Author Topic: General aiming help  (Read 13722 times)

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
Re: General aiming help
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
Lekky...

Da_Assassin isn't some newb who is playing his first day.  He is still pretty new, but not to the extent where he is getting shot without even seeing his opponent.  Obviously someone playing for their first day shouldn't go up against top players, but once you get to a certain range of skill level I believe the harder the opponent the more you will learn and the better you will get.

mewa

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 02:39:16 AM »
All these tips seem like very good advice, but I think they reveal the deeper issue. In a game like this it all boils down to the moment, or "the shot". The instant where everything has to go right. It can be pretty entacing to go looking at your setup for the solution, but for all its positives, the amount of options and variability is probably the biggest hurdle in the game. Every time you "tweak" the config, your fundamentally changing your game and all you've gotten used to. I'm not trying to say you shouldnt tweak it, but dont get focused on your config and use it as the crutch.
I've always thought you had a pretty natural shot Assasin, so I was a little shocked when I saw this post. Find the settings that work well and that you can accept. Then just focus on gettin into the game, and that moment.

P.S. - Its the same gig as music. The DP battle that might last seconds is the same "moment" that's lasting minutes in a piece of music. Just figure out how to bring that concentration into DP. GL

Da_Assassin

• PGP
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 12:49:33 AM »
I've just realized that I have been using every weapon either as a carbine (my favorite), autococker, or pgp. How does the paintball travel work with each gun? I was holding a spyder se or w/e and didn't realize how high to aim on a long range shot. I know the arc is different for each gun. I just want a quick comparison before I start working them out individually.

Mewa, lol I have a natural shot. I couldn't even strafe jump until I played this game and warsaw. I can be decent at times especially when I have a carbine.

Rule_

• PGP
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 08:35:38 AM »
For me i always try to predict where there about to go and pre fire. lol haha

flip

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 10:07:21 AM »
In law enforcement and the military we aim at what people call center mass. That way if the ball drops or rises then you still will hit. :P  Actually H@ze helped me when I first started by giving me the advice to adjust my fov and sensitivity slowly to find a happy medium that improved my over-all performance. This helped me with my aim, jumping and over all game play. With Bains post I have changed from right hand to center hand. This actually improved my aim a lot but has but me out in the open more when I try to shoot from cover.

QueeNiE

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2007, 02:52:48 PM »
I find that switching hands and creating a sweeping effect never fails.  Also, I hardly EVER aim directly at someone.

Da_Assassin

• PGP
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 05:20:25 PM »
I never do that. I'm referring to long distance shots and the difference weapons. I'm good at this with the carbine and autococker but am clueless on other weapons. Does a spyder shoot straighter (with less arc) than a carbine? VM8 or w/e, stingray and etc. Seems like the more guns on a map, the worst my aim.

James

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
This is the only useful information you're going to get.

Find one sensitivity and use it. Then use it for the rest of your DP career. That's the only way you're aim will get better.

Byz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2007, 06:58:59 AM »
Fov 101 (was 110)
Sensitivty 7,5
Crosshair 1

Herron

• VM-68
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2007, 08:39:04 AM »
This is the only useful information you're going to get.

Find one sensitivity and use it. Then use it for the rest of your DP career. That's the only way you're aim will get better.

i completely agree with this, and i'd add that you need to stick with one fov as well since fov and sensitivity are interrelated

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2007, 10:12:44 AM »
I never do that. I'm referring to long distance shots and the difference weapons. I'm good at this with the carbine and autococker but am clueless on other weapons. Does a spyder shoot straighter (with less arc) than a carbine? VM8 or w/e, stingray and etc. Seems like the more guns on a map, the worst my aim.

The velocity should help somewhat in knowing which shoots with less arc, overall.

http://digitalpaint.planetquake.gamespy.com/v2/docs/documentation.html

nopyo

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2007, 04:00:37 PM »
You start with a 40 round hopper, other hoppers are:
100 round
200 round
300 round<--- wtf

There's a 300 round hopper?

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2007, 04:02:54 PM »
Used to be. It got unimplemented.

Da_Assassin

• PGP
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2007, 04:32:03 PM »
I think the stick with one sensitivity and fov is great advice. I've been everywhere from 8-35. (I was actually used to 35 at one point). I reset the sensitivity back to 10 (the default I think). I've been play'in a little bit better lately.

nopyo

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2007, 07:16:36 PM »
Used to be. It got unimplemented.

Gotcha. Someone should change the documentation page then.

nightryder

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2007, 07:51:31 PM »
pretty sure he was joking

Herron

• VM-68
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2007, 09:34:52 AM »
he wasn't joking, there really did used to be a 300 round hopper.  look at pball\pics\hopper300.pcx

http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=43.0

Herron

• VM-68
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2007, 11:42:28 AM »
The velocity should help somewhat in knowing which shoots with less arc, overall.

http://digitalpaint.planetquake.gamespy.com/v2/docs/documentation.html

unfortunately, those velocities (if accurate) do not translate to actual distance.  i tested the distances of each gun and compared them to each other; these are my findings from greatest distance to least distance

[greatest]
tracer / carbine (tie for furthest distance)
autococker / pgp (tie)
stingray
spyder (just slightly less distance than stingray)
vm / automag (tie for least distance)
[least]

the test was performed while stationary with real_ball_flight 0, no barrels, centerview prior to each round of testing, hand 2, and default gravity and ball velocity settings.  splattime was increased to 20 in order to maintain a proper reference between the two guns, and the position of the splats was compared both on ground impact (full arc distance) and wall impact (striking the wall on the downward path of the ball's arc) to make sure that a gun that shoots further total distance does not do so merely because it has a less steep velocity falloff (they don't).

i don't know if any of these ranks will change with barrels, but i'm doubtful they will.  i'm too lazy to check though.

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2007, 12:53:34 PM »
unfortunately, those velocities (if accurate) do not translate to actual distance.  i tested the distances of each gun and compared them to each other; these are my findings from greatest distance to least distance

[greatest]
tracer / carbine (tie for furthest distance)
autococker / pgp (tie)
stingray
spyder (just slightly less distance than stingray)
vm / automag (tie for least distance)
[least]

the test was performed while stationary with real_ball_flight 0, no barrels, centerview prior to each round of testing, hand 2, and default gravity and ball velocity settings.  splattime was increased to 20 in order to maintain a proper reference between the two guns, and the position of the splats was compared both on ground impact (full arc distance) and wall impact (striking the wall on the downward path of the ball's arc) to make sure that a gun that shoots further total distance does not do so merely because it has a less steep velocity falloff (they don't).

i don't know if any of these ranks will change with barrels, but i'm doubtful they will.  i'm too lazy to check though.

Good to put theory to the test. Thanks!

m7feettall

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2007, 12:54:53 PM »
It may be the opposite of what some have suggested but I have taken to warming up on Syncmaster's speed pub for a game or two first thing in the day.

You don't want to stay long or you will have a grossly overblown estimate of your abilities. But it does give you a chance to shoot people at every angle and without unnecessary wait time. I have found that my aim has improved by doing so.