're in a clan, you could practice with a teammate to spot where your shots are landing, or even have them stand/crouch at these certain areas just to get an actual idea of where to shoot.  The teammate will also give you an idea of how visible your opponents will be, and will assist in understanding the depth perception of players, as opposed to fixed objects in a map.

At this point, you really need to start rushing into or through these positions and seeing how your shots land as you're in motion.  Your movement has a slight influence on the speed of the paintball, so if you're moving very fast to your left, you can expect your ball to land to the left of where you were aiming, so you need to begin understanding how to properly counter-aim your shots so that they will hit what you're intending.  The same thing applies if you're getting really high vertical speeds (up/down) like on a map like shazam33.  You can't stand still in the open in this game, or you'll die.  Running at someone straight on makes you an easy target as well, so you have to work a little left-right movement into your strafe jumps.

Once you've got the range of the guns down, you should already start seeing some improvements in your aim versus players who are moving.  To hit moving players well, you really have to understand where they're going.  It helps to be really comfortable in both range and depth perception, because you need to identify how far away the opponent is, and how far away they are going so that you can make a shot that will hit them as they pass or arrive to their destination.  It's worth knowing that players who are taking huge jumps have very little control in their direction.  Once someone has pushed off the ground, the arc of their jump will remain pretty consistent.  If you're really good, you'll be able to shoot into people's jump paths, if they're jumping straight at you then it's even easier.

Try to see if anyone will send you some demos of them playing.  Watch them and try to pick up a few things, whether it be: movement, aim, angles, game awareness, etc.; try to find at least one thing in that demo that they do better than you and improve on it.  I've always felt this is the best way to learn anything.

-XB
While DT writes a thesis, I waste time writing stupidly-long DP posts to newbies who are probably too bothered to even read any of this.  Hope someone finds some value in all of this...

Da_Assassin

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 03:52:19 PM »
On pubs with good players I usually have somewhere near a 1:1 kill death ratio give or take. Thanks Xtreme Bain for the thorough response. (Especially the couter-aiming) I rush frequently on pubs. I usually surprise an opponent, and 50/50 I miss the shot an get pwned. I just see the better players do the same thing and rarely miss. I also find that I'm struggling to figure out how far to lead opponents based on their speed.

Xtremebain, are you saying that the paintballs travel below the crosshair at center, (I player with center hand) because I thought it was a little high)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 08:32:45 PM by Da_Assassin »

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 08:14:11 PM »
(if you find it hard to practice on pubs because of good players always killing you, try going to a lesser pub with newbies and nonames just until you get a feel for your aiming, then you can work your way up to the faster players)

Actually I think it's best to play as good of players as possible.

Don't worry XB, I found deep value in what you wrote.

Da_Assassin

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 08:46:20 PM »
I'm also curious how often the veteran players use the hand switching script. Does an optical mouse work more efficiently? I still use the old fashioned mouse with the ball (don't know the proper name for them). I value XtremeBain's post. I hope u don't think I'm a total noob. I'm not getting pwned by newbies and nonames. I'm just tryi'in to get past a halt in improvement.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 09:04:28 PM »
Ball-mice are generally harder to use and less accurate than optical/laser mice.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 09:08:30 PM »
Get off that old "mechnical mouse" and get an optical mouse if you can afford it.  Even a basic logitech one will be better than that mechanical one.  Hand-scripts are only really useful once you've got your aim down.  Their advantage is minimal at best, I'd say that 50% of veterans use them.  I think it's one of those things that come down to personal preference.  I think that your best bet is to learn how to aim with a center hand, and then move to a hand script a little later on once you've got the hang of some of the angles and snap shooting (peeking out from a wall/crate/object just long enough to fire 1-2 shots).

That diagram shows the horizontal plane of travel (like a top/down view).  The vertical component of it depends on the gun/barrel's range.

Xena

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 10:19:57 PM »
optical mouse are cheap now... i think the microsoft optical mouse is under $30... i wouldn't go back to that ball mouse... i haven't tried the new laser mouse so, i can't say it's better.

you just need to practice, my friend ;) know where your opponent is going ;) and i believe there's a little physics involved with the paintball projection.

i dont know what my fov or sensitive setting is so, i go with the "physics" aspect...

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 06:42:06 AM »
Actually I think it's best to play as good of players as possible.

To a point, for newbies, getting killed before even turning around will have a massive detrimental effect.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 12:33:49 PM »
To a point, for newbies, getting killed before even turning around will have a massive detrimental effect.

thats what I meant too, if he dies before getting to shoot and aim then its pointless, but he says he's usually 50:50 with players so its good to play with the better players, it'll get your speed of aiming up...

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 02:39:44 PM »
I've found one thing that sometimes helps me personally is to take each shot, even if I'm using a fast gun, rather than relying on a stream of paint to magically hit my opponent.  In other words, don't run around with the mouse button down.  Aim, then fire.  One shot per click.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »
don't run around with the mouse button down.  Aim, then fire.  One shot per click.

Or better yet, aim for something in the middle.

Herron

• VM-68
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 04:17:20 PM »
i find that taking my speed into account, in addition to my opponent's speed, is very important.  if you're moving north while your opponent is moving south you're going to be leading him a different amount (at least on the first couple of shots if you use only center hand like i do) than if you were both moving south -- i used north/south because i started confusing myself when i was using phrases like "my left" and "his left."

whenever i feel like i need to practice aiming i always load up a couple of decent sized maps and pick a tree or point on a wall and just move and jump around and watch the stream of my paint as i move while i aim in the general direction of my target spot.  if you focus on how the stream of paint changes instead of just staring at the crosshair it's a good way to get a feel for how your movement (and sudden changes to it) will affect your accuracy.  i also like to play 3v1 against bots on oddjob with debug1 turned on to get the feel of how my speed in one direction relates to the speed of someone moving in the other direction and to what extent i need to lead them.  the only downfall of playing against bots is if you're a euro playing on a US server or visa versa because your ping on your own server will not be indicative of what it feels like to play online.

Da_Assassin

• PGP
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 04:34:32 PM »
I've noticed on another computer (a much newer one than my 15in Dell notebook) that a higher resolution a much larger screen, and optical mouse helped significantly.