Author Topic: Good free sound editor (Wavosaur)  (Read 1244 times)

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Good free sound editor (Wavosaur)
« on: December 03, 2007, 10:37:35 AM »
http://www.wavosaur.com

It's free (well, donation-ware). Executable is under 500 KB, no install, and its features are somewhat comparable to SoundForge.

y00tz

• Autococker
Re: Good free sound editor (Wavosaur)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 11:56:27 AM »
Advertisting, locked.   :P

Mmm comparable to SoundForge?   I've GOT to download it.

Important notes from the website:
The program has no installer and doesn't write in the registry...
The Wavosaur freeware audio editor works on Windows 98, Windows XP and Windows Vista

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 12:02:27 PM »
I haven't tried it entirely since I had to go in the morning (and I'm presently in a computer lab RDPing to my main computer), but from a quick look around, the menus seem to resemble SoundForge a lot. Better than Audacity it looks to be too, however, Audacity has multi-track editing.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 02:43:12 PM »
Last sound editor I used was Audacity.  How does it compare?

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 03:35:11 PM »
Audacity is subpar in comparison.

But Audacity does multi-track, so sometimes I have to boot up Audacity to do stuff.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 04:16:37 PM »
Bumping this as I've been trying to use Wavosaur for a while.  There's something weird about it... like it tries to access the sound card in a different way than other programs, or puts sound through another layer.  For example, if you have your audio settings at 44.1khz and try to play back a 44khz sound, it sounds awful.  The on-the-fly resampling is terrible.  I don't know why it even needs to resample as opposed to sending the sound directly to the sound drivers and letting those resample properly.  The other issue is recording on vista.  It works OK in XP (though I'm still not sure if I trust it), but in vista, I'm getting all kinds of popping and skipping.  If I set the buffer size all the way up, it works OKish up to 48khz, but anything higher than that gets crazy popping.  Audacity doesn't seem to have any issue.  The program is also pretty buggy.  Like the version I had, the right arrow would scroll left, and the left arrow would scroll left faster.  They've fixed that in the new version, but the new version crashes with repeated copy/paste.

Finally, and this is probably a bug with windows, but I had wavosaur in my "open with" context menu.  I tried to switch over to the new version, but explorer steadfastly refuses to open with the new version.  I guess it's because the filenames are different but the application name is the same?  Never had that problem before.

webhead

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 05:14:01 PM »
i use Adobe Audition 1.5 (the re-branded Cool Edit 2.0 with some additional features). it's quite good :)
tried installing audition 3.0 on my vista machine but it didn't work (even though Adobe says it should)...so idk.