Author Topic: What drives away new players?  (Read 23398 times)

FlaMe

• Autococker
Re: What drives away new players?
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2007, 05:28:34 AM »
I say add an IRC client with every zip/install file for the builds... getting people more involved on IRC will get em` to stay around longer and play more competitively

Worst case scenario is they get on IRC and start annoying everyone and spamming TRYOUT?! TRYOUT?! in which case you kb them and hope it teaches them a lesson

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2007, 10:47:30 AM »
I doubt getting involved on IRC is really the problem here, its that many people download the game and play it for like one day. Those people care about how the game plays/looks.

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2007, 01:33:56 PM »
Exactly my point with the IRC. If they get to know the community odds are theyll want to stay longer

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2007, 01:53:43 PM »
Exactly my point with the IRC. If they get to know the community odds are theyll want to stay longer

Or immediately leave.

FlaMe

• Autococker
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2007, 02:28:25 PM »
valid argument =P heh

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2007, 10:28:20 PM »
Cobo...

mIRC would help a ton.  There are sooo many players who play pubs for hours each day, and they have no clue there is any such thing as IRC.

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2007, 08:18:16 AM »
Yeah, I know mIRC would really help, but I think there are more people that leave inmediately than people that plays pubs from time to time and then decides to stop. And mIRC would only help the second one in my opinion, but yeah it would still help.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2007, 08:26:11 AM »
What if we incorporated IRC clients as new tabs, in both the in-game serverbrowser and the external serverbrowser, do you feel that would help migrate newbs to IRC?

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2007, 09:06:58 AM »
Heh, I once turned DP into an IRC client, really primitive console based, though.

But sure it would probably help, I mean, I doubt it would damage the game more than it helps it.

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2007, 01:31:22 AM »
Any chance I could see it Cobo? (The DP irc)

Fullmetal_Steeb

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2007, 03:44:28 PM »
I think the number one reason, hands down, people don't even bother to play one game is the graphics. Why play something so ancient looking when there's things like TF2 and Crysis on the market?

I have a feeling that 3/4 of the people downloading the game probably have little/no experience with other games or their graphics, and just want something free to do. When I started playing, I didn't know how good the graphics in other games were, nor did I really care. I'm just saying, if you think about all these people who download and don't stay to play, they might have been like me. I just had nothing better to play.

BuLLzEyE

• VM-68
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2007, 06:23:16 PM »
Not that I don't love this game, but, it is only thing my POS computer can handle and so, its all I play. Other people with crappy computers like mine would love this game because of the fun factor, but, the game isn't a whole lot of fun until you become a more experienced player, so, even if there are people with bad computers lke mine, they still might not want to keep playing.

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2007, 06:52:53 PM »
I think I played twice then gave up because it was pretty crappy. Got bored a few months later (lots of free time at uni) and picked it up again, and kinda stuck with it.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2007, 07:17:11 PM »
Few years ago, Eiii introduced me to DP, liked it, and played for a bit. After a week, I got bored (which is an accomplishment).

A year or two later, I was kind of bored and talking to a few people on my site, and I remembered DP. We got onto pubs and played togther, but I was able to get up a game server on an extra server we had. A lot of my members played and we had a few 8v8 matches (they were great) for a few weeks. They liked it because, as I saw it, the game was free, not demanding, not "dark" styled, relatively small, and easy to get the hang of.

A year later, we tried it again. I didn't host it though because it wouldn't run. DP lasted about a week or two for everyone. It kind of lost its charm and we had already played about every reasonably playable map released for DP, short of the huge maps that you had to wait 10+ minutes to download. Later, I did get a server up.

Since last year, interest has really waned on and off a lot. Only 1-3 people still play, and still very occasionally. On my forum, stats are updated occasionally that track when my site's members play on my server or on the popular pubs, but that still doesn't get people to join too often.

For me personally, the only thing keeping me on DP now still is the site and that I still do run a server. I do load it up from time to time, because it's old and works well. I can't run other games either because (1) they use PunkBuster and that won't run on this computer (and tech support did not help) or (2) too new for this computer.

/end random personal story

Cobo

• Autococker
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2007, 09:39:09 PM »
Any chance I could see it Cobo? (The DP irc)
Well, its gone now... The irc thing was just another one of my many mini projects that I started, had some fun with it for a while, then deleted.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2007, 09:10:48 AM »
Someone should update the scripts for DPSurfer to tell them if they get distressed and nobody is on IRC, to head to the help section of the forums, preferably with a direct link.

[09:01] <DPSurf21> can any 1 help me
[09:02] * MeMi|AsThor has quit IRC (Quit)
[09:02] <DPSurf21> i dont know i need help
[09:07] * DPSurf21 has quit IRC (Quit)
[09:07] * DPSurf46 has joined #paintball
[09:07] <[QeHs]Serv> Hey DPSurf46. Welcome to #Paintball!! Home of Digital Paint: Paintball2. If you have a question let us know and someone will help you a.s.a.p

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2007, 10:18:29 AM »
Someone should update the scripts for DPSurfer to tell them if they get distressed and nobody is on IRC, to head to the help section of the forums, preferably with a direct link.

As bad as DT's script is, the quote would have been much better had it been included, or had he been in #paintball when this happenned.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2007, 03:43:42 PM »
As bad as DT's script is, the quote would have been much better had it been included, or had he been in #paintball when this happenned.

Here it is for those who don't know:

"<DirtyTaco> Hey DPSurfer. Welcome to #Paintball!! Home of Digital Paint: Paintball2. If you have a question please type it like you have 9 times before and someone will ignore it as soon as they aren't busy!"

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2007, 06:06:48 PM »
...Is that derived from the !quote I'm involved in, or vice versa?

BuLLzEyE

• VM-68
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2008, 05:55:11 PM »
Another suggestion is having like a "tip of the day" type thing when they open DP.  Have most of the tips relating to getting on IRC and stuff.  You could have a command to disable the tip from coming up which you could tell to the players on IRC and on the forums.

That kind of reminds me of when you join a server...  ::)